Top 10 Posters

East Coast Storm and the Sandy Quilt Project

Page 5 of 22 (316 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 315 Replies | 20 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,323
Points 27,920
Marsha-SM replied on Sat, Oct 27 2012 11:19 AM

Thea:
They are saying 10" of rain in some places and 4' of snow in the mountains of Virginia
Thea:
I honestly have to say that I am glad right now that I am not back living in NY.

Thea, yesterday they said this storm could affect a 1500 mile wide area once it gets to western NY.  The track last shown heads right at us!  Buffalo predicts at least 1" of rain a day for 5 days when it hits.  In the hurricane in June of 1972 (I think it was Agnes) we had 6" of rain, lost many bridges, and school never finished for the year.  Hope this isn't as bad, but the track is nearly the same and is predicted to be worse.  Hope it doesn't hit the coast and veers off, but - - - - -   Most predictions turn out to be lots worse than the actual storms.  We were told Thursday to expect "Hurricane Snow", but last night only rain was predicted.   Only time will tell!  Your old "haunts" around Elmira area will at least get wet and the rivers will surely rise some.  Our oldest daughter lives in Towanda, PA, just above the Susquehanna River.  When flooding hits, she is isolated from town, but high and dry (as dry as their leaky trailer will allow). 

Everyone in the area of the storm, keep watch, take care, be prepared, but do not get too anxious.  As I said, sometimes these predictions are designed to wake people up so that they are prepared for the worst - - Hurricanes are very unpredictable!!!  - - - and do affect inland at times.

Marsha - Western New York

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,773
Points 247,869
Barbara replied on Sat, Oct 27 2012 1:20 PM

Marsha, Stay safe and our Thoughts and Prayers are with you and yours.. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,494
Points 30,410
Diana replied on Sat, Oct 27 2012 2:51 PM

Hi Gang,   Just got back from selling raffle tickets for 5 hours on a quilt from our quilt guild.    The storm sounds like a bad one. 

Nana - if you need a place....I have an extra bed or two...

Mimi - You'd never make it here if you didn't leave until the afternoon.  It's a good 7-8 hours from my house to Pa. state line on I-81 (Mason-Dixon Line).  And you've got a few extra hours to get there or so.

My door is open if anyone needs a warm dry bed.   Smoky Mtns. will block the worst of the weather.  We're going to get some rain and maybe a little wind but that's it. 

Huggs to all and Stay Safe,  Diana in East Tn.  

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,403
Points 40,070
Mimi replied on Sat, Oct 27 2012 3:02 PM

Diana:
You'd never make it here if you didn't leave until the afternoon.

Diana,  look for a PM.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,843
Points 85,675
Sukochi replied on Sat, Oct 27 2012 5:24 PM

Mimi, good luck with your trip. Travel prayers set up.

What is hurricane snow??? Never heard of a hurricane making snow.

We will have sunny but chilly weather duringt he days and in the low 30 at night. Praise the Lord.

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,773
Points 247,869
Barbara replied on Sat, Oct 27 2012 6:21 PM

Sckochi I would say it the same as Lake effect snow ,but I'm not real sure, When it storming over water it will cause the inland to have snow ,I think that is how it works . but I may be wrong.

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,442
Points 127,554

MNnancy:

The newscasters out here are calling what's heading your way "Frankenstorm" - sounds eerie! 

It is scary...pray that you all stay safe.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Sat, Oct 27 2012 8:33 PM

Thea:
I honestly have to say that I am glad right now that I am not back living in NY.  This storm sounds like some of the ones I lived through as a child - the ones that drove my parents nuts with the amount of snow that dropped down on them and gave fun for all us kids - no school and tons of white stuff to make snowmen, forts and tunnels.  

And yet you are planning to move to Minnesota.  I don't know, Thea.....

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,696
Points 436,330
Nana replied on Sat, Oct 27 2012 10:47 PM

Mimi

If you need a place to stay just give me a call and you ccould stop here in Roanoke for the night.   We hav a spare bedroom and plenty of room.   Just let me know if that would help.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,355
Points 31,965
MaxNTopeka replied on Sat, Oct 27 2012 11:58 PM

Many thoughts and prayers going out to all the folks who are in the predicted path of Sandy. Please prepare and stay safe.  In the meantime, I'll keep praying Sandy decides to head out to sea!

