Top 10 Posters

dresden pattern

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 8 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
19 Posts
Points 605
newquilter58 posted on Mon, Nov 12 2012 9:43 PM

I have a question about using the dresden plate ruler.  When you get ready to cut your strips, does it matter if you cut your fabric on the lengthwise grain or crosswise???    I have seen tutorials using the charm packs, so how do you know.  What is the rule of thumb for this???   I have never used the dresden plate ruler and would like to try making something small for christmas.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

quilter58

• | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,246 Posts
Points 19,420
weezee56 replied on Mon, Nov 12 2012 10:00 PM

Does you fabric have a pattern? will it look funny cut one way or the other? I think as long as you don't cut on the bias it wouldn't really matter. Cutting on the bias makes your fabric stretchy.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,117 Posts
Points 29,755
Ramona replied on Mon, Nov 12 2012 10:05 PM

newquilter58,

I don't think it would matter if it was lengthwise grain or crosswise but, my opinion, I would cut your strips across the width of the fabric. Can't wait to see your dresden plate progress.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
19 Posts
Points 605

the fabric that I am using is christmas fabric. 

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,117 Posts
Points 29,755
Ramona replied on Mon, Nov 12 2012 10:11 PM

newquilter58,

Just watch Christmas pattern direction on the fabric and you should be good to go.

Not Ranked
19 Posts
Points 605

Thanks for the advice.  Am looking forward to working on this tomorrow.  I have made a few quilts in the past, but have had very good directions.  The dresden plate ruler is very simple, but  I was unsure about which way to lay out fabric.  There is still so much for me to learn about quilting, fabric layout, etc. 

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,541 Posts
Points 416,959
gini replied on Tue, Nov 13 2012 12:09 AM

if the fan pieces have a curved top edge that needs to be appliqued,  putting the curved edge along the bias will make it easier to applique

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,443 Posts
Points 127,624

Hi newquilter and it is very nice to meet you. Good luck with your project, I'm sure it will be beautiful.  

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,443 Posts
Points 127,624

Double post, this place is driving me nuts - of course I did not have far to go LOL

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use