Top 10 Posters

East Coast Storm and the Sandy Quilt Project

Page 11 of 22 (316 items) « First ... < Previous 9 10 11 12 13 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 315 Replies | 20 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,849
Points 85,825
Sukochi replied on Sun, Nov 4 2012 6:12 PM

!s2116, I would contact the police dept., Red Cross or a church. I would think any of them would be happy to direct you.  What a wonderful thing to do. I must see if I can come up with something. I am sure in my "just need quilting" pile, I have something I could machine quilt.  Though I have never done it before. But can always stitch in the ditch.

Let me know who you contact and what you fnd out.  I will friend you. Or, share it with everyone, maybe we could make a tiny difference.

My neighbor grew up in Jersey. I will check with her, too.

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,358
Points 28,605

Marsha-SM:
We have a step granddaughter in that area and haven't heard how she is doing as we have no way to contact her.  Haven't heard from daughter in PA (her step-mom) to hear how she is doing.

Just heard from my daughter inTowanda, PA today - Her family is all OK.  The Her granddaughter (our step GREATgranddaughter) is fine.  She lives near the Jersey Shore area and came through the storm OK.  Our Grandson in Philadelphia is also fine.  He said the whole city was shut down the same as NYC.  Knowing him, he is probably helping in the recovery when possible while going to college.  He is still part of the National Guard while he is in school.  Our daughter said she has never heard such winds!  They sounded like the freight trains they warn you about when a tornado is around.  They lost electric for 3 hours but lost their phone for nearly a week so noone could contact her.  Her son couldn't figure out why she was on the phone all the time (she is a chatterbox and talked for 2 hours today).  Her phone line was down so her internet was also down.  He is her internet guru and site manager so he knew something was wrong when he couldn't contact her through her computer site.  She finally has service again.  Our grandson who is stationed in Germany is coming to her house tomorrow for a week.  They also need to visit her family in Georgia before they have to return on the 15th.  We will finally get to see our great-grandson who turned 1 this week.  We have seen him on Skype twice only.  It is good they didn't try to fly last week!

We are so thankful that there weren't more casualties in this storm.  We got snow this morning and were told the other day that would finally wipe out the last of Sandy which has been hanging over the lakes.  Now if the Nor'easter just fizzles, maybe everyone can get on with rebuilding their lives.

Marsha - Western New York

Not Ranked
Posts 50
Points 894

i agree with sukochi~i'd contact someone official if you want to send anything in this direction.

we sustained no damage personally (part of my apple tree snapped off, but thankfully, it was in the other direction), but my son's gf's father moved 4 vehicles out of the way at their house...my son's vehicle was spared as a result, but his gf's car, her sister's and mother's car AND the house all got hit by trees. it took 3 days of 10 men w/chainsaws before he could even leave. it was pretty bad.

the schools here have gone back, but alot of the kids still don't have power at their houses; gov. christie mandated halloween be moved to today (nov 5) but we got a message from the school system here that 2 of the 4 sending districts will be celebrating nov 10 instead...now i'm not sure if we'll get trick or treaters today, the 10th, or both. or none at all. it could go either way~people who have devastating circumstances might not want or be able to "celebrate"...or, they might want to preserve whatever normalcy they can for their kids...i have no idea.

it's still pretty weird around here, especially since everyone is waiting for the other shoe to drop...the forecast for the coming nor'easter is getting worse...what started out as a prediction of rain and wind has now been elevated to 'wintry mix'.

it was very cold here last night, and i cannot imagine if sandy had hit this week rather than last...that means all those without power are freezing...and not  even able to sleep! if at least one person doesn't stay awake, looting takes place. i cannot in my wildest imagination understand why ANYONE would elect to be so audacious as to think of this situation as an "opportunity".

sigh.

blondie

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,542
Points 177,608
Marie replied on Mon, Nov 5 2012 7:40 AM

Marsha, so happy to hear your family on the E coast are well.  Prayers that this next expected storm keeps them and all other E coasters safe.  ENOUGH!

