Top 10 Posters

Help I am looking for a sewing machine that embroiders.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 5
Points 205
michelle Posted: Tue, Nov 13 2012 2:17 PM

I am looking for a good basic machine that I can do some quilting with and some embroidering. Who makes the best machine?

Michelle

Michelle

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

First off I wanted to say Hi and nice to meet you. As to your question, I'm sure you will get lots of different answers as everyone has their favorite machine or several :) I don't have an embroidery machine so cannot help you on that front, but I know you will get lots of help from others. Again, nice to meet you.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

BTW, I also wanted to say that I have a Janome 6600 and I really like it, I also have a brother 1500s and it is a great machine.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,562
Points 139,613
Stephanie replied on Tue, Nov 13 2012 3:00 PM

Hi Michelle,

We all have different thoughts on this depending on the machines we own.

I think it really comes down to how much you can afford to spend. Some of the less expensive embroidery machines are embroidery only and require cards to do your designs with and will only do a 4x4 design. You will quickly outgrow that and it won't meet your quilting needs. If you are going to quilt your own quilts, you really need a minimum of 9 inch throat plate to do larger quilts. Of course, then there is also the software to consider. A minimum of $400.00-500.00 there. I'd say a minimum of $3500.00 will get you what you're looking for to do both. You can also keep your eyes out at your local dealer for good used trade in's. Most will warranty even a used machine for a year. I think buying from a dealer is important as well because you're going to have to have service from time to time and it's nice to have someone close.     

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,115
Points 29,745
Ramona replied on Tue, Nov 13 2012 3:46 PM

Hi Michelle,

Welcome to the site! You'll love it here.  As for machines, I have a Husqvarna Designer SE and love it.  The hoops are 150 mm (6 inches) wide and I wish I could do larger for quilts. My friend has a Pfaff with the really large hoops.  I would at least like to do the 200 x 200. Good luck on your purchase.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Tue, Nov 13 2012 4:46 PM

I have a Husqvarna Topaz, that I purchased on sale . it does embroidery and quilts as it has a nice throat space. It has two size hoops I'm sorry I don't remember the sizes but one is med and one is lager ,but I can purchase more if needed. I was lucky and got this for 1800.00 You just have to check with the dealers and watch for the trade-ins and sales .But for what you are wanting to do ,you are going to have to spend a little money. There are just so many good brands ,try them out and find the one that meets your needs and do go thru a dealer .  good luck .barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,560
Points 246,127
Thea replied on Tue, Nov 13 2012 5:43 PM

Michelle - you will get tons of different answers here - 

The cadillac of machines is the Bernina - if you can afford one - they are very nice...

Next is the Pfaff or Viking - both by the same company now - The Viking has a bigger hoop for their used to be top of the line machine but now the middle size machine - a 2170 in the Pfaff - very very nice machine... I love the stitch that mine has but you need to find a very good technician to take care of your machine...

Brother and Janome are the least expensive of the embroidery/sewing machine - I have a stand alone Brother that only does embroidery and does a fine job... not that expensive and has a good size hoop... I don't like it as much as I like my Pfaff but most wouldn't see any difference.

Singer is in that same group.

All of these companies have different types of embroidery machine too - the top of the line does an embroidery that  is huge - no turning or splitting of the designs.  Most of the designs i have done have been able to be done in the 5x7 hoop which is the biggest my Pfaff holds - My Brother has a 6x 10 hoop which is what the Viking has.

the bigger that the hoop is for the machine the more costly the machine becomes - the Bernina is around 13,000 - these are top of the line machines with the biggest hoops - the Pfaff / Viking machines run around 8,000 ... The Janome around 5,000 - The Brother / Singer around 3000-4000... 

You can get smaller machines that run between 300 - 800... 

So it all depends on what you want and how much you want to spend... whatever machine you get though you have to make sure that you have a good technician that you can take it to.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 5
Points 205
michelle replied on Wed, Nov 14 2012 8:45 AM

Thanks- you made a good piont about buying from a dealer!

Michelle

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use