Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 69
Points 1,235
Quiltlady66 Posted: Tue, Nov 6 2012 2:44 PM

Hello Quilter's

I am making a Memory Quilt for my daughter and I have the top all finished. I will be doing some FMQ on it, but, I'm not sure what I should do re: the photo area. I have several 5x7's and a 8x10 in quilt blocks. If any of you have made one before I would appreciate any suggestions re: do I quilt that area or would it be o'k not to ? Thank-you !

Quiltlady 66

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 66,013
Jeanine replied on Tue, Nov 6 2012 2:59 PM

I have made several photo quilts.  I have quilted right through them and it works fine.  Use a thinner thread like SoFine! by Superior and use a off-white to blend into the fabric your pictures were printed on.  Keep it loose but you will definitely want something to secure it down.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 66,013
Jeanine replied on Tue, Nov 6 2012 3:06 PM

This is the only picture I could find of a photo quilt I did.  You can see the meander going through the photos if you enlarge the photo.  This picture doesn't show it off the best but I think you get the idea.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 69
Points 1,235

Jeanine,

Thank-you for your info. Your quilt is beautiful, I am sure it is cherished by all. I'm sure mine will not look as nice as yours, but, I am sure my daughter will be so surprised to receive it. Her son is overseas in the Marines and it is a photo of him in his uniform and surrounded by different photos of him growing up. It is her only child and she really misses him. I thought a quilt of memories might be a comfort to her. I just want to quilt it the best way possible and that is why I posed the question. I appreciate your help.

Quiltlady66

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,409
Points 19,530

Quiltlady66:
Her son is overseas in the Marines and it is a photo of him in his uniform and surrounded by different photos of him growing up.

Hi Quiltlady66. I am planning on making a photo quilt for my niece and nephew. I also want to add photos of them growing up. I sure hope you post pictures of it as I would love to see one finished in the same manner I would like to do mine.

Jeanine, your quilt is so wonderful. I love getting to see everyone's quilts. I guess I quilt pretty slow since I have only posted 4 I think all year long. Thank you for sharing your quilts.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 289
Points 2,715
Pat replied on Tue, Nov 6 2012 9:42 PM

I, like Jeanine have made a few Memory Quilts, and I have also quilted through the pictures, and it worked fine.  I worried that if I didn't quilt through them that if they started washing it, I was afraid the batting might start to bunch up under the pictures.  Hope all the tips the ladies have given are some help to you.

Happy Quilting,

Pat..........In Missouri

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use