Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B Posted: Tue, Oct 30 2012 12:19 PM

I  have a tip for using metallic thead - both for top stitching and machine embroidery.

Use a supplemental thread spool-holder;  set it on the floor - below the level of and behind your machine.  Then, put the metallic thread spool on the holder UP SIDE DOWN (this is very important)!  As the thread comes off the spool, it will "un-kink" itself and move smoothly through your machine with no breakage.  Using this method you should not need to slow down the speed of your machine!

Note, if you don't have a supplemental thread spool-holder, you can make one with a long screw (or nail)  installed through the center of a block of wood (to set your spool on) and a heavy wire ( make a loop on the end around a pencil) inserted into the block of wood as a thread guide.

Here's a picture of a plastic one, but they are easy to make:

Single Spool/Cone Embroidery Thread Stand

I hope you will find this tip helpful...

Winthrop, WA

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,529
Points 177,453
Marie replied on Tue, Oct 30 2012 12:31 PM

OK, I'll bite...........Which way is upside down on a spool of thread?  I could picture the cones upside down but not a spool of thread.

Signed,

Dunce or Dense

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Tue, Oct 30 2012 2:25 PM

Marie:

OK, I'll bite...........Which way is upside down on a spool of thread?  I could picture the cones upside down but not a spool of thread.

Signed,

Dunce or Dense

You know I did think of that as I was writing this.  I only use cones, so that issue hasn't come up for me. 

I would say try it one way, and if it kinks, flip it over (and then mark the spool).

Winthrop, WA

• | Post Points: 0
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 30

Thanks for the metalic threads tips I have a spool

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Hi Marilouj, it is nice to meet you!

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Thanks for the tip Donna...

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,465
Points 416,829
gini replied on Mon, Nov 5 2012 4:13 PM

i learned a couple of other things about metallic thread at the class i took last month

use a Jean/denim size 80 needle.  the eye is higher and longer and bigger, so the thread spends less time traveling back and forth through the eye and is less likely to shred,  the shaft is stronger and the point is sharper that sharps needles.

use a metallic needle for the heavy metallics.   the 70/80 jeans is best for other metallics.

sew slower

madiera is a rougher metallic, but it has black

yenmet is good and so is YLI

gini in north idaho

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,784
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Mon, Nov 5 2012 5:17 PM

I said it before and I'll say it again.  This site is a wealth of information, about the time I'm ready to come online and seek someone to give me what I need...VIOLA!   Someone starts a thread answering my question.

Thanks Donna B. et al!

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use