Page 2 of 2 (29 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 28 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 936
Points 15,850
Marge P replied on Fri, Nov 16 2012 4:23 PM

What a shocker this news was.  When you see a brand like Wonder Bread going down the tube along with all the wonderful goodies, it is sad.  Praying for all the folks who have worked for them for years and this is what they end up with.  Not fair at all.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,850
Points 85,825
Sukochi replied on Fri, Nov 16 2012 4:42 PM

This is very sad for the employees. However, when Unions bring pay up so high then demand healthcare and pensions that the company can not afford this is what happens.

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,904
Points 40,845
ls2116 replied on Fri, Nov 16 2012 5:06 PM

Oh my Gosh I just seen on news!  I simply can't believe it !  They can't stop making the Wonder Bread Even if some critics say its not healthy my tastebuds prefer this bread!  Too anounce this not only do I think it is an infringement on another of our freedoms  What is this world becoming? I'm first in line to sign a petition to keep this company.  Many would say boy she has her feathers ruffled over bread but to me its a way of life.  I'm praying louder now.  What if we all went to their website and left our voice would it change anything.

Quilting My Rainbow

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Fri, Nov 16 2012 9:58 PM

MNnancy:
 Twinkies and Wonderbread can't be marketed as healthy products, but they can fill the bill for those who are nostalgic. 

Jan and I went this afternoon to quilt with some friends and on the way, in a nastalgia moment, picked up some Twinkies, DingDongs, Hostess Cupcakes, etc.etc.  At 3pm we all took a moment (away from our quilting)  to tell about a "Hostess goody" memory from our childhood and then did some taste testing to see if they tasted as good as we remembered.  We all agreed the cupcakes tasted the very best!

Winthrop, WA

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 89
Points 780
uaniquilt replied on Fri, Nov 16 2012 10:18 PM

You need tell the Union to be reasonable and compromise .  The company doesn't want to close , but the Union with their ridiculous demands Leave them no choice.  Denny's is now probably adding a 5% charge on their menu items  to cover Obama Care.  Nothing is FREE!  

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Fri, Nov 16 2012 10:36 PM

I am so sorry Wendy that it has worked out this way.  The cut and reduction in benefits Wonder wanted the union to agree to was very large.  But the loss of work to so many is very sad.

I hope this will open the door to even better things for your husband.  You and your family have my prayers.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Patti:
I hope this will open the door to even better things for your husband.  You and your family have my prayers.

I agree Wendy, you and yours are in my T&Ps...

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 795
Points 12,825
Quiltless replied on Sat, Nov 17 2012 1:29 AM

I'm sure it is a very complex situation for all involved.  I'm not so quick to blame "the unions." 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,579
Points 139,858
Stephanie replied on Sat, Nov 17 2012 7:54 AM

So, so sorry Wendy,

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,132
Points 28,645
Wendy replied on Sat, Nov 17 2012 7:21 PM

uaniquilt:
You need tell the Union to be reasonable and compromise .  The company doesn't want to close , but the Union with their ridiculous demands Leave them no choice.  Denny's is now probably adding a 5% charge on their menu items  to cover Obama Care.  Nothing is FREE!

I hope that you realize that my husbands wages were frozen  5 years ago. I also hope that you know that two years ago he  took a $15,000.00 cut in pay to help the company stay afloat after their first bankruptcy. And did you know that as of November 1st. He took an 8% cut in pay, an insurance increase of 50% and a freeze on his pension. Please understand that what little retirement we did have is now gone.  I hope that you know that NONE of the people in UTAH went on strike.(this is where we are) They have showed up for work everyday.  They have been loyal to Wonder, and stood by them and the decision that they have had to make.  It took 3,000 bakers who were unwilling to negotiate to put 18,000 out of work.

Before you post make sure it is an accurate post please.

I have been a member of this club scene it started with a bunch of friends on here. This post was started so that I could ask for thought and prayers during a very difficult time in my life. Not for a bashing session for those who have strong political positions. 

Thank you Kath for your very eloquent  and accurate post of this situation.  I am thankful that I have had the fortune of meeting you in person.  And to all of those who have sent good feeling my way. It is greatly appreciated.

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
Donna K replied on Sat, Nov 17 2012 8:22 PM

I am new to this site but when I read your email my heart went out to you and all the others.  I can't even imagine what you are going through. I know what it is like to worry every month if my check is late. But I fear even more that this is just the tip of the iceberg and  there are even worse things in our future coming soon. I pray for all of us.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,904
Points 40,845
ls2116 replied on Sat, Nov 17 2012 10:49 PM

Ifeel so bad for everyone affected by all the closings.  I know my husband worked in auto related business that closed when i had young babies It was a difficult time. I'm praying and wishing that the next time you post on this that things are looking brighter .  I'm not trying to be political but there has to be a silver lining somewhere.  What if the company just changed names but kept its trained workers ,  I'm just really hoping beyond hope that it will all turn around.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Mon, Nov 19 2012 9:18 PM

From today's news, it sounds like it is not over yet.  Keep praying!

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,904
Points 40,845
ls2116 replied on Tue, Nov 20 2012 10:57 AM

I'm praying big time on the subject.

Quilting My Rainbow

Page 2 of 2 (29 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use