Pellon Nature's Soft batting

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 143 Replies | 12 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,450 Posts
Points 116,435
Judy Taylor-Bellingham posted on Fri, Nov 9 2012 10:19 AM

On Nov 21, Joann's will have a sale on Pellon Natures Soft cotton batting.  It's a 25 yard roll, 90" wide for $99.99 which looks incredible to me. Plus the 10% I get off for the QCA membership would bring it down to $90! It says it's lightweight, breathable, needle punched with a stabilizing scrim binder.

I don't know what all that means. Has anyone used it? How does it compare to Warm and Natural which is what I've always used?

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 170

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,337 Posts
Points 414,644
gini replied on Fri, Nov 9 2012 11:15 AM

that comes out to about $10 a quilt.   i haven't heard of it, but i will go check it out. scrim is the stuff they use to hold the batt together so it doesn't migrate after quilting and washing.   that is the reason we can do quilting 10 inches apart these days.   i think needle punched refers to how the scrim is held to the batt, but i'm not certain on that.  when you run your hand over the batt, one side has a stiffer feel, that is the scrim.   you can separate the scrim layer from the bottom layer of the batt and com up with a much thinner batt, if you ever feel the need.   it creates a very drapable quilt and if you hand quilt, gives you the teensiest stitches.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,337 Posts
Points 414,644
gini replied on Fri, Nov 9 2012 11:20 AM

Normally, I don't buy 100% cotton batting. I don't care for how flat it is and I definitely don't care for how much it shrinks. But, for whatever reason, I had a package of Pellon's "Nature's Touch" 100% cotton batting on hand. Aaarrggghhhh! I need to pre-shrink the batting before I could use it. ::sigh:: However, once that was done (a couple of really wet towels and the batting in the dryer on high heat), the batting came out incredibly soft, drapeable and no folds! Lovely stuff.

http://users.value.net/pirate/quilting/2012-04-ninja-throwing-stars/   above quote is from this website

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,450 Posts
Points 116,435

gini:
that comes out to about $10 a quilt.   i haven't heard of it, but i will go check it out

I hadn't heard of it either Gini. That's why I'm hesitant about putting out $90 for something only to find it isn't a good product. On the other hand, if it's good, that's a great price. I looked it up on Amazon and a queen size piece costs about $25.00. There weren't any reviews on Amazon so maybe it's a fairly new product. It's made by Pellon.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,337 Posts
Points 414,644
gini replied on Fri, Nov 9 2012 11:25 AM

judy, i'm just skimming through websites and i haven't found a bad review yet.   i liked the last one i posted.  looks like i'm off to joann's,   that's a good price.

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,450 Posts
Points 116,435

gini:

judy, i'm just skimming through websites and i haven't found a bad review yet.   i liked the last one i posted.  looks like i'm off to joann's,   that's a good price.

Thanks Gini. I have the 21st in my iPhone with a big Reminder alert. It's not a coupon sale so my QCA discount will apply also.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,337 Posts
Points 414,644
gini replied on Fri, Nov 9 2012 11:30 AM

http://californiaquilting.blogspot.com/2011/12/unsolicitated-and-unaffiliated-opinion.html

this one was so-so, but not bad

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Female
62 Posts
Points 745

Hi Judy,

My friends and I make alot of charity quilts.  This pellon batting would be a bonus for us at the price they are asking.  How do you get the QCA discount?  Do you order online?  I never received a membership card to show at the retail store.  Thanks for the discussion.

Not Ranked
Female
62 Posts
Points 745

Hi Judy

My friends and I make alot of charity quilts.  The price of the Pellon is excellent.  I wonder how you use the OCA membership to bring down the price.  I did not receive a membership card so do you order online?

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,443 Posts
Points 127,604

Adele Hoyt:
 I never received a membership card to show at the retail store.

Hi Judy and nice to meet you. You get a discount card when you become a paid member of Quilters Club. You can participate in the forums without being a paid member. If you are a paid member and did not get your card you would need to contact Customer Service.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,395 Posts
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Sat, Nov 10 2012 7:29 AM

Here's a link to Joanne's card for members:

Jo-Ann Fabric & Craft Stores: Get your 2012-2013 VIP Discount Card!

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Not Ranked
Female
62 Posts
Points 745

Thanks Patti,   Just filled out the request to Jo-Ann's for the VIP Discount Card.  

Top 10 Contributor
Female
24,447 Posts
Points 361,732
Kris replied on Sat, Nov 10 2012 7:57 PM

Judy,

if this is the "Nature's Touch" batting the only thing I could find was a discussion on "The Quilting Board". One person purchased but did not use. She exchanged it for Warm and Natural. Another person said it fell apart when she tried to prewash it.

I didn't read it all but you can check out the discussion if you wish.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,450 Posts
Points 116,435

Kris:
f this is the "Nature's Touch" batting the only thing I could find was a discussion on "The Quilting Board"

Kris, I'm not sure. Joann's flyer calls it "25 yard roll Pellon Natural Cotton Batting, 90" wide. Nature's Soft 100% cotton". It doesn't say it's Nature's Touch. Is this something different? I think I'll stop by Joann's and look at it and see what it says on the tag.

• | Post Points: 65
Page 1 of 10 (144 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last ยป | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use