Another wedding quilt question

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Female
7 Posts
Points 160
Lon posted on Sun, Nov 4 2012 8:17 PM

I have designed a quilt top from my daughters Centeral design of her wedding canopy.

I also have used different fabrics such as satin,   Linen and textured cotton. 

After completing  the quilt top I took it to two  long arm quilter for  a quote.   Neither of the quilters wanted  to do the Job.  I suspect, being a novice quilter, they were nervous about the center of the quilt as it  is a 48"  satin circle set in a textured cotton square and cotton borders.

My questions are, what should I expect from a professional quilter and what is the competitive Priceline for a queen size quilt and where should I further look for a professional quilter?  

A frustrated novice,

Lon

• | Post Points: 20

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,402 Posts
Points 119,641
Patti replied on Sun, Nov 4 2012 9:39 PM

Satin is not as forgiving as cotton.  Tends to slide, and any corrections are obvious, and the holes remain holes.  For this reason, basting can also be a problem.  You would need to find someone experienced with satin.  Very beautiful but much more difficult, specially if there is  wide expanse.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Not Ranked
Female
7 Posts
Points 160
Lon replied on Mon, Nov 5 2012 9:05 PM

Thanks Patti for your comments.  Iif I reinforced the satin with fusible inter facing would be helpful.  Te satin is the center motif with an additional 1 i1/2 border within the design.  Or is this just a bad idea?

Lon

Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,402 Posts
Points 119,641
Patti replied on Tue, Nov 6 2012 5:29 AM

I haven't worked with satin for quilting myself.  Maybe you could experiment with some scraps.  If you google quilting on satin, you can see some beautiful results.  It can be very beautiful.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use