Do we have anyone on the west coast of Canada?  They had a 7.+ earthquake this evening.

Max

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,323
Points 27,920
Marsha-SM replied on Sun, Oct 28 2012 8:46 AM

LaJuan Sukochi Lee:
Never heard of a hurricane making snow.

This is the first time I have heard the term, but it is understandable.  Usually hurricanes swing west from an east coast storm, but in the summer when it is warm we only get rain.  I don't think the lakes have much effect because they are west of us.  The last bad hurricane that affected us was in June, 1972.  If it is cold enough, the rain (predicted at 1 to 1 1/2" per day for 5 days-yesterday's forecast) would fall as snow.  Our temps are now predicted to be in the low 40s day and night for the next few days, so maybe no snow.  Rich is worried enough about this storm (and he usually shrugs his shoulders at weathermen) that he is really preparing - stacking a week of wood inside right now, looking out barrels to fill with water for flushing, etc. and trying to prevent barn roof damage by getting a younger neighbor to screw down a few loose sheets of steel.  We are both too old to climb ladders safely.   I am looking out the candles + flashlights and stocking up on drinking water.  No electric means no water pumps, and our well is 120' deep!  Also, no furnace or stove.  We are fortunate to have a wood stove and can heat (as we usually do in the winter) with it and cook on it.  Farmers are a lot more prepared for storms than the town folk.  He wasn't worried in 1972 - - -

Our local news is just POLITICS - usual Sunday morning fare.  It is too soon for the hurricane hysterics yet.  I am watching the weather channel right now, but that is just New Jersey and New York right now.  I haven't seen the storm track yet to see if it has changed.  Fortunately the storm is just tropical storm strength now, but when it hits land things may change.

MIL is another problem we will have to deal with.  She has electric heat and wood stove is disconnected.  It is not safe for her to PLAY WITH FIRE.  She loves to dump on kerosene, so kerosene, matches, etc are not allowed in the house.  The stove pipe is down and pipe hole is covered on the ceiling.  If necessary, we can reconnect everything and have someone stay with her.  We have no place for her here - stairs - which she cannot safely handle.  Hopefully things will calm down and the storm will not develop further.

EVERYONE IN IT'S PATH, TAKE CARE - We know how these beasts can change.

Marsha - Western New York

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,843
Points 85,675
Sukochi replied on Sun, Oct 28 2012 11:43 AM

We had prayer at Church this a.m for those facing this storm.  May you all stay safe, warm, dry and not fail to give those in need a place of refuge from the storm.

Marsha, is there no way y'all could watch your MIL and keep her from harms way on the stairs? I fear for her alone, with no light, water or heat, should the power go off. Poor little lady that is scary for her to face, I am sure. I will certianly keep all of you in my prayers.

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,009
Points 19,440
Beth Weigt replied on Sun, Oct 28 2012 12:55 PM

For everyone out East - the calvary is on the way!!  Bill and I spent the last day an a half driving west on I-80 and we saw nothing but CONVOYS of utility trucks, tree cutting companies, power generators and the Red Cross heading East.  Hopefully they won't be needed.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,773
Points 247,869
Barbara replied on Sun, Oct 28 2012 12:56 PM

Beth ,that is sure good to know ,that they will be there . barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,403
Points 40,070
Mimi replied on Sun, Oct 28 2012 2:44 PM

Beth Weigt:
the calvary is on the way!!

That is so good to hear Beth.  The wind has really picked up here.  SEPTA has canceled all bus, train, trolley, and ell routes beginning at midnight tonight.  The Phila. School district has closed schools for tomorrow.  Some suburban districts are also already closed.  DH just gave me a lesson on starting our generator to keep the refrigerator, and sump pumps going.  Our neighborhood has underground utilities but that won't help if the main power is off somewhere else. I've got some hand sewing all lined up and know which breaker turns on the den electricity.  Keep praying for the East Coast.  We all appreciate your thoughts and prayers.

Page 5 of 22 (316 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use