Top 10 Posters

East Coast Storm and the Sandy Quilt Project

Page 13 of 22 (316 items) « First ... < Previous 11 12 13 14 15 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 315 Replies | 20 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,354
Points 31,930

THANK YOU! Barbara!   You will get lots of practice quilting tops!

Max

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,821
Points 85,145
Sukochi replied on Wed, Nov 7 2012 4:34 PM

I have been reading about donating quilts after some disaster or other. Seems most quilts donated end up in thrift shores being soldfor very little money and never make it to those in need. How can people be that ignorant?. Problem is, one never knows where, or to whom, they go after you mail a quilt to a "group doing a good deed". They just turn around and send them to some listed donation location without knowing for sure, what this place is or who is even in charge. But, if a ton of people showed up to give out donated quilts, the powers that be would run them off. So, I would only donate to the Red Cross. At least that way, you know they would reach the correct destination.

Sukochi

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 65,998
Jeanine replied on Wed, Nov 7 2012 9:46 PM

LaJuan Sukochi Lee:

I have been reading about donating quilts after some disaster or other. Seems most quilts donated end up in thrift shores being soldfor very little money and never make it to those in need. How can people be that ignorant?. Problem is, one never knows where, or to whom, they go after you mail a quilt to a "group doing a good deed". They just turn around and send them to some listed donation location without knowing for sure, what this place is or who is even in charge. But, if a ton of people showed up to give out donated quilts, the powers that be would run them off. So, I would only donate to the Red Cross. At least that way, you know they would reach the correct destination.

I understand your concern.  However, I am of the believe that the giving of quilts is much bigger than the quilts or the destination.  I have been running a charity quilt group since 1998 and I have no idea where most of the quilts I give end up.  I feel like making and giving quilts is one of my God-given purposes and I trust God to use me as he sees fit in the delivery of the quilts.  It starts by giving people a reason to quilt that will comfort those in need.  Giving to others turns the attention from a self-centered nature to a other-centered goal.  If this was all the quilts did, that would be enough.  Then there are those around us who see our dedication and committment to helping others and that inspires them to find ways to help.  In the making of the quilts, people are pulled together and friendships are formed.  There is a sense of community because we share the same goal.   The quilts are delivered.  Some people may not "get it".  Some people may not appreciate it.  But This is not my job to be sure the recipient appreciates the quilt...every time.  I have received enough thank you's from people to know that sometimes the quilts do make the difference in their situation.  It is our job to love.  The rest is up to God and I leave it in his hands.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,412
Points 62,115
Bonita replied on Wed, Nov 7 2012 9:51 PM

Amen Jeannine.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,760
Points 247,454
Barbara replied on Wed, Nov 7 2012 9:56 PM

Jeanine,well said , I agree with you whole heartly .Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,354
Points 31,930

Well said, Jeanine.  Thank you.

Max

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,057
Points 13,695
Carey replied on Wed, Nov 7 2012 10:07 PM

Thanks all. Me my boyfriend and our three pets are fine during and after the storm and the snow so far. The only thing is we lost cable for over a week but were one of the lucky few who still had electricity through it all. I  feel for everyone who lost their homes and belongings though. There are a lot of people who could probably use blankets and quilts in our local area and I would be willing to organize them and see if I could find the information to provide them to the people who are in need of them. I am thinking of going to the local channel for news as they had a website advertised the other day now only if I could remember which one it was.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 65,998
Jeanine replied on Wed, Nov 7 2012 10:14 PM

http://www.equilter.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/quiltrelief.html?sid=31U9Hz2zEHcj9cn-39112095469.58

has information on the quilt relief drive run by Mission of Love through eQuilter.com.  The quilting gallery is also organizing a block drive that will be made into quilts to be given to this effort as well.  I am sure they would be very willing to accept any "on site" help you could give them!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 65,998
Jeanine replied on Wed, Nov 7 2012 10:17 PM

Here is an exerpt from their latest blog:

You can find FREE PATTERNS for this project at:

eQuilter Pattern Page -
http://www.equilter.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/st_patmain.html

Timeless Treasures Pattern page - http://www.ttfabrics.net/patterns/

You can drop off the quilts IN PERSON ONLY during business hours Monday
through Friday (7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.) at eQuilter in Boulder Colorado,

OR

you can ship the quilts DIRECTLY to Timeless Treasures' Warehouse at:

Timeless Treasures Fabrics
161 East 11th Avenue
Roselle, NJ 07203

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,649
Points 135,942

As I told earlier about my sil going to the east coast to help,  He didn't want to go and leave my DD and DGS alone but he went any way.  He spends most of his time sitting in parking lots, because the unions there are having a fit and won't let them in to help and there have been some instances where they have had eggs thrown at them,  this is a sad world when you leave your home to try to do a good deed and help your fellow man, and get treated in this way  This is just my opinion

[Ava, Missouri

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,385
Points 119,276
Patti replied on Thu, Nov 8 2012 8:10 AM

Leslie, that is terrible.   To assault someone trying to help is criminal.  The egg throwers should be charged. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,760
Points 247,454
Barbara replied on Thu, Nov 8 2012 8:19 AM

Leslie I"m sorry to hear about the Unions guys doing this .My late hubby was a Member of the IBEW  and he told me some horror stories about this kind of thing.  It really is sad .

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Not Ranked
Posts 50
Points 894

Leslie, I'm sorry this happened, too.  Yesterday  I saw about 30 power company trucks lined up in a parking lot, flanked by about 10 pickup trucks from the same company.  At first I thought maybe they were taking a break for lunch, but as I drove past (and got honked and wolf whistled at, thank you SO much for that...sigh), I realized they were all just sitting there.  Maybe they were waiting for the head guy to delegate them to their destination, maybe they were just coming off a break, I don't know, but it looked  like they were just sitting...

A LOT of people are still out of power here, and, while I didn't want it to go out again here, I was really sad to see Athena shift all it's snow and wind to an area least able to handle it, the Jersey Shore. Evidently the storm shifted and dumped all its worst to the eastern side of the state.  The devastation there is unimaginable.  A woman at the bank told me  her parents live here and both need medical care (her dad needs oxygen and her mom has diabetes and needs medication for that AND arthritis). When she inquired as to when they could expect the power to go back on, as they have medical needs, she was told, 'if it gets really bad, send them to the ER'. "IF" it gets bad?  That implies it isn't bad yet.

Believe me, it's bad.

blondie

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,760
Points 247,454
Barbara replied on Thu, Nov 8 2012 9:11 AM

Blondie, that line of trucks sounds like Union workers. They don't do any work until they are assinged a job .or until supervisors show up .. but when they do ,they do goiod work . its a brotherhhod thing. They do not tolerate any non union workers doing jobs at all . Sometimes it is really sad . 

I hope your parents will be ok . Sounds like y'all are getting it again but with snow this time. 

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Not Ranked
Posts 50
Points 894

Barbara, it's not my parents who are in need.  But thank you anyway!

I'm familiar with unions....they might've been out-of-state, too, and not sure where to go yet.  It looked as though they'd been dispatched from somewhere else.

blondie

Page 13 of 22 (316 items) « First ... < Previous 11 12 13 14 15 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use