Top 10 Posters

Help! Bottom Line 60 wt sewing thread question!

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 23 Replies | 6 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
62 Posts
Points 1,120
Lindsey posted on Mon, Nov 12 2012 6:59 AM

Hi!

I bought a 3000 yd spool of this for my daughter's quilt but I didn't realise it is made of Polyester! Eeeek!

However, I have read that it is super for stitching in the bobbin with when quilting quilts. I'm just not sure whether it will work. I've not taken it out of the wrapper, so there is a chance the shop will let me swap it for cotton thread, say King Tut.

I just don't want to commit myself to something that doesn't work, as I can't afford to keep buying any more stuff! I need to get some backing anyway, not buy even more thread!!

Has anyone used this thread? I know it was designed by Libby Lehman for her quilts but I'm still not sure.

Any feedback will be considered! Many thanks and happy stitching, Lindsey, Norfolk, UK

All Replies

Top 500 Contributor
Female
127 Posts
Points 2,250
Sherry replied on Mon, Nov 12 2012 7:10 AM

can't wait to hear replies. i, to have purchase poly thread by accident. and now it gathers dust.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Female
402 Posts
Points 6,110
Pat M. replied on Mon, Nov 12 2012 8:03 AM

I love Bottom Line.  I use it on most of my quilts.  Sews like a dream in my DSM; can't imagine it wouldn't be just as great in a longarm.  Superior Threads are just that---superior!

Pat--"Keep Calm and Carry On"

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,778 Posts
Points 248,014

I have not used that brand of thread ,but I have used poly thread in my quilts. I have found a really nice poly Thread  called Glide which I love as  does my machine  .Now it is not 60 wt so I can't tell you on that.  but if you do use it let us know how it works for you . Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,221 Posts
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Mon, Nov 12 2012 10:21 AM

I follow Leah Day's recommendation and use Isacord 40w poly thread for everything...piecing, machine embroidery, and DSM quilting...and have never had any problems in over 10 years. In fact, I love it! BottomLine 60w is just super fine poly (so it won't draw attention to the quilting on the back?) but will hold the stitches just fine.  It's a very strong  thread that will hold up and not break with fast stitching.

Winthrop, WA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,770 Posts
Points 66,013
Jeanine replied on Mon, Nov 12 2012 10:28 AM

I only use poly on my quilts.  Bottom line is a nice bobbin thread.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,778 Posts
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Mon, Nov 12 2012 10:30 AM

Donna good to know I'm not the only one . My machine just does not like to quilt with cotton Thread and I have not had any problems with my quilts I use poly thread on. I have to think that todasys poly thread is just made os much better , I really love using it . Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,778 Posts
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Mon, Nov 12 2012 10:32 AM

Jeanine , Again  I'm glad to know I'm not the only one to use Poly thread .I was beginning to think I was the weird person..LOL   

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,221 Posts
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Mon, Nov 12 2012 10:38 AM

Jeanine, Barbara - it's time us Poly-Girls speak up and stick together!  I too, thought I was a loner as a poly-thread quilter...LOL! 

And, I know you two put out some gorgous quilts!!!

Winthrop, WA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,778 Posts
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Mon, Nov 12 2012 10:41 AM

Donna, I  just got real tired of buying the cotton thread for my machine to hate it . My machine just works so much better with the poly thread ,and I 'm going to use what my machine likes.Saves me so much time and no trouble .   I have not any problems using it to FMQ and It looks beautiful on the quilts. 

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,018 Posts
Points 28,465
Ramona replied on Mon, Nov 12 2012 11:29 AM

Lindsey,

There are some who have always felt that if you have cotton fabric then use cotton thread. With all the new thread technology and all the different threads, I feel anything goes. We use metallics, poly, cotton, cotton wraped poly, decorative threads, etc.

As you see here there are several who use the Bottom Line thread and love it. Myself I use the same thread in the bobbin as I use on the top of the quilt. My longarm likes it that way but the Bottom Line works great as a bobbin thread. For my Gammill I have found that I have to slow down and go through the thread guides differently if I want to use it in both the bobbin and top. The speed of the machine tends to break the threads when doing custom quilting.  I have other brands that my machine prefers. It does very well with Sew Fine for custom work.  If you are using a home machine, I'm sure this will work very well for you.  As for it being polyester...not a problem. Go for it.

Not Ranked
Female
62 Posts
Points 1,120
Lindsey replied on Mon, Nov 12 2012 11:36 AM

Hi Ramona and all the other kind people who replied!!

I think I will give it a go. There must have been something that I read that made me buy it in the first place!! Plus I can't be bothered to send the thread back, lol!!

I'm sure it would be withdrawn from the shops if many people had problems with it, and I like the fact that it "disappears" into the backing fabric. The tension on my machine has been playing up a bit which is really annoying, as it means I have to unpick, grrr!!

So. again, many thanks for your replies. I will post a picture of the quilt once I've started stitching with it. All that's left is for me to book 2 afternoons off work to enable me to do the stitching! Got to get it done ready for christmas! Lol! Watch this space as they say!

Happy stitching! Lindsey, Norfolk, UK

Not Ranked
Female
62 Posts
Points 1,120
Lindsey replied on Mon, Nov 12 2012 11:44 AM

Hi Pat! Many thanks for your reply! Good to know I won't be the only lone soul using it! I'm hoping it will help the tension problems I've been getting recently! I've got King Tut variegated for the top thread, so hopefully it'll make the top look pretty!

Judging by the "Keep calm and carry on, can I guess you're british like me?

Where are you in the UK? I'm in Norfolk, although my dh will be out of a job at christmas, so I'm not sure if we'll still be here next year.

Enough rambling! Thanks again, happy stitching, Lindsey

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,778 Posts
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Mon, Nov 12 2012 12:09 PM

Lindsey ,we will look foward to seeing your quilts. I'm sure they will be beatuiful . I very happy we could help you out.  Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 200 Contributor
Female
402 Posts
Points 6,110
Pat M. replied on Mon, Nov 12 2012 1:32 PM

Hi, Lindsey!

Sorry, I'm not a Brit. (Although my grandmother came from Scotland and my American-born-and raised sister can put together a great high tea!).  I was born and raised in New Jersey (USA) and after living in California and Ilinois I now live in Iowa.  Both my daughter and I do enjoy most things British and "Keep Calm and Carry On"  is a great way of looking at life.

I'm not sure how mixing King Tut and Bottom Line will work for you.  I usually use the same thread on top and bottom. Looking at the chart I received from Superior Threads (available online on their website) I see that So Fine 50 wt. is suggested for use in the bobbin when using King Tut on top.  Bottom Line is a bit thinner, but I would do a sample piece and see what happens.  Hope it works for you. 

Pat--"Keep Calm and Carry On"

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use