Question

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 4 verified answers | 15 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
25 Posts
Points 735
Twana Callahan posted on Sat, Nov 10 2012 9:55 AM

Ok, I have a question that may sound a little silly. So, bear with me, here it goes. Can I still call myself a quilter when I can't follow a quilt pattern, or physically quilt the layers together? The only thing I do is make the top, get the batting and backing fabric then I send it to a friends mother to do the handquilting. So am I still a quilter?

Thanks 

Twana

• | Post Points: 95

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,473 Posts
Points 47,580
Answered (Verified) Frances replied on Sat, Nov 10 2012 10:28 AM
Verified by Twana Callahan

Twana,

I dont think there any rules and regulations on what makes a quilter, some people love basting and quilting others love making the tops, every quilt is a journey every person is different, take the route which makes you happy.

lots of love

Francesxx

• | Post Points: 25
Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,385 Posts
Points 119,276
Answered (Verified) Patti replied on Sat, Nov 10 2012 10:33 AM

That describes many who call themselves quilters.  Although to quilt refers specifically the sewing of the layers together, it has evolved to include all parts of quilting.  We fuse instead of piece, or even paint or color our fabric.  The quilt industry is always expanding with new methods and ways of using the same tools.  Some of us specialize in one step of making a quilt.  I think we are all quilters. 

Are you a quilter?  I'd say yes. 

If you go to the big quilt shows, many quilts have the names of the one who pieced the quilt, and the one who did the quilting.  And look at all the home industry or self-employment created by having those who specialize in quilting.  We are all parts of the industry of quilting. We are quilters.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,344 Posts
Points 126,144

Yes, I think quilting has come to mean the process of piecing, layering, and actually quilting or any part of the process. A lot of quilts use to be tied because they needed warm coverings and they did not have time to quilt them. The quilted ones were special. I actually like the look of the tied quilts and, yes, they are quilts. So, yes you are a quilter.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Not Ranked
5 Posts
Points 135

Twana,  YOU are a quilter in my boook.  I piece the quilt top, and make the backing and send the quilt peces off to get it quilted.

Anna Joffrion

• | Post Points: 40

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,473 Posts
Points 47,580
Answered (Verified) Frances replied on Sat, Nov 10 2012 10:28 AM

Twana,

I dont think there any rules and regulations on what makes a quilter, some people love basting and quilting others love making the tops, every quilt is a journey every person is different, take the route which makes you happy.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,385 Posts
Points 119,276
Answered (Verified) Patti replied on Sat, Nov 10 2012 10:33 AM

That describes many who call themselves quilters.  Although to quilt refers specifically the sewing of the layers together, it has evolved to include all parts of quilting.  We fuse instead of piece, or even paint or color our fabric.  The quilt industry is always expanding with new methods and ways of using the same tools.  Some of us specialize in one step of making a quilt.  I think we are all quilters. 

Are you a quilter?  I'd say yes. 

If you go to the big quilt shows, many quilts have the names of the one who pieced the quilt, and the one who did the quilting.  And look at all the home industry or self-employment created by having those who specialize in quilting.  We are all parts of the industry of quilting. We are quilters.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,344 Posts
Points 126,144

Yes, I think quilting has come to mean the process of piecing, layering, and actually quilting or any part of the process. A lot of quilts use to be tied because they needed warm coverings and they did not have time to quilt them. The quilted ones were special. I actually like the look of the tied quilts and, yes, they are quilts. So, yes you are a quilter.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,344 Posts
Points 126,144

BTW Twana, I wanted to say Hi and nice to meet you.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,821 Posts
Points 85,145
Sukochi replied on Sat, Nov 10 2012 11:17 AM

Twana, a lot of quilters send their quilts out to another qultler to have them finished be it an FMQ or hand quilter. I send mine to an FMQ. And, you betcha, I AM a quilter.

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,123 Posts
Points 411,194
gini replied on Sat, Nov 10 2012 12:17 PM

yep, you're a quilter

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
5 Posts
Points 135

Twana,  YOU are a quilter in my boook.  I piece the quilt top, and make the backing and send the quilt peces off to get it quilted.

Anna Joffrion

• | Post Points: 40
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,123 Posts
Points 411,194
gini replied on Sat, Nov 10 2012 1:15 PM

hi anna, welcome to the group

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Female
25 Posts
Points 735

Hi Spudgrandma, nice to meet you too. I just got back the quilt that took me five years to piece, (because I don't have the use of my right hand) but I finished the top and just a couple of months ago I found a "long lost friend" and she told me that her mother handquilts, So I gave it to her and I got it back today. It is beautiful. So, I ask is it beautiful because of the pattern I made, which by the way she copied and made a quilt for herself, or is it because of the handquilting she's done? Anyway when I get a picture of it I'll put it on here. Because whether or not it's beautiful because of what I did, I'm still very proud of it. :)

Twana

• | Post Points: 50
Not Ranked
Female
25 Posts
Points 735

Thank you all for your response. I now fully feel like a quilter. I will post pictures of the quilts I have made.

Twana 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,344 Posts
Points 126,144

Twana Callahan:
So, I ask is it beautiful because of the pattern I made, which by the way she copied and made a quilt for herself, or is it because of the handquilting she's done? Anyway when I get a picture of it I'll put it on here. Because whether or not it's beautiful because of what I did, I'm still very proud of it. :)

Both make them beautiful and I look forward to your picture. And, you should be proud, what a wonderful accomplishment!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,054 Posts
Points 170,018
Marie replied on Sat, Nov 10 2012 4:48 PM

Twana, without even seeing it, it's beautiful because you made it without the use of your right hand and because a long lost friends mother quilted it for you.  You should be very proud of yourself!  God Bless.  

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
12,941 Posts
Points 234,222
Thea replied on Sat, Nov 10 2012 5:40 PM

Twana Callahan:
So, I ask is it beautiful because of the pattern I made, which by the way she copied and made a quilt for herself, or is it because of the handquilting she's done?

Twana - IMHO it is beautiful because it was pieced and made with tons of love and thoughts with each step of the procedure.  A quilter is not just the person who puts the quilting stitches in to sew the quilt together - A quilter is a person who has an idea - cuts apart fabric - sews it together to make a top - a quilter is the person who takes that top and sew it together with a batting and backing - they take and emphasize what the person who made the top - sometimes they make it look better - sometimes their stitches are in the back ground and just sew it together - depending on what each quilt needs.

A quilter is a warm and loving man or woman who cares about their friends and family and gives of themselves for hours to make something to keep others warm or to hang on a wall to make people smile when they see it.  It doesn't matter what part of the quilting you do - all of it is quilting - so to answer your question - the first one - yes you are a quilter - and the second one - it is beautiful because of the love that was put in to make it.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
2,576 Posts
Points 36,085
ls2116 replied on Tue, Nov 13 2012 10:26 PM

Twana absolutely your a quilter.  With each quilt there is a new thread to life practically.  

Thea so well stated.

I'm remembering the movie right now "How To Make An American Quilt" I love that movie so much I bought that book.

Quilting My Rainbow

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use