Top 10 Posters

East Coast Storm and the Sandy Quilt Project

Page 10 of 22 (316 items) « First ... < Previous 8 9 10 11 12 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 315 Replies | 20 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,504
Points 50,725
Ginny replied on Tue, Oct 30 2012 12:40 PM

Great to hear that you are safe and sound,  Marie.  I thought you might get more than what you did.  You came out smelling like a rose.   Ginny

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,327
Points 27,970
Marsha-SM replied on Tue, Oct 30 2012 4:19 PM

Marie, you are so fortunate to just get leaves along with your winds and rain.  You were so close to the coast that I wondered how you fared.  We only had our lights flash once - a miracle around here.  Usually high winds drop limbs and wires every time they hit.  We lost power a few weeks ago, so expected to again.  What really helped WNY is that the storm moved so fast and shifted a little more south than predicted - PA got what we were to get.  The winds blew all night and we got over 2" of rain, but since we had been so dry here, the water had some place to go.  We have had rain for nearly a week so far, one of the storms that combined with Sandy, so the soil was softened up enough to allow some to soak in.  Of course, we live at the bottom of a hill that goes up over 2 miles.  The water was roaring down the very deep road ditch across from our house during the night and we were trying to sleep to the thunk of rolling and crashing rocks all night. At least it didn't wash out MIL's driveway!  We fixed the sump pump in her cellar last night - hose had split at the end and popped off so was swirling water around instead of removing it.  Same thing this morning, so we had to buy a new hose.  It is still raining here and getting darker.  Weather map shows more heavy rain swirling out of PA heading our way - from the South East instead of the usual South West! (Also a little PINK - snow or freezing rain) 

Only one farm had cattle to move to the sale today, so we didn't travel as much as usual.  When we got to the sale barn, they had only about a dozen cows and not many more calves.  Usually they have hundreds of calves and nearly 100 cows.  We saw many flooded fields and wide streams where we didn't know there were any.  The water was getting close to some highways and if this rain keeps up, some more flooding may occur.

Haven't heard from daughter in Towanda, PA or grandson in Philadelphia yet.  Grandson is attending Drexler Univ. thanks to the Army.  He is the one who was in Iraq twice.

Hope everyone in the devastated area is safe and dry.  We feel we dodged a bullet.

Marsha - Western New York

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,275
Points 173,333
Marie replied on Tue, Oct 30 2012 5:51 PM

Ginny:

Great to hear that you are safe and sound,  Marie.  I thought you might get more than what you did.  You came out smelling like a rose.   Ginny

I certainly did and thank you.  This is actually the first time I didn't lose electricity in high winds, I was in shock and still am.

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,250
Points 239,917
Thea replied on Wed, Oct 31 2012 7:22 AM

Marsha and Marie, So happy that all are safe in your areas and that you weathered the storm without any major incidents - I am still waiting to hear from family in Delaware and southern PA.  Hoping all survived without anything major happening in their lives.  

This storm brought back many memories that had long been buried - I imagine it is like that for all that have lived through storms like this.  I do know for those that are going through it now that they will make it and come out on the other side - some much better then they were when this started.  We Americans are a resilient and tough people.  

My thoughts and prayers are with all who are in any need on the east coast.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,847
Points 85,755
Sukochi replied on Wed, Oct 31 2012 8:30 AM

My cousin reports, from Alexandria, VA, that all is well there. They have no damage at the house, which is 5 mins. from Mt. Vernon, and were only without power for 6 hours. Amazing. Praise God.  No report on neice in Brooklyn yet.

I am so thankful for all who are fine and have no property damage. I pray for the familes and the souls of the 55 who have be counted in the death toll to this point. My God help those and give strength as the clean ups begin. It will be an heroic effort. There is devastation everywhere.

Just a note. If the power reamins out, and the State chooses (as it is up to the individaul states to decide when voting will take place), to not allow hand cast ballots next Tues, it COULD be up til Dec. 17th before we know the outcome of the election. Our D.A. told me, last night, that in this case, only the Electors (Electorial College) will  vote. So, there ya go. We really DO have no say in who is elected for President.

Sukochi

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,275
Points 173,333
Marie replied on Wed, Oct 31 2012 11:05 AM

Thea:
My thoughts and prayers are with all who are in any need on the east coast

Ditto to the above and thanks Thea.

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 56
Points 680
Tina replied on Wed, Oct 31 2012 1:11 PM

Same goes here!  We were lucky and didn't get hit too hard by Sandy.  Not so much for my friends on the CT coastline.  :-(

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,664
Points 37,560
ls2116 replied on Wed, Oct 31 2012 3:34 PM

My sister by Toledo lost her power for a day but shes back on .  I'm just really hoping We don't get snow in Mi.  I haven't finished fall clean up.

Quilting My Rainbow

Not Ranked
Posts 50
Points 894

Thank you to all who kept the east coast (and everyone else involved) in their thoughts and prayers; I really believe in universal prayer;  please don't stop, as many are nowhere NEAR out of the woods yet.

