Walking feet

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 12 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,139 Posts
Points 14,735
Dawn posted on Sat, Nov 3 2012 8:52 PM

Was thinking of getting one, but not sure if I really need one.  I don't do machine quilting, I think the only reason I would need one is when I put binding on .. .  I would be spending about $60 for one.  Any ideas or other reasons I would need one?  What else do you use one for?  

Thanks!

• | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,778 Posts
Points 248,014

Dawn <I would not get one if you don't anticipate doing any Quilting. That's alot of money to spend on something you will very sledom use. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,139 Posts
Points 14,735
Dawn replied on Sat, Nov 3 2012 9:17 PM

thanks Barbara!  That is what I was thinking.  I did order a 1/4" foot, as I found I was STILL not stitching a 1/4" seam!  Makes me crazy!  But maybe now I can improve.  Have a great night!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,459 Posts
Points 244,002
Thea replied on Sat, Nov 3 2012 10:03 PM

Dawn - I agree with Barbara - although I use the walking foot that is on my Pfaff all the time - but the one for my Janome I almost never use.  I will say this about the 1/4" foot - you may still have problems - sometimes even with that foot you have to go inside a thread or two sometimes.  I recommend always making one test block to see if you are accurate in your piecing.  If you are still having problems, I use to recommend to my students to draw the 1/4" line on their fabric so they could see what it looked like - I had done this for years when I hand pieced so was used to seeing the 1/4" - but sometimes for machine piecing it is a good idea - then you will get that eye to hand coordination thing down pat.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
11,656 Posts
Points 136,082

Dawn, I use the dual feed walking foot on my Janome 7700 all the time for piecing love the control. 

[Ava, Missouri

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,139 Posts
Points 14,735
Dawn replied on Sun, Nov 4 2012 7:20 AM

Thanks Thea and Leslie! 

Thea, that sounds like something I may have to do.  I at least know when I cut something wrong, but sewing is another thing.  I had never heard of a 1/4" foot, till QCA, so thought I would at least see if I could get closer!  Tired of 9" blocks coming out 8"!  :-)

Top 150 Contributor
Female
605 Posts
Points 12,675

I don't sew anything without my walking foot.  I don't do any machine quilting either.  

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,139 Posts
Points 14,735
Dawn replied on Wed, Nov 14 2012 4:20 PM

A couple years ago I saw that Hancock fabrics here in town were selling kinda generic feet.  I thought well, I will try the walking foot.  I couldn't get it to work.  So, I just put it away and went on my way.  Well, when I got my 1/4" foot, was putting it on, and DH came in to see how it was working and I showed him the walking foot.  As I had recently retried the thing.  Well, he messed w/it and yeah, of course he got it to work!  Yay!  So, will be glad to use it later.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,356 Posts
Points 31,985

Dawn,  a walking foot is also really nice when you are trying to sew layers of flannel, cordaroy, velvet, etc together.   I don't usually piece with a WF, but when working with flannel I always do.

Max

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
2,755 Posts
Points 38,915
ls2116 replied on Wed, Nov 14 2012 8:45 PM

On my Pfaff I've been using  " Little Foot "  I can't remember if it is true 1/4 ".  Thea great idea with drawing line  and what Pfaff do you have?. I'm gonna have to measure my Little foot It looks like 1/4" but now I"m second guessing.  

Quilting My Rainbow

Not Ranked
19 Posts
Points 300

Hi.  I have not ever done machine quilting.  But, this site might be helpful to you.  Leah Day is an excellent teacher and she shows here how to modify a darning/quilting foot to actually work.  I modified mine (the one that came with my machine)  according to her instructions and it works great.  I also got another 1/4" foot from her which is hands down the best decision I have made for quilt piecing.  Leah teaches a class on Craftsy called "Free Motion Quilting a sampler".  It is a really good class. 

http://www.daystyledesigns.com/freemotionfoot.htm

Not Ranked
Female
15 Posts
Points 225
LeftyLou replied on Sun, Nov 18 2012 12:45 PM

I love Leah Day!  She has lots of posts on youtube.  You should check them out.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,209 Posts
Points 16,230

Dawn, What kind of machine do you have ? I have an extra walking foot  if it will fit your machine.   Susan

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use