Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 16 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 10
Points 290
Va' quiltar! Posted: Sun, Nov 4 2012 6:17 AM

Since I write from Italy - my hometown, I am very curious in knowing how much is the average price for a yard of fabric in the usa. Here in Europe prices are awfully high to me- about 16-20 euros per meter, that should be between 20 and 28 dollars!!

this question rises from the fact that it sounds like buying fabrics in the usa is something quiet affordable. it seems like ladies can buy fabric without thinking exactly how much they need. I work in a shop that sells american quilting fabric, and most of the customers go for 8-15 inches cuts because prices are so high.

the price for a queen bed quilt goes between 200 to 300 euros depending on the batting you choose too!

va' quiltar! 

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 230
mcfay replied on Sun, Nov 4 2012 6:39 AM

Could you order over the internet and come out less. I'm afraid if I lived there I wouldn't be sewing.

I buy lots of my fabric at a place called Goodwill stores. It's places that people donate used clothing, furniture, toys and just anything they don't want. Sometime there will be estates where the person passes away, or the elderly lady may have to give up their home and go into a nursing home. The family donated her stuff that call be sold to the store. So I get bundles of fabric for $2.99 up to $4.99.

Also my daughter in law a couple months ago stoped at a yard sale, She got a whole car trunk full of quilting fabric for $10.00. It also had two boxes of thread and a box of buttons.

In fabric stores here the fabric goes for between $8.00 and about $12.00. We also have a store called Wal Mart. They sell fabric. It's not the best, but if you don't have a lot of money you can get "their" better fabric for $4.96 to $6.96 a yard.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,849
Points 85,825
Sukochi replied on Sun, Nov 4 2012 7:22 AM

Oh my. That is down right scary. My local LQS is charging about $13.00 a yard for some of the fabric.. She has a sale table for $5.00 a yard.  Right now, I am living off my stash.

Sukochi

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,656
Points 136,082

Va, I would have to give up quilting if I had to pay those prices. Can you order online frome the US, and get a cheaper deal even with international shipping?

[Ava, Missouri

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Sun, Nov 4 2012 9:42 AM

I have to agree with Leslie . try shopping online  many of the bigger shops will sell international and it has to be cheaper even with the cost of postage. . You can at least check it out . There is a site called  www.fabshophop.com which has hundereds of shops listed . I'd start with that list and check it out . Also Connection Threads , and Quilt Warehouse,are just a few ..

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,399
Points 119,586
Patti replied on Sun, Nov 4 2012 9:53 AM

Wow, I'd be cutting up old shirts before I  paid those prices.  Or have a very small stash.  I think many of our on-line fabric stores could send you fabric and with the cost of fabric and shipping, still come out less.  One of my favorites, e-quilter.com is having a big sale right now, and some of the fabrics are less than $5 a yard. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 238
Points 4,295
Christine replied on Wed, Nov 7 2012 10:24 PM

The quilt shops near me sell fabric for $8 to $12 (batiks)  They try to stay competitive with online buying. 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,059
Points 13,715
Carey replied on Thu, Nov 8 2012 6:46 PM

Why is everything in europe more costly is the real question? Gasonline there from last I heard was also 8 bucks a gallon or higher.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,408
Points 19,580

Hi Va' Quiltar!

Here is another site with very reasonable prices. http://www.thousandsofbolts.com/  It seems that even with international shipping, you would still pay less. I usually buy on line. I have a LQS but their prices are usually over $12.00 per yard. I don't know how much that is in Europe.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,664
Points 120,340

Well, gosh, I'm excited. I did a Google search for some fabric I needed. I couldn't remember where I bought it so plugged in the info from the salvage. Calico Cottage had the fabric. I placed the order and there was a little field for checking on frequent purchase credits. I clicked on it and Lo and Behold I had over $12.00 in purchase credits earned from previous purchases. I do vaguely remember ordering from them earlier this year or maybe even last year.  Plus the fabric I wanted was on sale for under $7.00 a yard. I now have them marked as a big online favorite with an icon on my desktop.

www.thecalicocottagequiltshop.com

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Sun, Nov 11 2012 9:30 AM

Judy this is one of my favorite shops to buy from ,they have some great civil War fabric and I can usually find it in the 5.00 sale fabric . their fabric is of really good quality and it sew up wonderfully.

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 34
Points 735

My DH is locked into his mother's mindset - she never could understand buying great material and cutting it up just to sew it back together - and so he about has a FIT when he sees a fabric store receipt show up on my credit card.

I'm beginning to wonder if I can afford to take this up as a hobby for my retirement years....DANG....I was shocked going back into fabric shopping after about 10 years out of the loop.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Sun, Nov 11 2012 10:26 AM

Sue there is affordable fabric out there  you just have to spend some time looking for it . That is one of the many reasons I shop online. this shop mentioned above has really nice fabric and a very big Sales section with alot of 5.00 fabric that was once the good stuff you paid more for . check it out.  Me late hubby use to do the same as yours ,then I started telling him about all his tools he has and never uses and that kinda stopped that issue. You have to have a stash to be able to do your quilts.  It doesn't have to be huge, lol but it sure is fun to have it that way ....Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,443
Points 176,258
Marie replied on Sun, Nov 11 2012 12:19 PM

SuzyCraftMaker:
he about has a FIT when he sees a fabric store receipt show up on my credit card

Sue, do you have a best friend?  When one of my best friends needed some craft items, she's a big time crafter, I would shop with her and put whatever she needed on my charge card and then by the time the bill came in she gave me the cash for it and her husband was none the wiser.  :  )  We ladies can be very devious when we put our minds to it.  Sorry guys, we have to do what we have to do.  LOL  Hell, thinking about it I should be PMing this instead of all to see but heck, it may also help another shopper so here goes.

Millbury, MA

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 143
Points 4,460
Joe replied on Mon, Nov 12 2012 8:03 AM

Reporting that I finished the two matching mats that match the bug etc table runner. Now starting  requested baby quilt for expected one, fabric scraps handed over by family members. The mismatch is going to drive my poor wife to drinking black tea and strong coffee before it is all over.

Wait til you see.

Sorry y'all. I posted this in the wrong place.

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use