Top 10 Posters

Sewing a King size quilt on little sewing machine?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Female
6 Posts
Points 210
Tara posted on Tue, Nov 6 2012 4:25 AM

Hi, new quilter here.  Currently I am working on a lap quilt, but would like to make a quilt for a king size bed.  How do you do that with a little sewing machine?  My machine is a Janome 5100.

Tara, New Hope, Al

• | Post Points: 35

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,394 Posts
Points 27,280
Suggested by Ms MoomMist

Tara :

Hi, new quilter here.  Currently I am working on a lap quilt, but would like to make a quilt for a king size bed.  How do you do that with a little sewing machine?  My machine is a Janome 5100.

Tara, check out Leah Day's website, she does all her quilts on a Domestic machine. http://www.freemotionquilting.blogspot.com/2012/01/quilt-along-1-lets-wiggle.html 

xoxoxo,

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,482 Posts
Points 43,630

I just finished one and it was a bit of a challenge. Can be done though

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Female
402 Posts
Points 6,110

craftsy.com has a great class that covers many methods to getting a large quilt done on a DSM. 

Pat--"Keep Calm and Carry On"

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
19 Posts
Points 300

Hi Tara:   I am a newbie as well.  i signed up for a free motion  quilting class on Craftsy.com.  The class is from Leah Day.  If you go to her website first,  then click the link to craftsy from her blog, the class is only $19.99.    There is another class from Ann Peterson called "Quilting a quilt on small machines".  You may find this class helpful as well.  Let us know how you are doing.  I am just now learning how to quilt and have never done any free motion quilting before.  So I am taking the FREE class on Craftsy block of the month.  I have finished all of my blocks and ready to learn FMQ.  Good luck.  Oh by the way, you can quilt it one block at a time or even half of the quilt at a time.

Not Ranked
19 Posts
Points 300

Don't  you just love Leah Day.  She is just one of the best teachers I have ever seen.  I have now modified my FMQ foot or "darning foot" that the manufacturer sent with my machine and Leah helped me modify it to work well. 

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
6 Posts
Points 210

Thanks!  I will check out those sites.

Tara, New Hope, Al

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use