rated by 0 users
This post has 46 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,508
Points 48,175
Frances Posted: Tue, Nov 13 2012 12:39 PM

Hi Everyone,

Please i just wanted to ask how do you all celebrate Thanksgiving, since im across the pond and dont celebrate i just wondered what you all got up to.

lots of love

Francesxx

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Frances, we do celebrate Thanksgiving. We should be thankful everyday and I do try to, but it is a good day to reflect on all we have to Thank God for. We will probably go to our youngest daughters unless the roads are bad and then we will stay home but we will talk to everyone on the phone.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 636
Points 9,445
MaggieNae replied on Tue, Nov 13 2012 1:00 PM

Most people spend the day cooking, eating and not going to work (for two days).  Then there's the shopping, Black Friday it's called.  That actually starts now on Thursday night.  A lot of people spend the holiday with family.  It's the most travelled time of the year.  It beomes a four day weekend before the weather gets really bad in most places.  But every family has their own traditions of what food is prepared.  We do a turkey with oyster dressing.  It's a good day to let your pants out.

Margaret

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,144
Points 14,805
Dawn replied on Tue, Nov 13 2012 1:37 PM

We celebrate twice.  Since everyone in my family can't get together on the day we will celebrate on the Saturday after.  We don't celebrate w/DH's family anymore, just toooooooooo many of us.  At last count, if everyone came, around 80.  My family is smaller, just 20 or so.   DD is having us over on Thursday.  We will have something totally different than the turkey, stuffing, potatoes and so on.  Since we will have that on Saturday anyway.  Not sure if we are doing the Black Friday sales or not, it is fun to be out w/the crowds and all.  But as far as prices being "better" we find that isn't the case most of the time, so why get up at 3 in the morning?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,948
Points 368,262
Kris replied on Tue, Nov 13 2012 1:42 PM

My in-laws get together (usually at MIL's house). She cooks we eat and have a good time. I watch football too.

This year the MIL and FIL will be going south and I'll be on call for thanksgiving weekend so we're celebrating Thanksgiving and Christmas this weekend. Tree, trimmings, food, and presents. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Tue, Nov 13 2012 1:43 PM

Frances I celebrate with my son, we have our big  dinner ,which is usually a turkey breast ,Dressing  we both like cornbread dressing , sweet potato casserole  YUM , green bean casserole , cranberry sauce , rolls ,and pumpkin pie .. Then after we pig out on the food ,we watch football  the rest of the day.  and nap... we are such slugs .LOL     Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,849
Points 85,825
Sukochi replied on Tue, Nov 13 2012 2:01 PM

Normally, Jim and I just stay home by ourselves. His fam is not really interested in sharing Holidays with us. But, this year we have been invited to join the fray at their lake house. Will take pies and the requisite sweet potato casserole with marshmellows.

We don't do black friday. I used to be the first one at the Mall, but that was when I was young and had the stamina to fight crowds and duke it out with some idiot woman who wants the same, and last available, sweater that I had my hooks in FIRST.  Frances, you have probably never seen the shopping frenzy that is now called Black Friday. People get in fist fights over the lowest priced most popualr electronic gadges, toys, whatever.t

Sukochi

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,549
Points 245,907
Thea replied on Tue, Nov 13 2012 2:09 PM

We celebrate thanksgiving in my home.  I fix a turkey and all the fixins to go with it.  It doesn't matter if it is just Jay and myself - we have the huge meal.  Except for last year when we went to MN, I have invited airmen(when I was still active) that couldn't go home to come to my home - since I retired - we invite single members from our ward to our house... some of the widows whom love to celebrate but either are unable to visit family or unable to make the meal themselves.

We open our home and everyone knows that dinner is served right after the 1st football game of the day is over... 

We all say thank you for what ever touches our hearts on that day!  We celebrate the USA and the wonderful country that it is!

I usually find the wish bone and put it on one of the doors in the kitchen to dry until next year and give take the old bone down and give it to the youngest - or the oldest member at our table to break and make a wish.

My family and I celebrate thankfulness each day - that is how we end each day by thanking the Lord for the day we have just had.  It is a good end to each day and you sleep a lot better.

Dinner:  Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, brocolli cauliflower and cheese casserole, cranberry sauce, green olives with pimentos, pickles, gravy, pumpkin pie, apple pie, pecan pie, chocolate chip cookies... I know I am missing something else - oh home made rolls - but something else is missing...

It is a day of thankfulness for a great meal and hopefully some great football games and for the good ole USA and freedom.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,529
Points 177,453
Marie replied on Tue, Nov 13 2012 5:24 PM

Frances, we do pretty much the same as what everyone else is saying here, give or take a vegetable or two and a pie or two.  It's all about getting families together and being thankful for our blessings.  As for Black Friday, never did it and would not even think of doing it.  It's one tradition this world could do without.

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,849
Points 85,825
Sukochi replied on Tue, Nov 13 2012 6:41 PM

And here is something that you may not have ever heard. When the bird is sbaked with the mixture of your choice in ti's body cavity, it is called "stuffing". BUT,  when it is mixed up, put in a cassarole and baked outside the bird, it is called" dressing". Or, is that just in the South? I think, but could be very wrong here, that dressing is the first choice of TRUE Sounthern cooks. At least, that is what I was taught in Charm School.,from which I was thrown OUT! 

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,656
Points 136,082
Leslie replied on Tue, Nov 13 2012 7:00 PM

Sukochi, I make good ol cornbread dressing, My Mama, is after all a Georgia Peach, she taught me how to cook, the southern way lol

[Ava, Missouri

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,656
Points 136,082
Leslie replied on Tue, Nov 13 2012 7:03 PM

Oh and don't forget the Giblet Gravy

[Ava, Missouri

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,458
Points 416,719
gini replied on Tue, Nov 13 2012 7:41 PM

ours is almost exactly like thea's    my mom's family still gets together for most holidays.  we're cooking this year.   sam is cooking, i am cleaning.

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,829
Points 39,940
ls2116 replied on Tue, Nov 13 2012 8:21 PM

Normally we go to SIL house,but this year has been everything but normal for husbands Family with two members having strokes finding out Nephew has fatal condition and BIL another illness. Were not in exactly the most celabratory mindset but I will tell you I'll be praying as I do everyday. I'm thankful for just the chance to sew another quilt.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Tue, Nov 13 2012 8:32 PM

Sukochi ,we call it the same stuffing in the bird and dressing when its a casserole. and the funny thing ,they actually taste different when cooked that way.  

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Page 1 of 4 (47 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use