Our beloved Jersey shore has been almost completely obliterated. If you happen to see Governor Christie on at all, he mirrors the sentiment of most of us here...we've lost a part of our childhoods, but I've every confidence the resolve and resilience of the Jersey people will allow us to rebuild it bigger and better than before.  You can say what you want about us (and believe me, we've heard it all), but when it comes right down to it, we're a pretty nice group.  I've never seen such a level of assistance and compassion as I have these last 5 days. 

I am happy the power is on in my area, but I can't get  the pictures of devastation out of my head. Because of that, I am going in to my studio to assess what I have that can turn into something useful for those most in need....that nor'easter that's on it's way here (by Wednesday) looms large.  That's a concern, to be sure...

blondie

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,847
Points 85,755
Sukochi replied on Sat, Nov 3 2012 5:13 PM

h202blonde, I am heartbroken about New Jersey's shore. I have never been there, but, to have generations of folks lose so much is just too sad to take in. We are praying for everyone there. i don't know if things along the shore can even ever be put back like it was. But, I doubt it. You and all in your state have my deepest sympathy.

Keep your head up, girl. you have your life. Perhap's God has a plan for you to help with all the loss in a quilty way. Ask him for His devine guidance. I am certain that there a so many who need a warm quilt to cover them. And, little kids who would love a warm cozy night under a quilt. Perhaps, you and your quilty friends could make that your gift to the NJ neighborhood you live in,

How is the condition of your house? Did you suffer damage at all? You you and your family ALL OK?

Sukochi

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,327
Points 27,970

h202blonde:
Our beloved Jersey shore has been almost completely obliterated. If you happen to see Governor Christie on at all, he mirrors the sentiment of most of us here...we've lost a part of our childhoods, but I've every confidence the resolve and resilience of the Jersey people will allow us to rebuild it bigger and better than before.

It is so  disturbing to see the damage.  I am sure everyone there will rebuild better as you state. It must be sad for you to see childhood memories disappear like that.   We have a step granddaughter in that area and haven't heard how she is doing as we have no way to contact her.  Haven't heard from daughter in PA (her step-mom) to hear how she is doing.  Happy to hear you have your power so that you can help others.  We are being warned here about that nor'easter as well as they feel it will take the same track as the hurricane.  Hope it fizzles out - you sure don't need any more weather problems.  Yesterday we were told that the cold few days we are having will break up the remainder of Sandy that has hung over the Great Lakes since the storm.  It is sure cold - snow flurries all day wherever we have been traveling with the cattle trailer.  The rain has finally stopped - - - would be inches of snow if it had continued. 

Marsha - Western New York

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,250
Points 239,917
Thea replied on Sat, Nov 3 2012 5:58 PM

Marsha, the sooner Sandy is a distant memory the better.  I do remember living through many a blizzard but didn't lose my home - saw the damage after Hurricane Hugo - lived through that - so many of our friends losing everything... I know how these people feel - it is the worst feeling when it first happens but we are a resilient people and they will rebuild - they are all going through those 7 stages of grief right now - and the sooner help gets to those that truly need it the better.  amazing how the help seems to get to those that don't really need it... but then... 

I am sending many prayers there way and thoughts for a speedy recovery.  At least they had a warning that this was going to be a bad storm although afterwards that just helps a little to know that.  Wish I was closer so that I could do more then have wonderful thoughts and prayers for them...

After hurricane hugo we had a big party in our area - we all cooked up our freezers full as we knew it would spoil if we didn't - that was the hardest thing - that and fresh water... amazing how the one thing we really don't pay that much attention to till it isn't there... one of the reasons you will find over 100 gallon jugs of water in my house now... a result of hurricane hugo.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,395
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Sun, Nov 4 2012 10:03 AM

Sometimes snow is a good thing.   One year our pump went out in winter, and couldn't get to it for a few weeks.  Always kept a big pot of melting snow on the wood stove. 

Can't imagine starting over with nothing, everything gone.  And I feel so sorry for those without flood insurance.   Not something one in a city would usually be concerned about.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,784
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Sun, Nov 4 2012 4:48 PM

My prayers have been with those affected by "SANDY".

I think of the people who left their homes England, Europe and Ireland, most crossed the ocean with little more than they could carry on their backs.  Moved into a strange and unforgiving land just to have FREEDOM.  They survived and are our forefathers. the quakes in Japan and the Tsunami, the quakes in Peru, Alaska, it always seems the greater the disaster, the harder they work to overcome. 

I thank the Lord that the Loss of life was as little as it is, I Thank Him also for all His Blessings.  I pray He will continue to give all of us the strength we need to get through this tragedy.  The strength and desire to rebuild, both their lives and property. 

My thoughts and prayers are with all those who have lost so much.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,664
Points 37,560
ls2116 replied on Sun, Nov 4 2012 5:13 PM

I thought about doing something like sending a couple quilts through post office and addressing to huricane sandy victims like a child sending letters to north pole.  I just really want them to get to the people and not thrown in a pile at s. army to be back out in their retail store .  Maybe I should contact a church? Whats your idea?

Quilting My Rainbow

Page 10 of 22 (316 items) « First ... < Previous 8 9 10 11 12 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use