Top 10 Posters

Now I need to know how many spools of thread to make a quilt with?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Female
62 Posts
Points 1,120
Lindsey posted on Wed, Nov 14 2012 7:57 AM

Hi again!

Now I'm going to be a pain and ask if I stitched in the ditch and did a diagnal line across the quilt, how much thread in your opinion do you think that would use? This is a queen size quilt!

I've got 2 spools of the King Tut but I now need to order some plain king tut for the underneath side!

Thanks again, ya'll must be fed up with me by now!

Happy stitiching, Lindsey, Norfolk, UK

• | Post Points: 20

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,817 Posts
Points 248,489

Lindsey, that is going to depend on what size your spools are . and how much quilting you are going to do on your quilt.  If you use the Aurfil  and have the reg size spools I'd have two on hand just to be safe , I really don't know with the King Tut as I only buy the huge spools of this tread and that works with just one. Sorry I couldn't be more help there. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Wed, Nov 14 2012 8:07 AM

Lindsey, I have had the worst luck quilting with King Tut, my Pfaff 4.0 does not like it one bit.  I should send you my spool.

My machine is happiest when I use thinner Aurifil or poly thread.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,817 Posts
Points 248,489

Annie I'm with you ,I love the King Tut for piecing but my machine does not like it for quilting. I can use the Arufil for quilting if I use the 50 wt .My machine didn't llike the 40 wt ,but then again I have not tried it since I got the Janome needles. I'll have to give it a try and see how it works with the new needles. LOL  

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 200 Contributor
Female
402 Posts
Points 6,110
Pat M. replied on Wed, Nov 14 2012 8:21 AM

Here is a general guide.  This came from Superior Threads and is for top thread only.  Double the amount if using the same thread for the bobbin.

Lap or Crib--200 yds. for light quilting; 400 yds. for medium; 600 for heavy

Twin-400 yds. for light; 800 yds. for medium; 1200 yds. for heavy

Queen-600 yds. forlight; 1000 yds. for medium; 1600 yds. for heavy

King--700 yds. for light; 1500 yds. for medium; 2000 yds. for heavy

Remember--this is for top thread only!

superiorthreads.com has lots of useful info.

Pat--"Keep Calm and Carry On"

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
62 Posts
Points 1,120

Barabara, Annie and Pat, thanks very much for your help! I'm going to exchange the Bottom Line polyester thread with Aurifil in 50 wt in 2 spools of white! 

phew! It's amazing how much trying to make a decision on something so simple can be so stressful! Lol!

Will let you know how I get on and will send a picture to update you on my blog!

Thanks again and happy stitching! Lindsey, Norfolk, UK

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use