Quilting motif suggestions

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 12 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Female
57 Posts
Points 1,140
Judy posted on Thu, Nov 15 2012 6:12 PM

I am new to quilting so I don't have a lot of experience. I am in theprocess of this lap quilt and I can't figure out how I should quilt the inside of this panel. It is 16 x 20. So far, I stitched in the ditch and want to fill in soem of the squares, butmy main problem is the large panel with the words. Should I just quilt over the words? I have to do something because it is such a big area.

Any suggestions?

Judy Kay - Stow Ohio

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 500 Contributor
Female
122 Posts
Points 2,165
Answered (Verified) Sherry replied on Wed, Nov 21 2012 8:50 AM
Verified by Judy

i have 4 brides next year, where did yu

• | Post Points: 40

All Replies

Top 150 Contributor
Female
513 Posts
Points 10,435

All I can see of the words is "Days of Togetherness." I'm thinking maybe some interlocking hearts or something that goes along with whatever the words are about. I think it's OK to quilt over the words- I just wouldn't make the quilting too dense.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
2,574 Posts
Points 36,060
ls2116 replied on Thu, Nov 15 2012 7:20 PM

What about embroidered straight lines  under wording like lined paper.  I think I would do it by hand.

Quilting My Rainbow

Not Ranked
Female
57 Posts
Points 1,140
Judy replied on Thu, Nov 15 2012 7:53 PM

Thanks, That sounds like a great idea. It's a lap quilt for a couple getting married. I want to give it at the bridal shower. I'm going to try and run with this. Must decide soon. Shower is Saturday!!

Judy Kay - Stow Ohio

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
57 Posts
Points 1,140
Judy replied on Thu, Nov 15 2012 7:54 PM

That's a good idea too. I don't have time for this one, but maybe the next one. I have the same panel for another couple.

Judy Kay - Stow Ohio

Top 150 Contributor
Female
513 Posts
Points 10,435

When it's done, post a closeup photo of it so we can see it, OK?

Not Ranked
Female
57 Posts
Points 1,140
Judy replied on Fri, Nov 16 2012 9:42 AM

I will do that. Right now I have print outs, cut outs, stencils, markers you name it all over my sewing room and the living room. My husband is laughing watching me get ready for my maiden design quilting experience. I am ready to start, but decided to check emails, pattern for MQ7 and have a strong cup of coffee before I get started.

I have decided that no matter how this comes out, I am giving it to my nephew and his new bride.(I have been known to not give or ditch quilts that I think  have too many mistakes)  Hopefully when I make quilts for their babies, (when they come) they will be able to see improvement.

Judy Kay - Stow Ohio

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,923 Posts
Points 26,980
Ramona replied on Fri, Nov 16 2012 1:32 PM

Judy Kay,

I had thought about the straight lines but I think the hearts would be a good idea.  I agree about not doing too much quilting in there.  Can't wait to see what you do.

Not Ranked
Female
57 Posts
Points 1,140
Judy replied on Wed, Nov 21 2012 6:35 AM

I did the hearts on the middle section and the little hearts on the border. I wanted to do a vine heart thing around the outer border, but that was too challenging for me. I did not finish the binding hand work until 2 AM on Saturday morning. I needed strong coffee and chocolate!

I gave them the quilt on Saturday at their wedding shower. They really loved it. As it turned out, I got their early so the gift was the last one that they opened. (It was on the table first) She read the poem out loud, It was kind of a cool ending to opening all of the gifts. I am happy that it will get a lot of use as a lap quilt. The colors match all of their other stuff. They were especially happy that I picked fabric that the dog hair would not stick to. My nephew has a big dog who gets on the sofa.

I have another of the same panel to make one for my nephew on my husband's side. Second one should go easier.

Judy Kay - Stow Ohio

• | Post Points: 50
Top 150 Contributor
Female
513 Posts
Points 10,435

Judy- It's sooo nice! Your quilting turned out beautifully. Congratulations on meeting the deadline!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
122 Posts
Points 2,165
Answered (Verified) Sherry replied on Wed, Nov 21 2012 8:50 AM
Verified by Judy

i have 4 brides next year, where did yu

• | Post Points: 40
Not Ranked
Female
57 Posts
Points 1,140
Judy replied on Thu, Nov 22 2012 9:22 PM

I ordered it on-line at blockpartystudios.com

Judy Kay - Stow Ohio

Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,057 Posts
Points 170,727
MNnancy replied on Thu, Nov 22 2012 11:51 PM

Judy, I really like how your hearts turned out!  Way to go!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use