Top 10 Posters

Does anyone use a Quilt Back with Muslin?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 12 verified answers | 21 Replies | 6 Followers

Not Ranked
19 Posts
Points 300
Silverlining posted on Wed, Oct 31 2012 11:49 AM

I am doing the Craftsy BOM.  So, I was just wondering... since this is probably not my best work... does anyone use muslin anymore for quilt back?  If so,  what quality to buy?  And where do you purchase it??

I could really use  your help.  What do you think?  I am a newbie quilter so any advice is welcome.

Thanks

• | Post Points: 95

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,018 Posts
Points 28,450
Answered (Verified) Ramona replied on Wed, Oct 31 2012 11:56 AM
Verified by Silverlining

Silverlining,

When I first started quilting I never used muslin for backing. Now I try to use the wide backs to save a few dollars. But there are just quilts that call for muslin and I have certainly used the bleached and unbleached. I have purchased mine, with a coupon, from JoAnn's.  Sorry, I don't know the brand. I just went and looked and since I bought yardage and not a bolt, I don't have the name. It feels good though.  But it is certainly ok to use the muslin in my opinion.

• | Post Points: 40
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,400 Posts
Points 415,559
Answered (Verified) gini replied on Wed, Oct 31 2012 12:22 PM
Verified by Silverlining

hi silver lining, welcome to the group. i use muslin on the backs of my appliqued quilts, i use a good quality muslin.   mainly i like to piece my backs, but i need to be aware if i need   a light background, piecing or a patterned backing can show through to the top.

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
3,520 Posts
Points 50,910
Answered (Verified) Ginny replied on Wed, Oct 31 2012 4:06 PM
Verified by Silverlining

Nana  The Joann's by me doesn't have the kona anymore.  They carry sew essentials( which I believe is their own)  and premium muslin by legacy.  I like the premium by legacy one.    Ginny

• | Post Points: 25
Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,334 Posts
Points 241,792
Answered (Verified) Thea replied on Wed, Oct 31 2012 6:11 PM
Verified by Silverlining

Muslin works great for backings on almost any quilt - good quality is sold at most JoAnn's or Hancock's - it comes bleached or unbleached  - whichever is your preference.  You can tell the quality by touching it - if you can see your hand through it - then I wouldn't buy it - you want it heavy enough that you can't see through it.  I use it on what I call utility quilts - baby quilts and quilts for the young ones that are going to be thrown around or on the floor - also it is good for backings on quilts you will use as table cloths or picnic quilt.  I haven't used it on my quilts that I have spent weeks making but I do know that my Grandmother in law - used muslin for all her quilts and they are still kicking and doing wonderful!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,784 Posts
Points 30,506
Answered (Verified) Joni replied on Wed, Oct 31 2012 6:49 PM
Verified by Silverlining

I look the best quality muslin I can find, and when it is on sale I buy the whole bolt.  It is awesome to use for handquilting.   Makes great sashing.  I also prefer unbleached muslin. I plan to make some table runners and placemats and use muslin for the backings.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
127 Posts
Points 2,250
Verified by Silverlining

Love muslin for backs. Used to use good quilting material, but decided to try muslin on a flannel quilt I made for my own use. When I got it back from the long-armer, I decided to use in almost exclusively. The quilter had used dark green thread and did free hand leaves (my flannel blocks were fall/wintery looking). I think the back looks better than the front! So use the muslin. Get the good stuff (it's still cheaper than expensive quilting material) and you can get the cheap muslin for foundation piecing.

Not Ranked
Female
64 Posts
Points 2,085
Answered (Verified) Caryl replied on Thu, Nov 1 2012 3:54 PM
Verified by Silverlining

You probably know by now that we all have used good quality muslin for projects.  On the other side of the coin...we must have tried the cheaper, lower quality muslin to know this.   So if information is your goal you got some good feed back.

I have not used it as a backing.  I have seen some quilts done with it and found we judged the quilting persons ability instead of looking at the whole quilt.  It can make or break a great job.  I like patterned or pieced backs best.

Welcome to the group.

Caryl in Buda, TX

Not Ranked
19 Posts
Points 300
Verified by Silverlining

Thanks everyone.  I know feel much better about using muslin for the back of this particular quilt. 

This is my first quilt so nothing fancy here.

