ironing

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
4 Posts
Points 185
Sharon Benson posted on Fri, Nov 2 2012 10:00 PM

While sewing my quilt, of course I need to iron, well I press it, it looks ironed, then 2 minutes later, it looks as wrinkled again, like it was never ironed. What do I have to do to iron/press to keep the wrinkle out? I press on it as hard as I can and that didn't help. Help needed

• Filed under:
  • | Post Points: 80

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,406 Posts
Points 19,540

I know this is probably the wrong answer, but I keep a spray bottle on my ironing board. I just spritz it once in a while and sometimes I just leave iron on it for a little longer. I know you'll get many other better answers.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,406 Posts
Points 19,540

By the way, welcome to the club.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,289 Posts
Points 413,919
gini replied on Fri, Nov 2 2012 10:17 PM

hi sharon, welcome to the group.   you need to press periodically to make sure everything is laying right. once you know the pieces are not puckering, you go to the next step or steps, then press again to check.    the important pressing, the one where you want to keep the wrinkles out,  is right before you baste it.   i have the back and batt ready, then i press the top and apply it to the other layers. 

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,698 Posts
Points 436,385
Nana replied on Fri, Nov 2 2012 10:28 PM

Sharon

Along with everyone's great tips I suggest using Mary Ellen's Best Press.  It takes care of wrinkles better than anything I have found.  It also gives the fabric a nice crisp feel but it isn't starch.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,443 Posts
Points 127,589

Hi Sharon, nice to meet you.

I also keep a spray bottle next to my iron and I use starch, mostly cause I'm too cheap to buy the other stuff. LOL  But the starch works well for me and it washes out.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use