Top 10 Posters

East Coast Storm and the Sandy Quilt Project

Page 7 of 22 (316 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 315 Replies | 20 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,497
Points 30,470
Diana replied on Mon, Oct 29 2012 5:24 AM

Huggs to all those on the east coast.  Stay safe from this one.  It looks like a bad one.  There is some snow on the tops of the Smokies.  They are saying now possibly up to a foot of the white stuff.  Nothing down here in the valley.  We're going to get a bid of wind but that's it.  We're in a pretty safe place with mtns. to the north and east of us and the plateau to the west.   They kind of protect us a bit. 

Diana in East Tn.   

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 50
Points 894

holy cats, it's BLOWING out there..and colder than expected, but still no rain (yet). i just keep picturing taking the dog out and having the leash (and the dog) parallel to the ground.

blondie

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 50
Points 894

gini, i have been woefully absent, but you all have been on my mind!

blondie

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,326
Points 27,965
Marsha-SM replied on Mon, Oct 29 2012 8:01 AM

h202blonde:

holy cats, it's BLOWING out there..and colder than expected, but still no rain (yet). i just keep picturing taking the dog out and having the leash (and the dog) parallel to the ground.

Blondie, I can't imagine having to take a dog out in this storm.  Take care when you go out - maybe a leash for you tied to the house???  I cannot believe this storm.  Buffalo predicts SUSTAINED winds of 50 mph - I expect we will be littered with trees everywhere.  We are about 60 miles east of Buffalo in the boonies, so expect our chainsaws will be busy.  Even gusts over 40 drop tree limbs around here and they are predicting sustained over 50.  Can't imagine what you are and will experience.  They say we should expect loss of electric tonight. 

First job of the day is attach a flashlight to MIL's walker - Brother-in-law said she needed headlights - He is the family jokester! We have her caretaker lined up to spend the nights with her if/when electric goes.  She is very independent and usually stays alone at night, but this storm scares her.  She is nearly 99. It is a challenge for us to prepare 2 houses for no electric (no electric, no water).  We have a barrel filled with water outside the door for flushing, etc and still need to get one set up for her.  Her caretaker should be able to get drinking water in pitchers for her today.  We will be in the truck all day, so have run out of time to prepare.

It looks like you are the target for the storm so the predicted path is where the storm should go - and with a 1500 mile storm width, everyone in the Central and North East are in it's path.  They expect effects to reach the Mississippi River. Don't take any chances until the winds die down. 

Marsha - Western New York

Not Ranked
Posts 50
Points 894

hi marsha! we're not under water yet.

i actually have 3 dogs. believe it or not, the male (85 lbs) would likely be the most scared and would ditch us in a heartbeat...the females (short legs, no necks, think wrestlers lol) would plant those feet and refuse to go. we do have a leash attached to the picnic table out back and we could hook them from the deck, but past experience has shown us all they do is go on the deck instead (nice). maybe they're afraid if the go off the deck, they AND the table will just careen down the delaware! LOL.

i think i may have just cooked the last "real" breakfast we'll have til after sandy has blasted her way thru...

re needing a flashlight~i gave my grandfather one of those flashlights you wear on your head, as he always needed both hands for whatever he was working on. those would be perfect for someone needing to use a walker. no trying to hold something and maneuver at the same time.

i'm hoping everyone is safe. the weather channel is enough to scare the wits out of you. and unfortunately, i don't think they're exaggerating. governor christie just came on saying, 'don't be stupid. get OUT'.

gotta love the garden state. lol.

blondie

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Mon, Oct 29 2012 8:32 AM

Hi all East Coasters We are all watching how things are going for you . We are all keeping you in our Thoughts and prayers.  Please let us all know if you will need anything when this is over .  Take care all of you . And mostly stay Safe. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,750
Nana replied on Mon, Oct 29 2012 8:42 AM

Sorry I didn't get on over the weekend.  Weekends are always a little hectic here....mostly trying to find something for DH to do so that he stays out of my hair...LOL>    We are getting some rain and about 25 mph winds right now.  It is really chilly out and they are saying that tomorrow will be even colder.  I really don't expect alot of problems in this area unless the wind picks up more.   Sometimes it is nice to have mountains all around you.

Everyone in Sandy's path please stay safe.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,273
Points 173,308
Marie replied on Mon, Oct 29 2012 8:53 AM

Thanks for all the prayers and good wishes y'all.  I just back from the post office, 9 am, I mailed my squishy to Barbara.  School was cancelled yesterday for today because the brunt of Sandy should be hitting our area around 2 pm, which is the time our kiddos should be getting out of school.  They're predicting about 2.5" of rain and very high winds for my immediate area which is about 45 minutes west of Boston.  Now the coastline is another story, they'll be hit the hardest.  The Governor is strongly advising evacuation before noon today, high tide, for those communities.  All they could do is heed this warning and all we could do is pray that everyone stays safe.  If you don't hear from this Millbury-ite, it's because the power is down and I expect that will happen since it has in lesser storms.  Stay safe my friends and a nice big warm fuzzy hug to all my QVC family.  {{{{{HUGS}}}}}

Millbury, MA

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,326
Points 27,965
Marsha-SM replied on Mon, Oct 29 2012 8:56 AM

h202blonde:

re needing a flashlight~i gave my grandfather one of those flashlights you wear on your head, as he always needed both hands for whatever he was working on. those would be perfect for someone needing to use a walker. no trying to hold something and maneuver at the same time.

