Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 17 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 6
Points 240
Dray Posted: Fri, Oct 26 2012 6:05 AM

I am a a retired Choral Directress (21 years) and School Counselor (16 years). I am a wife, mother to 4 adult children, grandmother to 8, and greatgrandmother to 1.

I am new to quilting. I've actually sewn for years but making clothes for myself and my 4 children. I learned to sew from my mother who was a great dressmaker and quilter, but I was only interested in clothing. So I missed out on all she could have taught me as far as quilting goes.

But clothing patterns became too high, as did material, thread, zippers, buttons, etc. So I finally gave that up. We were on a budget and it was more economical to cloth my family from the local stores than to make them at home.

But I miss sewing. So I've decided to quilt. I've already made one but it was a struggle. I'm hoping to learn from all of you. My favorite saying to my school children, who were hesitant to make suggestions to a teacher), was that "all of us are smarter than one of us." I feel this is the case in this instance and am looking forward to learning.

Glad to be here,

Dray from Oklahoma

• | Post Points: 110
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,497
Points 30,470
Diana replied on Fri, Oct 26 2012 6:25 AM

Welcome Dray,   We quilters are a fun bunch and we love to share our love of quilting.  We have a few quilters here from OK so you may find a real close quilting buddy.   As my teachers always said..'There are no dumb questions, just dumb answers'.   lol   So ask away.  There are also lots of groups you can join for specialized help.  Jump right in and enjoy yourself.

Diana (Bink) in East Tn. 

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 15
Points 585

welcome, im new here too and i have found the resources on here to be extremely helpful. there are lots of pictures to use for inspiration as well. i struggled a bit with my first quilt too, ive decided to use it as a learning experience. 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,250
Points 239,932
Thea replied on Fri, Oct 26 2012 7:12 AM

Welcome Dray from one Oklahoman to another.  I am up in Enid - where are you located?  You will love it here - been on here since the beginning and have made so many wonderful friends.  There are great quilters here who will be able to help you 100% and you will not have one opinion but dozens to help you decide what to do... 

Again, very happy you found us!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 6
Points 240
Dray replied on Fri, Oct 26 2012 7:59 AM

Hi Thea,

I am from Idabel, OK located on the very southeastern tip of your map. My home is actually in the Haworth School District. It covers about 200 sq. miles and touches Arkansas and Texas. You may be familiar with Beaver's Bend which is a huge lake and park in our area.

Down here we laughingly say that most of Oklahoma doesn't know we're here and think that SE Oklahoma stops at McAlester. . . which is about 2 or so hours further into OK than we are.

Although isolated it is a very beautiful area. Tourism is beginning to be part of the local economy now that the folks living in Texas has discovered us.

I am glad to meet you and am looking forward to the experience here in the forums.

Dray

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 6
Points 240
Dray replied on Fri, Oct 26 2012 8:00 AM

Thanks for the welcome, everyone! I am looking forward to this. :)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,650
Points 135,977
Leslie replied on Fri, Oct 26 2012 8:03 AM

Hi Dray, welcome

[Ava, Missouri

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,280
Points 173,403
Marie replied on Fri, Oct 26 2012 8:16 AM

Welcome Dray, you're going to love it here.  Great group, who will be there for you ever step of the way.  Enjoy!

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Fri, Oct 26 2012 8:59 AM

Dray welcome to the club, I'm in Missouri and visit  with Thea when ever I can . You're gonna love this site , and if you want to learn this is a great place to do so .  Please feel free to ask for any help that you need ,someone here will have an answer for you .  Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Hi Dray and welcome to QCA. I use to sew clothing and then started quilting and there is a learning curve, but it is well worth the effort spent. I learn something new every day and I love that. Hang in there and enjoy the process, it will get better but it never gets boring!!!

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,406
Points 19,540

Hi Dray, Welcome to the group. You will love it here. People here are so generous with their help and input. Even if we don't know the answer, we can direct you. I've also gotten a lot of direction to very helpful web sites. Again, welcome!

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,765
Nana replied on Fri, Oct 26 2012 11:46 AM

Dray

Welcome to the site.  I hope you enjoy your time with us.   Anytime you have questions just ask.   There is always someone to help.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,358
Points 414,929
gini replied on Fri, Oct 26 2012 12:07 PM

hi dray, welcome to the group

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,583
Points 75,695
Karla replied on Sun, Oct 28 2012 4:42 PM

Welcome Dray.  My husband's family is from Oklahoma, near Wilson.  Is that anywhere near you?  I know that it is in southern Oklahoma, I just can't remember how far east it is.  I've been back there to visit a few times, but didn't really get to see much as his family was huge and spent most our time with them.  Anyway, I think you will really like it here on this site.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Sun, Oct 28 2012 9:29 PM

Hi Dray, from another retired school teacher!  

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use