rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 9 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
210 Posts
Points 5,385
Renee posted on Tue, Nov 6 2012 6:56 PM

Hello All,

Has anyone used the Petal Shapes ruler by Darlene Zimmerman.  

I am thinking about purchasing it but, I can't seem to find anyone who has used it.  I found one review that was was mixed.

http://www.simplicity.com/p-3785-45-petal-shapes-acrylic-tool.aspx

Thanks

• | Post Points: 35

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,778 Posts
Points 248,014

Renee, I did look at it , instead of spending the 10.00 for this  just make a template and use it . It is not a hard design to draw and it sure would save you some money.  Now that is just my suggestions.  Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,717 Posts
Points 436,765
Nana replied on Thu, Nov 8 2012 11:50 AM

Renee

I don't use rulers of any kind for my quilting so I can't help you.  I do quilt petal shapes freehand.  They really aren't hard if you practice a few before you start on your quilt.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
210 Posts
Points 5,385
Renee replied on Thu, Nov 8 2012 6:31 PM

Barbara and Nana - I have found templates that I could download online but, the patterns are for blocks and I am trying to make a table topper and placemats so, I am not sure if these would be big enough.

If anyone has a pattern for making a table topper with rounded dresden blades/petals, I would greatly appreciate it.

I saw omnigrid also has a template set for the petals but, they also state it makes a 12" block, but once again not sure it would be big enough.

I was trying to do this as a christmas gift but, that might be cutting it close.

Thanks again.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,717 Posts
Points 436,765
Nana replied on Thu, Nov 8 2012 9:13 PM

Renee

I totally misunderstood your question.  I thought you were talking about a quilting design instead of a dresden plate block design.   If I was doing a table topper I would make several of the 12 in blocks or even smaller and then sew them into the size you want.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 500 Contributor
Female
210 Posts
Points 5,385
Renee replied on Fri, Nov 9 2012 4:52 AM

Hi Nana,

I am trying to make a topper with just the petal center piece. I don't want it to be on a block.  I found someone on etsy who is selling them and she states that the topper is 22".  My problem is that if I free hand it I don't know how to make the curved part, so when you put it together you have a petal and not a circle with some slight indents

Here is what I trying to make

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,778 Posts
Points 248,014

Renee,you can make templates for a dresden plate that is how I did mine . Jeanny Doan ,from Missouri Star quilting company has a video  on U -Tube or what ever it is called on making a Dresden Plate.She has a very easy way of doing it and the curve comes out really well ,but do check out the video it will really help .  I did mine with hand made templates and it came out great ,Just make it the size you want to do your project on and make sure you add your 1/4 in seam allowance . The project you have listed here is really pretty.and should be fun to make.

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
210 Posts
Points 5,385
Renee replied on Sat, Nov 10 2012 7:14 AM

Hi Barbara,  I took a quick look on YouTube and I did see the dresden plate but, the only ones she is giving a tutorial on is the Fan blade.  I don't see anything with the petals.  I will send them an email and see if they can direct me.

I didn't think I would have this much trouble finding a pattern, tools, and templates  for such a historical pattern.  

Thanks for the help.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,778 Posts
Points 248,014

Renee do you have EQ7 ,they have all kinds of Dresden plate patterns or at least block patterns . Also if you go to" Quilt Blocks Galore" they have a dresden plate pattern you can use . with templates , this site is free and has tons of free patterns.  Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,479 Posts
Points 46,580

Renee, you can make the blade part the size you need and then use a cup, bowl or whatever round thing you need to draw on the top part.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use