Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 19 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624
Spudgrandma Posted: Fri, Nov 9 2012 12:38 PM

I needed a smaller square up ruler and this was on sale at Fabric Depot - I was really skeptical about it but decided to give it a try. It really works, my blade was to the point of needing replaced and I received my ruler a little bit ago so I decided to give it a try with a dull blade. I'm impressed, I squared up a stack of about 15 squares and it did sharpen my blade. I have no idea how long the sharpening edge will last but for now it is good.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 247,949
Barbara replied on Fri, Nov 9 2012 12:43 PM

Spud , I have never tired this rule but I do have a blade sharpner that work great .. Glad it helped you out

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,615
Points 247,287
Thea replied on Fri, Nov 9 2012 2:24 PM

The rulers do work well but the sharpener on the side wears out faster then you want it to!  Other than that I liked the rulers - I own one - got it a couple years ago when they first came out - it doesn't sharpen any blades anymore.  pat sloan is the one that designed them and it was a good idea if the sharpener would just last.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,612
Points 178,598
Marie replied on Fri, Nov 9 2012 3:36 PM

Barbara, which of the blade sharpeners do you have?

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,615
Points 247,287
Thea replied on Fri, Nov 9 2012 3:56 PM

Marie - I have the one from the Grace company that you don't have to take your blade out of the cutter - just run it through a few times... I have talked about it before - mine works perfectly - sharpens my blades great - but 2 of my friends bought them and they didn't think theirs worked - now when I got mine I didn't unlock the little screws or touch or change it in any way - both of my friends did - had to open it up to see what the inside looked like - I am not saying that is why theirs aren't up to snuff but it could be a small reason... I do love mine though - sets right on the edge of my cutting mat and when I am doing paper piecing or using paper for templates it sharpens that blade right up so you can cut fabric without a problem.  Cut down on my need for blades a lot.  I only replace them now if they get a nick in them - can you believe one of my Olfa blades actually broke in the cutter - I was amazed...

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,612
Points 178,598
Marie replied on Fri, Nov 9 2012 5:46 PM

Thanks for sharing Thea.  I have the one that has two parts where you put the blade in and twist and it doesn't work that well for me.  It costs a lot to keep up with the blades and thought about investing in another type of sharpener.

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Marie and Thea, I have both of those but could not get them to work all that well. I was afraid that the sharpener on the side of the ruler would wear out, should have asked before I bought it. It was on sale and I did not pay all that much for it. Oh well, we live and learn.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,612
Points 178,598
Marie replied on Sat, Nov 10 2012 10:01 AM

Thanks Spud.  Could we hear from anyone else who has a blade sharpener?

Millbury, MA

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 7
Points 320
Susan replied on Mon, Nov 12 2012 11:19 AM

I also use the type you rotate back and forth, I put a dab of sewing machine oil and twist about 3-4 times.  I seem to get a decent cut.  I have a container that I keep my dull blades, and as I run out of the sharp blades, I sharpen all the dull blades at one time, putting them in the sharp blade container.  That way, I never need to stop cutting, especially if I'm doing a lot of cutting at one time like with my excess scraps.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Hi SusanB and nice to meet you. I may need to get my other sharpeners out and see if I can get them to work, or maybe just order some new blades. Anyway Susan, I hope you will hang around, I look forward to getting to know you.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,612
Points 178,598
Marie replied on Mon, Nov 12 2012 5:08 PM

Thanks Susan, maybe I need to add a dab of oil before I try sharpening.

Millbury, MA

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,580
Points 23,980
Susie replied on Wed, Nov 14 2012 3:05 PM

I have the round one that you twist the blades on both sides to sharpen them.  It works really well for me, but it took some playing with it to figure out how best to make it work well.

Another tip about the rotary cutter blades...my daughter works at Harbor Freight & I had he bring me a package of the round rug cutter blades.  They are the same size for my rotary cutter, and extremely sharp.  They are a little more heavy duty, but seem to be working well so far.  And for far less money than the ones at Joann Fabrics.

Chicagoland, Illinois

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,609
Points 52,055
Ginny replied on Wed, Nov 14 2012 3:57 PM

Susie,  I got some of those cutters also from Harbor Freight and didn't like them at all. They would skip cutting in places and when you pressed harder, it cut into the cutting mat badly.  I went ahead and bought a package of 10 from LS Sharp for $33.00.   That is the way I will go from now on.   Ginny

Not Ranked
Posts 19
Points 300

Thanks for the tip Susie!   This is a great find.  I found a Harbor Freight near me and 2 cutting blades are  $1.99.  They look the same as we can buy at Joann's.  Although,  I really love the titanium blades because they last a long time.  It is hard to get titanium blades for the 28mm and 60 mm rotary cutters. 

Not Ranked
Posts 19
Points 300

Oops.  Maybe you are right.  Don't want to cut up my mat.

Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use