Pellon Nature's Soft batting

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 143 Replies | 12 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,782 Posts
Points 122,490
Judy T-Bellingham posted on Fri, Nov 9 2012 10:19 AM

On Nov 21, Joann's will have a sale on Pellon Natures Soft cotton batting.  It's a 25 yard roll, 90" wide for $99.99 which looks incredible to me. Plus the 10% I get off for the QCA membership would bring it down to $90! It says it's lightweight, breathable, needle punched with a stabilizing scrim binder.

I don't know what all that means. Has anyone used it? How does it compare to Warm and Natural which is what I've always used?

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 170

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,782 Posts
Points 122,490

Elizabeth:

Opened my batting to use on a QOV on the longarm.  Bit disappointed it is a much lighter weight than Warm and Natural.  More like Hobbs.  Will work well for charity quilts but will prob buy Warm and Natural for my quilts.

I used mine on a table topper (Owls in the Round) and the lighter weight was perfect for that. It held together well and was easy to stitch through. It is nice and soft but didn't stretch. I was happy with how the batting handled but the small table topper probably isn't a great test. I'll try it next on a lap quilt, probably MQ7.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Sun, Dec 9 2012 2:51 PM

Judy,

is it noticeably thinner than W&N?  I am making my first for money quilt. It's a  memory  photo quilt. Your thoughts 

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,245 Posts
Points 25,210

This is more like Hobbs, does not stretch, but is maybe 1/3 the weight of W&N.  Quilting very nicely on the longarm.  I think for warm weather climents this is great for a nice lightweight quilt.  Also great for flannel or minky.  Will not make a "Heavyweight quilt".  This is just my thoughts

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,782 Posts
Points 122,490

I puzzled over the difference in weight between the Pellon Natures Touch and the Warm and Natural. So I cut four pieces of each and stacked them side by side.  Here is what I came up with.

I couldn't see much difference in loft but W&N has it by a hair.

W&N is much softer

Natures Touch has a binding and I think it's a bit easier to work with. I found it very nice to applique through three layers. But I like W&N also.

I don't know which would be warmer in a quilt.

Even tried to take a photo of the stack side by side. This is not a scientific test by any means.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
2,831 Posts
Points 39,980

I haven't used Pellon yet my Joanns still has Warm & Natural.

Quilting My Rainbow

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,529 Posts
Points 177,453
Marie replied on Sun, Dec 9 2012 7:03 PM

Thanks Judy for doing this, I was disappointed by the other reviews.  Will just have to try it out and see for myself.  It's a lot of batting to go to waste.

Millbury, MA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Sun, Dec 9 2012 7:44 PM

I am ready to sandwich 3 shirt quilts for my daughters friend's family whose dad passed away.  I plan to use natures touch on that one. I also have another Halloween quilt I did not get done till now that ill use it on. I still may use W&N on the quilt I'm actually getting paid to do. 

Thanks Judy for the demo. 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,782 Posts
Points 122,490

Annie, I'll be interested in how you like Natures Touch on the shirt quilts. I plan to use it on MQ7 but that may not happen until after Christmas

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,443 Posts
Points 127,624

Judy T-Bellingham:
This is not a scientific test by any means.

Maybe not, but it is very well thought out and I'm sure those considering this batting appreciate your effort Judy!!!

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Sun, Dec 9 2012 10:04 PM

Judy, I'll let you know.   I hope to start this week.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
24,951 Posts
Points 368,307
Kris replied on Mon, Dec 10 2012 3:03 AM

Judy T-Bellingham:
This is not a scientific test by any means.

Judy,

nonetheless, thanks for doing it.

I suppose performance would a good test too. Looking forward to Annie's, and your, feelings on the matter after use.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Wed, Dec 19 2012 1:44 AM

Hi all, I finally completed 3 quilts, all using pellon. I found very little difference when putting the sandwich together. I think it might be thinner than W&N but I noticed no difference when quilting. The finished quilts felt every bit as soft and had a nice drape too. Overall I would give it a thumbs up. 

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,778 Posts
Points 248,014

Thanks Annie ,good to know.Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,529 Posts
Points 177,453
Marie replied on Wed, Dec 19 2012 9:36 AM

Thanks Annie for the good review on the batting.  Mine is lying on the floor next to my bed on the far side and every time I look at it I wonder if that was a wasted $100.  I will use it in my UFO's in 2013.

Millbury, MA

Not Ranked
Female
18 Posts
Points 200

I like it myself have used it several times when I can get it on sale as its pretty pricey like warm and natural so I keep an eye out for when Joann's has it on sale I machine quilt for others also and have used it in several quilts wallhangings and craft projects I like the softness of it better than warm and natural..

Page 8 of 10 (144 items) « First ... < Previous 6 7 8 9 10 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use