Top 10 Posters

Help! Bottom Line 60 wt sewing thread question!

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 23 Replies | 6 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
62 Posts
Points 1,120
Lindsey posted on Mon, Nov 12 2012 6:59 AM

Hi!

I bought a 3000 yd spool of this for my daughter's quilt but I didn't realise it is made of Polyester! Eeeek!

However, I have read that it is super for stitching in the bobbin with when quilting quilts. I'm just not sure whether it will work. I've not taken it out of the wrapper, so there is a chance the shop will let me swap it for cotton thread, say King Tut.

I just don't want to commit myself to something that doesn't work, as I can't afford to keep buying any more stuff! I need to get some backing anyway, not buy even more thread!!

Has anyone used this thread? I know it was designed by Libby Lehman for her quilts but I'm still not sure.

Any feedback will be considered! Many thanks and happy stitching, Lindsey, Norfolk, UK

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,477 Posts
Points 46,525

This is a great thread, no pun intended. I have always gone with cotton thread because of all those who way you should only use cotton thread with cotton fabric. I read where someone was having lots of problems with her machine because of all the lint. After she switched to poly thread she doesn't have the problem anymore. I am getting ready to quilt a quilt made with fabric that I paid way to much for. Because of some of the problems I have been having with lint in my machine I ordered some poly thread. As soon as it gets here I will give it a test and hopefully it will be the answer I need. I was really glad to read about all of you ladies who are using poly. 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,778 Posts
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Mon, Nov 12 2012 10:01 PM

Pat, I do love quilting with the poly thread it just does such a nice job and I love the way it looks on the quilt .I think you will like it  

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Mon, Nov 12 2012 10:45 PM

For a long time I thought that anything but cotton was inferior. I only used aurifil and really liked it. Quilted just fine. But then I accidently bought a poly thread on line and loved it so much that I use it for FMQ on my DSM. I use the aurifil I have left for all my piecing. 

Not Ranked
Female
62 Posts
Points 1,120
Lindsey replied on Tue, Nov 13 2012 12:06 PM

Hi again!

The shop where I bought the thread from sent me a link which is very good at explaining the thread.

I'm going to take some time off work in the next couple of weeks, so I can have a go at quilting the quilt, uninterrupted hopefully! And also when I can clear the dinner table and use it!

Here is the link if anyone is still interested! Thanks again for all your help. Will let you know how I get on!

http://www.superiorthreads.co.uk/home.php?cat=391  

Happy stitching, Lindsey, Norfolk, UK

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,778 Posts
Points 248,014

Thanks Lindsey, that is a good link ,I have seen this and I do use their thread quilt a bit . Good luck on your quilting and keep us posted on how its going .. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,237 Posts
Points 239,627
Thea replied on Tue, Nov 13 2012 5:35 PM

Lindsey, I will only use cotton thread on my quilts - if you look into the types of thread - over time polyester thread because it is man made and stronger and more brittle then cotton will cut into the cotton thread that your quilt is made of.  I had a quilt that was quilted by a friend of mine who does long arm work and I couldn't figure out why the backing was wearing in spots and starting to make holes and it was around where she had heavily done McTavish style quilting.  I called her and she told me she had been using bottom line in her bobbins because it is such a nice thread and had stopped.  I had not been the only person that had called her and talked to her about this.

I am not saying that this will happen to a quilt hung on a wall - but the quilts she quilted for me were heavily appliqued and she used the McTavish style of quilting around the appliques on the quilt - the quilt was beautifully quilted - but because of this I tell anyone that quilts for me that I request only cotton threads.  

Poly does not have any lint which is nice but for me I am very old school and just want cotton.  

I use bottom line when I am doing machine embroidery and it is wonderful for that.  Only time I use any of my polyester threads.  I have a rainbow in both cotton and polyester - quilting - cotton only.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,770 Posts
Points 65,998
Jeanine replied on Tue, Nov 13 2012 11:15 PM

http://www.quiltingismytherapy.com/2010/08/13/machine-quilting-thread-cotton-vs-polyester/

https://www.superiorthreads.com/videos/2-cotton-thread-vs-polyester-thread/

Just a couple links that talk about thread.

Not Ranked
Female
62 Posts
Points 1,120

Ok, now that is bad news!!! I don't want this happening to my dh quilt, that I've spent time and money on! :-(

I've just bought some Aurofil thread. Maybe I'll use that for quilting in the bobbin instead and send the other spool of polyester back.

I'm going to have to do a test patch now before I go ahead I think. If I was going to make a wall hanging I would keep the thread but I don't plan on doing that anytime soon, so I may as well get some cotton for my next quilt.

Thanks again for your help and consideration!

Happy sttiching, Lindsey, Norfolk, UK

Top 200 Contributor
Female
402 Posts
Points 6,110
Pat M. replied on Wed, Nov 14 2012 8:05 AM

I wonder if it wasn't a case of using the wrong size needle and not the thread that caused the problem.  I would contact Superior Threads and ask about this.  Superior Threads is great about answering questions.

Pat--"Keep Calm and Carry On"

Page 2 of 2 (24 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use