Top 10 Posters

East Coast Storm and the Sandy Quilt Project

Page 6 of 22 (316 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 315 Replies | 20 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,923
Points 26,980
Ramona replied on Sun, Oct 28 2012 3:26 PM

Praying that everyone is safe through the upcoming storm. Hope you all have your Hurricane/storm stash and generators with plenty of fuel. Living in Florida for 56 yrs I've been through a lot of hurricanes and they are never anything to take lightly.  This one is going to be a big threat and I'm sure the tornado spin offs will be huge. We were extremely lucky getting through so many without any severe damage.  Besides the most common supplies the one thing that always saved us a lot of grief is having a generator. Hang on and I pray everyone comes through it safe and sound.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,275
Points 26,990
Marsha-SM replied on Sun, Oct 28 2012 5:35 PM

LaJuan Sukochi Lee:

Marsha, is there no way y'all could watch your MIL and keep her from harms way on the stairs? I fear for her alone, with no light, water or heat, should the power go off. Poor little lady that is scary for her to face, I am sure. I will certianly keep all of you in my prayers.

Sukochi, If it comes to no electricity, we will have her caretaker stay overnight with her.  Rich's sister was here today and they talked over the storm.  She lives nearly 2 hours away and has the same stairs problem as we have.  MIL is so independent that it is hard to keep up with her.  The caretaker lives nearby and should be able to go back and forth between her house and her horses and here.  We have chainsaws and several trucks, so should be able to "carve" a path for her if necessary.  We are all on the same side of the river.  It hasn't flooded badly since the '72 flood, but could be a problem for anyone in town.  We are 4 miles from the river and are "over the river, (over the hill) and through the woods" so should be fine here.  The last flood, we had to go the caretaker's direction to get to another town.  It was a 40 mile trip to get across the river that time instead of 4 because of the flooding.  The other town is just 12 miles and does have a hardware store/lumber company, a pharmacy and a small grocery so we can get the necessities - and no river to flood!

Marsha - Western New York

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,275
Points 26,990
Marsha-SM replied on Sun, Oct 28 2012 5:46 PM

Beth Weigt:

For everyone out East - the calvary is on the way!!  Bill and I spent the last day an a half driving west on I-80 and we saw nothing but CONVOYS of utility trucks, tree cutting companies, power generators and the Red Cross heading East.  Hopefully they won't be needed.

Beth, usually our utility company is part of the convoy headed to the coast.  This time since we are also in the path, they will stay here to tend to our outages.  All farmers and many others have chainsaws, so there will be lots of help - - - but lots of trees also.  This area is used to downed trees and outages due to heavy snow and ice and accompanying winds, so just the amount of rain is a real problem.  The prediction now is for about 10 inches of rain during the hurricane.  We also have a storm from the midwest that has been dropping rain this weekend, not what we need before this storm.  The storm here now is one of the 3 that are making this huge storm system.  The 2 "normal" storms are helping steer the storm inland and will make everything more difficult to predict.  The size of the entire storm system is HUGE!

Marsha - Western New York

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,093
Points 14,135
Dawn replied on Sun, Oct 28 2012 6:00 PM

Praying for all of you on the East Coast!  Please be safe!!!!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 12,933
Points 233,972
Thea replied on Sun, Oct 28 2012 6:12 PM

Marsha-SM:
The storm here now is one of the 3 that are making this huge storm system.
Marsha, my thoughts and prayers are with you and all of the members on the east coast in the path of this storm - hopefully you will not lose your power and will be able to let us know you are okay as the storm goes through - but should you lose it and can't get on line - if you are able to call - I have sent you a PM with my phone # so that you can let me know that you are okay or that you need assistance of any sort.  I do have family that are still in the Hilton / Rochester area and will send them out to you!  So if there is anything please let me know.  

I know you are prepared!  I am going to pray hard all tonight and tomorrow and Tuesday until this storm has passed all the way out of our USA.

Not Ranked
Posts 50
Points 894

Bless your  heart!  blondie here (garden state), battening (is that even a word?) down the hatches ...i was out earlier and saw SO many pallets of water, people in line for medicine (people in general..where are they normally?), everyone just  frantic!

this makes the third vacation in as many years we've had (at least 4 days) loss of power..and this storm promises to be worse..yikes. i can handle the storm, but HATE no electricity.  pioneer girl i am not (although i did make buttermilk bread and homemade soup for dinner!) xo

blondie

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,760
Points 247,454
Barbara replied on Sun, Oct 28 2012 6:22 PM

Ms blondie , take care and stay safe . we are all praying for all of you ..Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Not Ranked
Posts 50
Points 894

thanks so much, barbara! it's a little dicey here, getting windy. all day it looked like december (well, except for the autumn leaves, which i'm guessing will blow out of here fast tomorrow!). but the greyness of the sky looked foreboding, more like snow...some areas are set to get quite a bit of snow.

it's eery when everything shuts down...schools, mass transit, airports. everything comes to a screeching halt. but it's good to see everyone pulling together. despite the mania in the stores, people were generally very helpful.

blondie

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,344
Points 38,960
Mimi replied on Sun, Oct 28 2012 6:54 PM

Well I just got the call.  It's official - no school tomorrow for my district here in the north west suburbs of Philly.  Some districts have already canceled school for Tuesday as well.  Now if I can just remember how to get the generator running if I need to, everything will be great.  Got back from the grocery store and from running errands this evening.  We live near the Northeast extension of the PA turnpike and can usually hear all the trucks rumbling by.  It's eerily quiet tonight except for the wind.  We are such frail creatures..........  If I have power you will hear from me tomorrow. 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,057
Points 170,727
MNnancy replied on Sun, Oct 28 2012 9:13 PM

Good luck, Mimi!  I asked my brother in Boston if he was worried, and he said no.  Maybe he's too far north.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,344
Points 38,960
Mimi replied on Sun, Oct 28 2012 9:36 PM

MNnancy:
 Maybe he's too far north.

Thanks Nancy.  I think he is.  They are saying 60 to 80 mph sustained winds from about 2 pm Monday to about 8 am Tuesday.  Plus lots and lots of rain.   I don't think I've ever experienced something like this.  Well I do get a day off to quilt. : )  I should look on the bright side of this situation.  We are in the strong hands of the our Lord.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,111
Points 410,984
gini replied on Sun, Oct 28 2012 11:17 PM

well hello, blondie, we haven't heard from you in a while.  

everyone on the east coast,  keep safe

gini in north idaho

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,354
Points 31,930
MaxNTopeka replied on Sun, Oct 28 2012 11:59 PM

Mimi, Marsha, Blondie, and all the others in Sandy's path: know that we are thinking of you and saying prayers and sending good thoughts your way. 

Max

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,384
Points 119,271
Patti replied on Mon, Oct 29 2012 12:06 AM

Yes, praying for those on the east side.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,473
Points 47,580
Frances replied on Mon, Oct 29 2012 12:44 AM

I havent noticed Nana on the boards all weekend I pray shes ok and just had a busy weekend and the storm hasnt got to her.

I dont know how far its got yet (thats the trouble with living on the other side of the pond)

Prayers to all, Huge hugs as well.

lots of love

Francesxx

Page 6 of 22 (316 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use