Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 17 Replies | 6 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 240
traildancer Posted: Fri, Nov 16 2012 12:21 PM

Hello, everyone.

I had a lovely post composed, hit preview, then back and lost it all.  Oh, well.

I live in southern Oregon and mostly ride horses.  But I do find/make time to quilt. 

I started a couple of years ago when I saw "Spring Storm" by Toni Whitney.  I knew I had to make one of those.  It took over a year to finally start, and by then I had forgotten which fabrics were for which pieces!  Now I label every fabric as I choose it.  So I made it and didn't like it so I gave it away and made another and then another.  What I like about the art quilts, is that I can take one pattern and tweak it for my friends.  I made the horse look like their own horse and then picked border fabrics in their favorite colors.

This year I turned 50 and my mother offered to buy me a quilt and quilt it for me.  She has a long-arm machine.  Not one to do the easy thing, I chose "Northern Expressions" as my quilt.  Mom had a finished top so I could see how it looked.  Really a neat idea combining pieced blocks with Alaska-themed appliques.  (I grew up in AK.)  I have finished one top and am almost done with a second one which I am giving to Mom as a thank you for the birthday present.  Next month I am going to AK and will bring these tops with me for her to quilt.  I am also working on McKenna Ryan's "Petals of My Heart II" for a friend who moved.  We went halvesies (is that a word?) on the pattern and fabric because she wanted to learn how to quilt.  But then she moved, so I offered to make hers for her (yikes) and then I will make mine.  I'm half done and want to get it done to take with me so Mom can quilt it.  Whew.

Next year my daughter is getting married and I offered to make her a quilt.  However, I have decided to wait until after the first of the year to even start looking.

The rest of my life?  Well, I've been married for 27 years and we have two children.  We have five horses, three dogs and one cat.  I ride my horses between 800 and 1000 miles a year, mostly in the mountains of Oregon.  We camp and pack in with the horses and dogs.  I play the keyboard/piano and sing on the worship team at church.  And I proctor tests several days a week to finance my pursuits.

The trail is the thing .... Louis L'Amour

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,657
Points 136,092
Leslie replied on Fri, Nov 16 2012 1:33 PM

Welcome Traildancer

[Ava, Missouri

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Hi traildancer and it is nice to meet you.

traildancer:
I had a lovely post composed, hit preview, then back and lost it all.  Oh, well.

I so feel your pain. I finally had to walk away earlier, which was a good thing as I have cut about half of my MQ7 2nd step. BTW, where do you live in Oregon, if you don't mind saying, I'm not very far from Ontario and my son lives a few miles north of La Grande.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Fri, Nov 16 2012 2:02 PM

Welcome Traildancer!  Your quilts sound lovely.  I hope we'll get to see pictures of some of them.  A bunch of us are coming to Oregon next fall for a quilt retreat on the coast.  

Are you a test proctor at a college?  I used to work in the public schools and I thought we ran a lot of testing, but certainly not every week.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 240

I live in Glide outside of Roseburg.

I give GED tests and other on-line certification tests at the community college.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,547
Points 417,049
gini replied on Fri, Nov 16 2012 2:31 PM

hi traildancer, welcome to the group

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 240

Hi, gini.  I am curious about the quilt in your avatar?  I tried to click on it to see if it would enlarge, but no.  Any info?  Thanks.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,703
Points 179,728
Marie replied on Fri, Nov 16 2012 3:04 PM

traildancer:
I live in southern Oregon and mostly ride horses.  But I do find/make time to quilt. 

Welcome Traildancer, looks like you have a pretty full and busy life.  Get ready to be busier, most of us keep up a pretty fast pace and we talk, post, a lot.  :  )  Fun, fun group.  Enjoy!

Millbury, MA

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 936
Points 15,850
Marge P replied on Fri, Nov 16 2012 4:16 PM

Welcome Traildancer - you live in a nice part of Oregon - have lived many years in the Medford, Shady Cove and Prospect areas and also 3 1/2 years in Ukiah OR.   Back in Washington now and have now lived here almost  twice as many years as Oregon.  

Glad you found us and am sure you will enjoy the site and the folks here very much.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,846
Points 248,979
Barbara replied on Fri, Nov 16 2012 5:46 PM

Traildancer, welcome to the club. sounds like you keep very busy, You will love it here ,we have lots of members out your way I'm sure you will meet them here soon.  Look foward to seeing your quilts and again welcome.  Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Fri, Nov 16 2012 9:09 PM

traildancer:
I am curious about the quilt in your avatar

Traildancer, if you click on Gini's name, and then click into her gallery, you will find a picture of this quilt.  Each time you click on the picture, it will enlarge.  I remember she said that she made this for a friend based on a photo.  

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Fri, Nov 16 2012 9:29 PM

Hi trailancer, welcome to QCA! 

We have family in Riddle...small world, isn't it.

Winthrop, WA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Fri, Nov 16 2012 9:38 PM

traildancer:
What I like about the art quilts, is that I can take one pattern and tweak it for my friends.

I did notice your interest in art quilts.  You might want to go to the Groups Section of QCA and click on the Grazy Art Qulter's Group; then the media section to see some more art quilts. 

Both Gini and I do art quilts fairly regularly.  You can also check out my gallery, if you like.  I have a few of mine posted there. To get there, click on my name (at the top of this post) - which will take you to my homepage, then click on "my gallery" to see my quilt pictures...including my art quilts.

Winthrop, WA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,055
Points 369,272
Kris replied on Sun, Nov 18 2012 9:00 PM

Welcome Traildancer.

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 240

Thank you for the info on how to look at someone's gallery.  Your quilts are lovely.

• | Post Points: 35
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use