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,832
Points 40,015
ls2116 replied on Mon, Nov 5 2012 9:15 AM

I can't beleive it I've contacted about 5 places in area and they all say their taking money donations and no durable goods.  I'm going to look on line for churches in area of storm. I keep seeing cold people and I just want to warm them with a quilt.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,832
Points 40,015
ls2116 replied on Mon, Nov 5 2012 9:15 AM

meant to say my area.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,849
Points 85,825
Sukochi replied on Mon, Nov 5 2012 9:21 AM

Is2116, I don't know where you live in NJ, but, they are accepting " blankets" in Monmouth County.

Sukochi

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 66,013
Jeanine replied on Mon, Nov 5 2012 9:33 AM

eQuilter is organizing a quilt drive for Hurricane Sandy and is trying to get 5000 quilts.  They are just now trying to reach their contacts on the East coast but as you can imagine they are still dealing with the trauma.  We can begin to make the quilts, though, as they work through the details of the drive.

http://www.equilter.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/quiltrelief.html

• | Post Points: 65
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,849
Points 85,825
Sukochi replied on Mon, Nov 5 2012 9:43 AM

I know every Guild I know of is having a quilt drive.  There can not be enough made. There a millions of people out there in need of warmth.

Sukochi

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,561
Points 246,192
Thea replied on Mon, Nov 5 2012 9:48 AM

Thank you for the link Jeanine.  I am pasting it into my bookmarks and hopefully can get a quilt done for this - I can always make tops but getting it quilted is usually my problem.  I am not the greatest yet and would hate to send something that wasn't great for someone outside my family to use.  I have tons of material though and am thinking a quick 9 patch quilt could be done easily.  I look forward to the rest of the instructions but in the meantime will start one... if nothing else i can quilt in the ditch or the 1/4" quilting lines... Just need now to know where to send it so will be watching this closely.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 66,013
Jeanine replied on Mon, Nov 5 2012 5:38 PM

Thea:

Thank you for the link Jeanine.  I am pasting it into my bookmarks and hopefully can get a quilt done for this - I can always make tops but getting it quilted is usually my problem.  I am not the greatest yet and would hate to send something that wasn't great for someone outside my family to use.  I have tons of material though and am thinking a quick 9 patch quilt could be done easily.  I look forward to the rest of the instructions but in the meantime will start one... if nothing else i can quilt in the ditch or the 1/4" quilting lines... Just need now to know where to send it so will be watching this closely.

Great, Thea.  The thing I like about this effort is the organization of it.  They have a wide reach of quilters and contacts in the storm-damaged areas.  And they have a history of doing this type of campaign.  I was thinking of making some string quilts or flannel rag (then you don't have to quilt them).  That way I can get several in my group making blocks.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,832
Points 40,015
ls2116 replied on Mon, Nov 5 2012 7:46 PM

Thanks Jeanine! I want to put this in favorites cuz I couldn't come up with anything.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,849
Points 85,825
Sukochi replied on Mon, Nov 5 2012 8:13 PM

Y'all remember that Quilted Hugs From Maddie are collecting finished quilts, as well. See Nan post in What Dre You Doing Today forum. You can contact QHFM  by mail at: QHFM, P. O. Box 2461, Cleveland, TN 37320.  They will be distributed to children agas 2 -11, I think, she said. Check it out. These poeple need warm quilts, desparately.

Sukochi

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 73
Points 740

Barbara, I think the Lord answered those prayers because we did not lose power in our shelter!  These days in Massachusetts we have about 2000 spaces in motels that are designated available for the homeless families.  Yesterday there were over 1900 of those filled.  Guess I'm saying:  we still need prayer.  With the frosty weather closing in those quilts mentioned in this thread will be VERY welcome.  Thanks to all those who contribute in any way from socks to beds to warm hellos.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Tue, Nov 6 2012 10:19 AM

Jeanine ,thanks for the link I'm going to see what I have thath I can send ,this is great . Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Page 11 of 22 (316 items) « First ... < Previous 9 10 11 12 13 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use