Page 2 of 4 (47 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 46 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,115
Points 29,745
Ramona replied on Tue, Nov 13 2012 8:50 PM

I prefer to cook the meal but DH says this year we are going out and save me all the work. Taking the family of about 18 out for a buffet at the Radison.  I have always been the one to fix the meal since 1977. Even though I have 3 grown girls none have volunteered to take over the duties nor do they help with clean up. (Somethings wrong with this picture)

Anyway, when I do cook we have turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, gravy, green beans with some ham in them, potatoe salad, cranberry sauce, watergate salad, apple salad, broccoli rice casserole, deviled eggs, rolls, pecan pie, apple pie and ice cream.  As soon  as the clean up is done it's off to the stores for, litteraly,  30 hours of shopping. I usually meet up with one of our daughters and then our son to shop. This year there will be another daughter in the mix.  I enjoy the shopping, time with the kids,  the most.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 703
Points 11,570
Bev replied on Tue, Nov 13 2012 9:20 PM

LaJuan Sukochi Lee:

And here is something that you may not have ever heard. When the bird is sbaked with the mixture of your choice in ti's body cavity, it is called "stuffing". BUT,  when it is mixed up, put in a cassarole and baked outside the bird, it is called" dressing". Or, is that just in the South? I think, but could be very wrong here, that dressing is the first choice of TRUE Sounthern cooks. At least, that is what I was taught in Charm School.,from which I was thrown OUT! 

Sukochi, I have always thought that to be the difference between stuffing and dressing. I was watching my favorite cooking show "The Chew" and the Pros agree with you.

I have to say I have never stuffed a turkey although I am stuffed after eating on this day.lol

from TN

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 703
Points 11,570
Bev replied on Tue, Nov 13 2012 9:27 PM

I agree with Marie about Black Friday mainly because we have spent a lot of time preparing and enjoying our Thanksgiving gathering that the day after if we are off work is spent relaxing and eating leftovers. Got to love those turkey sandwiches!!

from TN

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 703
Points 11,570
Bev replied on Tue, Nov 13 2012 9:32 PM

Thea, your menu is very similar to mine except we have an asparagus casserole, baked ham and sweet and unsweetened ice tea.

from TN

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,165
Nana replied on Tue, Nov 13 2012 9:42 PM

Frances

We usually do Thanksgiving at my house.  All the kids and grandkids are usually here.  This year I don't think my son is going to be able to come home from work for Thanksgiving and oldest DD and her DH are planning on going to his parents for the day this year.   We have basically the same menu as everyone else has described.   Me and my girls and one son in law like to go Black Friday shopping.  We usually are at the stores as soon as they open on the night of Thanksgiving.  I just enjoy watching everybody and spending time with my "kids".

Vinton, Virginia

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 66,013
Jeanine replied on Tue, Nov 13 2012 9:48 PM

This year we have my in laws, bil and sil, 2-3 of our kids, 2 spouses and a grandson coming.  Mainly, we just hangout, play board games, talk, eat and drink.  It is a good time to just kick back and enjoy your blessings.  Turkey and bread stuffing, rolls, potatoes, pumpkin pie.  And they usually don't let me quilt!  But that's ok.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,518
Points 48,260
Frances replied on Tue, Nov 13 2012 11:53 PM

Thank you everyone,

For letting me know, it all sounds great but.......Black friday shopping (i had never heard of that) that long shopping seriously you are insane, it sounds a bit like the January sales in London over here where you have people sleeping outside Harrods to be the first one in for the sales, Me never I hate shopping (unless its for Patchwork fabric).

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 66,013
Jeanine replied on Wed, Nov 14 2012 7:24 AM

I only go to Joann's on Black Friday to stock up on my flannel.  It is $1.50 a yard.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,849
Points 85,805
Sukochi replied on Wed, Nov 14 2012 7:55 AM

Oh, Frances, now I would sleep outside Harrods. I love that store!!!!

Sukochi

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Wed, Nov 14 2012 8:05 AM

I go no where on Black Friday.  I've come to dislike shopping, as I become more of an internet buyer.  

We eat lots, like the rest, on Thanksgiving.  This year I was thinking about going out for dinner, but my Mom already started buying the fixins so I didn't even bring it up.

Happy Turkey Day (soon), all

I'm getting hungry just reading about all the yummy food thats going to be made 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Wed, Nov 14 2012 8:15 AM

Thanks Jeanine ,I may have to break my rule about not shopping on Black Friday and check this deal out . Wonderful price for flannel . Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,605
Points 178,428
Marie replied on Wed, Nov 14 2012 9:43 AM

LaJuan Sukochi Lee:
that is what I was taught in Charm School.,from which I was thrown OUT! 

ROFLOL  You are too funny Sukochi!  You are right about the stuffing/dressing, I did a little of both and like Barbara said there is a difference in taste.  The stuffing of coarse is tastier because of all the drippings from the turkey.    

Millbury, MA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,606
Points 52,025
Ginny replied on Wed, Nov 14 2012 10:23 AM

I do dressing in the in the oven in the dish, but, I also moisten the dressing with pan juices--so it tastes as if it came from the bird.   One year someone else did the turkey at their house so I didn't have any pan drippings to add and I was told it wasn't quite as good as usual.They thought I had done the dressing differently.  Actually I don't even use the pan juices from the bird.  As the bird is roasting, I cook the giblets and neck on the stovetop in water seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic and parsley and that is the juice that I use.      Ginny

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Wed, Nov 14 2012 11:02 AM

Ginny ,that is what I use to do as well ,but now I cook them and this is my Angel's  dinner ,I mix it with her dry food. she loves it ..LOL   

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,849
Points 85,805
Sukochi replied on Wed, Nov 14 2012 12:37 PM

So funny, after saying on here this a.m. we went to the thrirt shop and there was a sweatshirt that said LONDON with Harrods underneath. Had it not been a small, I would have bought that. I think it was well with $4.00.

Only got as far as two thrift shops in Ellijay, today. Never made it out of town. Went to Cap't D's for lunch. I had broilded salmon, with scampi sauce, steamed broccoli and mac and chees. YAY, I could eat that soft food. However, when I was finished, my four tiny bites of each thing on the plate, I was so stuffed.Jjim said it did not even look like anyone had eaten a single bite of that food. Brought it home for supper tonight, lunch tomorrow, supper, tomorrow night.....!

So tired now, will go in and do some cutting and sewing on what I will use for wrapping for my S.S.

Sukochi

Page 2 of 4 (47 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use