basting spray

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 16
Points 125
grandmaquilter Posted: Fri, Nov 2 2012 1:20 PM

I hand quilt the full size bed quilts that I make for my grandchildren when they graduate from high school.  When getting ready to begin quilting the 5th one, I decided that I would try basting spray instead of hand basting with thread, which is what I have always done before.  My attempt was less that successful.  The top looks smooth, but when I turned over to the back, it is not.  My question for those who have used basting spray is:  Do you spray the whole quilt, or just certain places, like when thread basting?  I am thinking that may be where I went astray.  If you do the whole thing, any tips you can give me would be much appreciated.  I have already decided that if I use basting spray again for a large quilt, I will wear disposable gloves, since I had to use a pot scraper to get my hands clean last time.  Grandmaquilter

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,760
Points 247,454
Barbara replied on Fri, Nov 2 2012 2:40 PM

I use it on both sides ,the whole quilt . BUt I will go ahead and  pin it places .to keep it from shifting . I do pin all the edges and some of the high points I want to make sure don't move on me.  I don't have to add alot but just enough to keep edges in tack . 

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 15
Points 90

I also use spray but still still a few pins in and around on the quilt.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 15
Points 90

Before I spray the backing I still clamp the backing to the table or tape it to the floor.  I find that helps keep things smooth.  Then I spray the backing---place the batting on--and spray the back of the top.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 645
Points 16,310

I pretty much do it Marlene's way, but I only spray about a third down, lay the batting on, spray another third, etc. Then do the top the same way.  It just makes it easier to handle for me.  I also use a few pins especially on the edges. 

Brigit-Carol

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,482
Points 43,630
Vivian replied on Sat, Nov 3 2012 10:07 PM

It really takes at least two people to baste a quilt, more if it is a big one.  Lay down the backing, put the batt on top and put the top on next.  Fold the top back half and spray.  fold the top back in place and smooth flat.  you may have to slide your hand inbetween the top and the batt to remove wrinkles.  Fold the last half back on itself spray and repeat.   when its smooth, flip the entire quilt and do the same for the backing.  When the backing is smooth, flip it back and check the front again.

If you have one person on each side they can hold the fabric taunt and eleminate most of the wrinkeling.  When I sprayed my king size quilt , we had four ladies, one on each side at the center fold and one at each side at the top.  when you have some practice it goes very well.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,403
Points 45,195

If you google "spray basting a quilt" you will see some youtube videos with various ways of using spray basting. I find that it helps to see someone do something. I always use basting spray to baste.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,649
Points 135,942

I also tape my back down to a hard surface, makeing sure it is smooth then spray with basting spray and layer doing the same

[Ava, Missouri

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use