I have one of those headlamps.  Got the idea from the Amish.  All Amish men and some of the women use them at night.  The first time I saw one in the distance, I couldn't figure out how a flashlight could be held so  high.  As soon as I saw it, I went to Walmart and bought one.  I am the repairman of everything and can't hold flashlights and tools at the same time.  Rich has the habit of holding the light on my hands instead of what I am fixing.  As for using one for her, she would never be able to even put it on.  She has dementia that is getting steadily worst and when she is excited, she loses it!  I am taking a 6 volt lantern flashlight and attaching it to her walker - she has a good wheeled one with brakes.  The switch on top is easy for her to push and not too confusing for her.  My headlamp has 3 light settings and is a stiff switch.  It works fine for me but she could never figure it out.  Her caretaker will have to bring her own flashlights.  I will be helping in the truck for our second load of cattle - everyone seems to have calves and cows to sell today - so will be away probably until dark.  I have lots of hand quilting to keep me busy both in the truck and during outages.  Finished quilting a third quilt last night, got the binding on, and all three are ready for the hand work.  Headlamp work!!!

Thank you so much for your suggestion.  Wish her mind was good enough to handle the headlamp.  It would relieve our minds if she had a light attached to her - but she couldn't figure out how to turn it on.  If she has done it in the distant past, she is able to figure it out - - - sometimes - - - but forget anything new - she gets to confused and anxious!

As for the dogs, I would tie a rope to the deck and attach the leash - one at a time - to the rope.  Maybe block off the deck so "accidents" can't happen.  I think some dogs think they are cats so don't like to get their feet wet (unless there is a clean floor around!)  I thought about the table floating away also! 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Mon, Oct 29 2012 8:57 AM

Maire , thanks for letting me know  You get in now and stay safe yourself.  Have some good books to read ?  good time to get them in.   Will keep an eye on all of you thru the TV.  (((((((HUGS))))) to you and know you are in out T&Ps.. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,326
Points 27,965
Marsha-SM replied on Mon, Oct 29 2012 9:17 AM

Marie:

Thanks for all the prayers and good wishes y'all.  I just back from the post office, 9 am, I mailed my squishy to Barbara.  School was cancelled yesterday for today because the brunt of Sandy should be hitting our area around 2 pm, which is the time our kiddos should be getting out of school.  They're predicting about 2.5" of rain and very high winds for my immediate area which is about 45 minutes west of Boston.  Now the coastline is another story, they'll be hit the hardest.  The Governor is strongly advising evacuation before noon today, high tide, for those communities.  All they could do is heed this warning and all we could do is pray that everyone stays safe.  If you don't hear from this Millbury-ite, it's because the power is down and I expect that will happen since it has in lesser storms.  Stay safe my friends and a nice big warm fuzzy hug to all my QVC family.  {{{{{HUGS}}}}}

Take care, Marie.  I just heard on the Today show about the hurricane of 1938.  That has meaning for my family - my parents were married in Cambridge, MA, on Sept 23, 1938 during the hurricane!  No hurricane was going to stop that wedding!  Their marriage was a good one until my mother died of cancer in 1976.  My dad never remarried and finally moved out here to the farm after he got tired of everyone in the city trying to match him up with a "good woman".  He lived out here the last 16 years of his life - built a house on a piece of land we gave him and spent his last 1 /12 years in our house.  Our youngest son lives in that house now.

Good luck with the storm - you know the drill - you have been there before.  So have we, but not as often.  The last time was with 5 children, the youngest 9 months, in 1972 - that was more of a challenge.  I don't remember how long we were out of electric, but most bridges were washed out so that we had to take a 40 mile "detour" to get to town which was 4 miles away by the local bridge. Now our only "child" is nearly 99 yrs old!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,424
Points 40,385
Mimi replied on Mon, Oct 29 2012 9:18 AM

Nana:
Everyone in Sandy's path please stay safe.

Thanks Nana.  Saw on the Weather Channel that your area might get some snow from Sandy?  Or is that just in the higher elevations like Diana was saying?  DH is off to work.  Hope he can come home early.  If not, I'm ready.  Flashlights, generator, water, food, bindings to attach, packing and getting ready for my substitute on Thursday and Friday.  Although if the wind and rain and cold keep up they way they say it's going to, I'm not sure when school will resume.  Going to contact my sub now via email.  Prayers for all the East Coast quilters, families and friends. Keep safe.

Not Ranked
Posts 50
Points 894

i'm so sorry the headlamp won't work for her, but it sounds like you've got a much better plan!

i was kidding (at least i hope i was) about the table taking off...it's a BEAST.  so heavy. the last owner made it himself and left it here (probably because he couldn't bear the thought of transporting it!). it'll stay put.

i think my dogs think they're divas (including the male....) they don't like wet feet. sigh.

blondie

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,330
Points 36,660
Linda replied on Mon, Oct 29 2012 11:07 AM

God be with all of you on the East Coast. We here in NE Ohio are suppose to get those rains on Wednesday. We have been raining since yesterday already and for the next 10 days. We are also at the same time getting a nor'eastern across Lake Erie. Power outages expected. Keep some of those power trucks here to help us please. One year all the power trucks were sent out to help  everyone else and no one to help us. We were weeks without power. My health depends on power. Pray the weather doesn't get  as bad as predicted.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,664
Points 37,560
ls2116 replied on Mon, Oct 29 2012 1:05 PM

I'm praying for everyone (that includes the animals).  Stay safe.  I'm in Mi.  I haven't heard should I expect power outage too?  Let us know if we can help in anyway.

Quilting My Rainbow

Page 7 of 22 (316 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use