Top 10 Posters

Help dating a vintage applique quilt top?

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 18 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 205
Leigh Luce Posted: Sun, Jan 17 2010 7:24 PM

Hello, everybody!  I just joined Quilters Club recently and I have started a blog (Leigh's Blog) concerning a vintage applique quilt top.  It's from a stamped pattern - both the background and the applique fabrics have placing and sewing lines.  I'd like to finish it and use as raffle fundraiser for the Foundation supporting the reconstruction of the Virginia and Truckee railway from Virginia City to Carson City, Nevada.  I'd like to learn more about it, though.  I hope you will visit my blog and look at the photos and info and see if you know anything about it's provenance!  Looking forward to being a part of this group!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185

Welcome to the QCA forums, Leigh.

I'm hoping Judy ? (sorry, I don't remember her last name) will see your post. She, I think, is the expert on vintage/antique quilts and their history.

Edit: I just went to look at your quilt top. Like I said, I no nothing about dating a quilt, but I will tell you the fabric looks more like 30's or 40's to me rather than the 1950s.

Gillette, WY

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,823
Points 366,007
Kris replied on Sun, Jan 17 2010 8:06 PM

Welcome to the group Leigh. Sorry I can't help with the quilt.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Sun, Jan 17 2010 8:29 PM

Leigh

Welcome to the site and hope to hear more from you.  Looked at the quilt top but I don't know anything about dating quilts.  I do agree with Judy in that the fabrics looks more 40's period than 50's.  Hope someone on here can help you.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,415
Points 415,724
gini replied on Sun, Jan 17 2010 10:03 PM

hi leigh, welcome.  i'm sorry   we have a member here who might be able to answer your question, but i can't find her.  i just went to blogs, and i don't know what's up with that site.  it isn't even in alphabetical order.   so i don't think i'll be able to find her.   anyway, i hope someone here will be able to help.  gini

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 205
Leigh Luce replied on Sun, Jan 17 2010 10:18 PM

Gini - thanks for responding and trying!  You're in Northern Idaho?  I went to U of I during 1973-74 and still have great fondness for the school and town.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 205
Leigh Luce replied on Sun, Jan 17 2010 10:18 PM

Thanks, Nana! 

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 205
Leigh Luce replied on Sun, Jan 17 2010 10:19 PM

Thanks, Kris

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 51
Points 850
Sharon replied on Sun, Jan 17 2010 10:20 PM

Hi and welcome to the site. You will find the friendliest and the most helpful women on this site. I have a book by Barbara Brackman that shows 2,000 applique patterns. Your pattern is not in her book. I, too, think that the colors look like those used in the late 30s and early 40s. Of course, the fabric could have been brighter and the colors could have faded. Reds and greens both fade easily in old fabric. I hope someone has better information for you. Again, welcome to the site. Sharon

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 205
Leigh Luce replied on Sun, Jan 17 2010 10:21 PM

Judy, thanks, I appreciate the feedback.  I guess it probably could be from the 30's or 40's and she just didn't get it done until later.  Sort of like we are now, yes?  I have projects dating back a few years, to say the least!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185
Judy Iliff replied on Sun, Jan 17 2010 11:29 PM

Leigh, the person I was thinking of is Judy Anne. Here's the link to her name. You might want to "friend" her, start a conversation, and ask her about it. I think she'd have more info than I.

JudyAnne

Gillette, WY

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,415
Points 415,724
gini replied on Sun, Jan 17 2010 11:32 PM

judy, i could remember judyanne's last name started with a,  b.  i went to blogs to try and find her,  what a jumble that is.  i couldn't make hide nor hair out of how it is organized.  gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Mon, Jan 18 2010 1:03 AM

I knew there was a lady on here that is good at dating quilts but I could not remember her name.  It was just a total blank.  I am glad Judy found it for you.   Good luck and let us know what you find out.

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 37
Points 1,035

That lady is me.  I'm afraid I've neglected this forum.  We were RVing all summer and early fall and life has been a zoo since we got back.

On finding blogs, I can't even find my own blog.  I need to learn more about how this forum is set up.  I'm sure the information is somewhere obvious.

Leigh,   I will tell you what I can on your kit quilt on the page where you posted the pictures so look there.

Everyone, I will try to get back to adding a little more history here.

Judy  Anne Breneman

http:www.womenfolk.com

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,415
Points 415,724
gini replied on Mon, Jan 18 2010 10:05 PM

hi judyanne, i've  missed your comments on quilt history.   gini

gini in north idaho

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use