Next quilt will be patterned or pieced or both.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,002 Posts
Points 13,060
Verified by Silverlining

Good morning silverlining, I see you have great response, and I too use muslin on some quilts. I use the legacy name from Joann's, unbleached 90",108" or 120" (permapress & pre-washed), it stands up for years and is great for lap or baby quilts &  it maintains a soft hand. I pre-wash to shrink, as I do with all of my fabrics, you can straighten the grain and then cut what you will need. then I press and starch it before layering. I use the scraps for pot holders and small crafty projects. I even used some pieces for backs of baby bibs, no since in using premium fabric on the backs of those things.. lol I always use a coupon! sew essentials is a cheaper fabric and is OK for a foundation block, stay away from the roc loc. There is a 200 count available in the LQS but it is expensive around $10. for the 45".  good answers everyone!!  Happy Shopping!

Top 200 Contributor
Female
289 Posts
Points 2,715
Answered (Verified) Pat replied on Mon, Nov 5 2012 11:24 AM
Verified by Silverlining

Hi silver lining, Welcome.  I also use unbleached, and bleached muslin, with good results.  I buy the wide backing to save money.  I have used muslin for a lot of years, and I usually buy it from my local quilt shop.

Happy Quilting,

Pat..........In Missouri

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,400 Posts
Points 415,559
Answered (Verified) gini replied on Mon, Nov 5 2012 11:25 AM
Verified by Silverlining

i forgot to say, that i use so much mulin, that i buy it by the bolt.  that and kona black

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
5 Posts
Points 60
Verified by Silverlining

Silverlining:    

Thanks for asking this question.  I also did the Craftsy BOM and wondered if I could use Muslin.  I recently retired and started

quilting so I am still a beginner and new to Quilters Club.      Thanks also to everyone for your advise.    Millie in Pittsburgh

All Replies

Not Ranked
19 Posts
Points 300
Verified by Silverlining

Thanks everyone.  I know feel much better about using muslin for the back of this particular quilt. 

This is my first quilt so nothing fancy here.

Next quilt will be patterned or pieced or both.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,002 Posts
Points 13,060
Verified by Silverlining

Good morning silverlining, I see you have great response, and I too use muslin on some quilts. I use the legacy name from Joann's, unbleached 90",108" or 120" (permapress & pre-washed), it stands up for years and is great for lap or baby quilts &  it maintains a soft hand. I pre-wash to shrink, as I do with all of my fabrics, you can straighten the grain and then cut what you will need. then I press and starch it before layering. I use the scraps for pot holders and small crafty projects. I even used some pieces for backs of baby bibs, no since in using premium fabric on the backs of those things.. lol I always use a coupon! sew essentials is a cheaper fabric and is OK for a foundation block, stay away from the roc loc. There is a 200 count available in the LQS but it is expensive around $10. for the 45".  good answers everyone!!  Happy Shopping!

Top 200 Contributor
Female
289 Posts
Points 2,715
Answered (Verified) Pat replied on Mon, Nov 5 2012 11:24 AM
Verified by Silverlining

Hi silver lining, Welcome.  I also use unbleached, and bleached muslin, with good results.  I buy the wide backing to save money.  I have used muslin for a lot of years, and I usually buy it from my local quilt shop.

Happy Quilting,

Pat..........In Missouri

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,400 Posts
Points 415,559
Answered (Verified) gini replied on Mon, Nov 5 2012 11:25 AM
Verified by Silverlining

i forgot to say, that i use so much mulin, that i buy it by the bolt.  that and kona black

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
19 Posts
Points 300

This is good information for me.  I did buy the cheap muslin at Joann's.  But I bought it for foundation piecing just like you said.  I didn't want to use good fabric for piecing since it is not seen on the back.  Good to know that the legacy line there is okay to use.  I don't usually prewash my fabric before qullting; but I can see the point of prewashing it for certain projects.  I expect my quilt to shrink a little bit anyway.

This is the only forum that I actually get a response from.  It is good to know that you are all here to help me.  I am really new at this and need all the help I can get.  I am taking some classes from Craftsy.  The BOM and Leah Day's class on free motion quillting.  She is fabulous.  Check her out.  She really has some good tips. 

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
5 Posts
Points 60
Verified by Silverlining

Silverlining:    

Thanks for asking this question.  I also did the Craftsy BOM and wondered if I could use Muslin.  I recently retired and started

quilting so I am still a beginner and new to Quilters Club.      Thanks also to everyone for your advise.    Millie in Pittsburgh

Not Ranked
19 Posts
Points 300

Hi Millie.  Nice to meet you.  I think I have decided to use muslin to back the Craftsy BOM.  I also decided to do 16 blocks rather than the 20.

It is nice to have a friend here.  I am new to this as well.  I am also taking Leah Day's Free Motion Quilting Class a Sampler.  She is wonderful.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 2 of 2 (22 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use