Page 4 of 5 (63 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 62 Replies | 6 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 6
Points 220
Jan replied on Thu, Mar 18 2010 10:25 PM

Hi!! I am a newbie to this 'club'. I was able to take over a small bedroom for my true blue all mine sewing room!! I started out using 4' folding tables for my machines. I now have a couter top - cut to fit  the space. I have a folding cutting table, and I bought a small buffet that I covered and use as my ironing surface. I have a 2 door freestanding closet unit that houses 'some' of the stash, the rest is in a small chest of drawers, this chest is under the counter that holds my machine. I have a Gracie II in this space as well. On the last wall is a 2' bookcase that houses my library! I am in the process of setting up a space in the lower level (we have a raised ranch) to have classes. I have an Ikea dining table that I will use for cutting, the 4' tables will be used for the machines. I plan on having a design wall. Hopefully this will be up and running for the first of April! Classes will be for kids 10yrs and up! I have picked up a few machines - for some good prices, and have 2 at the shop getting worked on, maybe getting one good one out of the 2 I brought in, They are 'Dressmaker' machines (my mom sewed on an old Dressmaker for years and years!) Couldn't pass up the bargin price of $25.00 for the 2 - the others cost me $35, and $80 - that one was brand new in the box!! I have made quilted covers for 2 of them. I want the room filled with samples of quilting - to motivate my students! Will keep you posted on my progress!! I am not too excited about this - will actually say so long to my Real Estate career if this takes off! Chat soon!!

Jan

• | Post Points: 110
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,739
Points 436,625
Nana replied on Thu, Mar 18 2010 10:34 PM

Jan

Your quilting classes for youth is an awesome idea.  I will be praying for you that everything works out.  Our children today just are not exposed to needlework like most of us were as we were growing up.  Kudos to you for undertaking this class.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 553
Points 11,305
Gagoo replied on Thu, Mar 18 2010 10:38 PM

Jan, welcome to our club. I hope you find it useful, these wonderful lades have lots of ideas.

How fun it must be to set up your own studio, and teaching to kids is wonderful. Good luck and please post pictures of quilts you have made. We are a nosy bunch!!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185
Judy Iliff replied on Thu, Mar 18 2010 10:54 PM

Jan, welcome to the QCA forums. Your plans are exciting!

Gillette, WY

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,537
Points 416,944
gini replied on Thu, Mar 18 2010 11:51 PM

jan, welocme.  it sounds like you are embarking on an exciting new adventure.   it'll be fun to work with and motivate kids that age.    good luck and enjoy the site.   gini

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Posts 50
Points 894
h202blonde replied on Mon, Mar 22 2010 11:28 AM

hi jan! teaching is a wonderful idea! are you still in the planning stages? i was just wondering how many kids you think you'll have. i've thought of starting a group of students as well (if i EVER get the studio done!) and wondered how much interest there was....blondie

blondie

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 4
Points 130
Cindi replied on Mon, Mar 22 2010 2:06 PM

Seeing your studio makes me wish I had a basement.  It is gorgeous.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185

Thanks, Cindi! At least I think you were saying this to me. Oh, well, if you weren't I'll thank you for whomever you complimenting! LOL!

Welcome to the QCA forums!

Gillette, WY

Not Ranked
Posts 50
Points 894

gini....you have no idea. OMG. had one contractor who suggested i run an extension cord out the house window (hello?)...another one who seems *slightly* more professional...at least he sent a licensed electrician to size up the job. now i'm considering pergo floors and a chandelier. hold me back...lol!  blondie

blondie

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,537
Points 416,944
gini replied on Fri, Apr 16 2010 1:28 PM

well, at least , blondie, you will have a chandelier to hang from if you feel the need.

when we were remodeling our condo, one weekend we arrived and  on one 8" wall ( there are cabinets on the rest of the wall)  the electrician had lined up, from knee high to eye high, a sting of light switches.   i looked at it and started laughing.   i told tom, "that isn't going to work for me".     he was pretty indignant.  i had to point out to him a wall that made logical sense to place them.    he started stuttering, " but i'll have to pull more wire". 

""it's about ten feet more wire , and hello? isn't that your job".   it isn't like we weren't paying for all the extra wire and his time anyway.    sam didn't let me deal with the contractors too much,  i don't have the patience for stoopid.   gini

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 6
Points 220
Jan replied on Fri, Apr 16 2010 4:47 PM

Just remember some electricians graduated in the top half of their class  - and the rest - well guess that was your guy! It's amazing how they don't think...in my last house, I had 2 hall lights on the second floor - one towards the front of the house - the other towards the back...guess what - we could not turn that light (back of the house one) off from the first floor. We would have to climb the flight of stairs to the switch there...I would make the kids do it  - as they were usaully the ones that didn't turn it off!! Very annoying!! But such a simple thing! Let's face it - when the design is really screwed up  - you can bet a guy did it!!

Jan

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,537
Points 416,944
gini replied on Fri, Apr 16 2010 8:51 PM

jan, you are so right.  when we got this condo, which is smallish,  it had two, TWO, hallways going right down the center.    the room with the best view was the master bedroom with a postage stamp  for a window.    we took everything out  of the interior and started over.    we now have one small hall from the front door to the living room.  and our former master bedroom, has floor to ceiling windows on two sides and is  now the dining room.   the space that used to hold two bedrooms and two bathrooms is now dining room and kitchen.   we can now enjoy our beautiful view from the living room, dining room and kitchen.  the kitchen  and dining room used to be at the back, with very limited  views.  and we had a limited view out the living room.   now the whole front is windows.   i can see the lake and our 7 acre yard from that entire end of the  of the house. i know  a man had to have designed this.     gini

gini in north idaho

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 961
Points 11,961
Anita replied on Sat, May 15 2010 9:58 AM

your studio looks great.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 70
Points 960
Suzette replied on Sun, May 16 2010 5:34 PM

Thanks for posting pictures of your studio.  We are in the midst of building my "Quilt Shack".  I love seeing how others have theirs set up.

SUZETTE58

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,540
Points 46,089

Suzette...do you have any pictures of your quilt shack?? I love my quilting studio..

Ontario, Canada

Page 4 of 5 (63 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use