Pellon Nature's Soft batting

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 143 Replies | 12 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,669 Posts
Points 120,410
Judy Taylor-Bellingham posted on Fri, Nov 9 2012 10:19 AM

On Nov 21, Joann's will have a sale on Pellon Natures Soft cotton batting.  It's a 25 yard roll, 90" wide for $99.99 which looks incredible to me. Plus the 10% I get off for the QCA membership would bring it down to $90! It says it's lightweight, breathable, needle punched with a stabilizing scrim binder.

I don't know what all that means. Has anyone used it? How does it compare to Warm and Natural which is what I've always used?

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 170

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,720 Posts
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Sat, Nov 10 2012 8:20 PM

Judy

The Nature's Touch is a different brand at JoAnn's.  It is not a good batting and I wouldn't recommend it.  I haven't used the Pellon but I have opened the end of a package to feel it and it feels really good. 

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,669 Posts
Points 120,410

Kris:
if this is the "Nature's Touch" batting the only thing I could find was a discussion on "The Quilting Board".

OK, I went to the QB and read the whole thing. The person who said it fell apart when pre-washing threw it in the washer set to hot water. Some newer postings said they've tried it and liked it. I think I'll take a chance and buy it on the 21st. It's just a one day sale so I'll go in at 9am.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,669 Posts
Points 120,410

Nana:

Judy

The Nature's Touch is a different brand at JoAnn's.  It is not a good batting and I wouldn't recommend it.  I haven't used the Pellon but I have opened the end of a package to feel it and it feels really good. 

Thanks Nana.  Mercy, there are so many products out there and it confuses this little old lady. (well, not so little)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
24,823 Posts
Points 365,977
Kris replied on Sat, Nov 10 2012 8:28 PM

Judy T-Bellingham:
OK, I went to the QB and read the whole thing. The person who said it fell apart when pre-washing threw it in the washer set to hot water.

Now that wasn't very smart was it?

I'll look out for your review after you've tried it.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,669 Posts
Points 120,410

Kris, I'm beginning to wonder if Joann's misprinted and it should have read Nature's Touch.  I've sent an email inquiry to Pellon. We'll see if I get an answer.

Not Ranked
Female
68 Posts
Points 970

What a good idea to stop at JoAnn's and look at the tag.  My group is ready to purchase a roll.  I think I'll check it out too, but would love to know your opinion too.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
387 Posts
Points 7,355

I have used the Pellon cotton batting from Joanns on two twin sized quilts. I did not prewash the batting because I like it to shrink up and give added definition to the quilting. I quilted it on my domestic sewing machine using my walking foot at one inch spacing. The drape and softness seemed to me to be the same as with Warm and Natural (which I what I usually use.) It seemed to me that the Pellon stretched a little more in the quilting process. To be fair I was doing bargello quilting which has a lot of seams, so that may have contributed to the perceived stretching.

Heck, at that price even if it is a little extra stretchy, the price is right to make free motion quilting practice sandwiches. I need to practice FMQ a lot.

Denise Smart

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,415 Posts
Points 415,724
gini replied on Sat, Nov 10 2012 9:38 PM

Denise Smart:

Heck, at that price even if it is a little extra stretchy, the price is right to make free motion quilting practice sandwiches. I need to practice FMQ a lot.

me too,  that's a good point

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,669 Posts
Points 120,410

Judy T-Bellingham:
Joann's flyer calls it "25 yard roll Pellon Natural Cotton Batting, 90" wide. Nature's Soft 100% cotton". It doesn't say it's Nature's Touch. Is this something different? I think I'll stop by Joann's and look at it and see what it says on the tag.

I stopped by Joann's this morning. What they have says Pellon Natures TOUCH. Not Natures SOFT as shown in the flyer.  It also says it's 70% cotton and 30% poly. It comes in a small bag not the big 25' roll that is advertised to go on sale on the 21st.  The clerks at the store didn't have a clue if they were two different products. I don't know, maybe I'll just stick with the Warm and Natural when it's on sale or I have a coupon. I have an email into Pellon company. We'll see if I hear back from them.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
709 Posts
Points 13,830

Joann.com shows Pellon Nature's Touch 100% cotton, 25 yd roll, for $274.99- the regular price of what the Joann flyer shows. The online batting doesn't say what the width is though. They do have a way on their web site to see if stores near you have any of this in stock. All the stores around here (10 within 25 miles) show 2 or 3 rolls available. Maybe you can find some that way.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,669 Posts
Points 120,410

OK, the mystery grows about this Nature's Soft that is advertised at Joann's for $99.99 on Nov 21st (one day sale).

I received a response from Michele at  Pellon company. They do not have a product called Nature's Soft, only Natures Touch. She figured the Joann's ad was a misprint. Pellon Nature's Touch, 25 yard roll normally sells for about $275.00. 

BUT........I looked at Joann's yesterday. They did not have the big rolls yet but they had a package of Natures Touch. It was only 70% cotton. Michelle said they do not make Natures Touch in 70% cotton, only 100% cotton.

To complicate things even further, the Joann's ad does state 100% cotton (although they call it Nature's Soft). Michele sent me a description of their product (photo below) and it is the exact description, size and original price in Joann's ad.

Here is the info sent to me by Pellon. I'm going to jump on this sale. Michele said she had never seen it at such a low price. 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,669 Posts
Points 120,410

ONE more note on Nature's Touch by Pellon. I couldn't figure out why it doesn't show up on the Pellon website. I asked Michele and she said they only feature the Legacy brand on the website. Nature's Touch is sold by chain stores so they don't list it. I think that's weird, but at least I have an answer.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,221 Posts
Points 41,055

Judy, I was just looking on-line at this batting.  It is very tempting for the price.  I seem to have a problem with JoAnn's.  I am registered on their site to receive email notices, have a VIP card, etc. but rarely get their emails flyers  before the coupons expire,  if at all.   In fact, I did not get one announcing this one-day sale on 11/21/12!   I've asked in the store, and no one seems to know why...go figure. 

Do you know if this sale was "in-store" only or does it include on-line?

Winthrop, WA

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,661 Posts
Points 63,180
Jacy replied on Mon, Nov 12 2012 3:26 PM

[

Donna B:
Do you know if this sale was "in-store" only or does it include on-line?

I was wondering the same thing. 

This batting is part of their daily doorbuster sale from Nov 13-21 and the batting is on sale the 21st. In their flyer it says "doorbuster items limited to stock on hand" but i can't find anyplace that says it's "in-store only"

Not Ranked
1 Posts
Points 50

I've been looking for info on this, too.  Here is a link I found on Pellon Projects.com, which shows the product packaging.

http://pellonideas.com/products/1464-natures-touch-batting.aspx

In the Joann's flyer in Sundays paper, 11/18, it shows this doorbuster for Wed 11/21.  The photo of this on joann.com

(http://www.joann.com/promotional-natural-cotton-roll-25yd/zprd_11976495a/?icn=doorbusters&ici=41)  corresponds to the photo at the pellonideas.com link above.

Also, if you go to this item on Joann.com, you can find out how many your store has in stock.  Just click on the "Locate in Store" link on the right, which will direct you enter your zip code & then you can see the stock at stores in your area.  Maybe that will save someone a trip only to find out the store is out of stock.  (I can't vouch for the accuracy of it - this is the 1st time I discovered it.)  Good Luck everyone!

• | Post Points: 50
Page 2 of 10 (144 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last ยป | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use