Top 10 Posters

East Coast Storm and the Sandy Quilt Project

Page 4 of 22 (316 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 315 Replies | 20 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,456
Points 40,815
Mimi replied on Fri, Oct 26 2012 3:44 PM

Barbara:
we out here in the Middle will keep you in our T&P until  Sandy is over

Barbara, you are such a sweetie to be keeping us under the watchful care of the Lord.  I've been getting everything ready, filling bathtubs with flushing water, food shopping with the crazies that think life might stop, filling gas cans for the generator, etc. I teach in an older school and they had us lifting everything off the floors and covering all the computers and electrical things with plastic bags.  The place in on schedule for repairs and remodeling but the roof leaks and when it rains real hard the first floor floods.   I'm hoping there isn't a day off of school due to hurricane force winds and/or storm damage.   We're about 45 minutes northeast of Philly in Montgomery County, so we may be in the direct path. On the home front, I'm concerned about our tall maple and pine trees with heavy winds predicted.  Hope everything holds tight.  Need to go and put away the planters and anything else that might fly away .  Keep safe everyone.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Fri, Oct 26 2012 8:51 PM

The newscasters out here are calling what's heading your way "Frankenstorm" - sounds eerie! 

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Sat, Oct 27 2012 9:29 AM

Mimi, I will keep you in my thoughts and Prayers as well.I hope your school will be safe and your trees will not break.  Most important keep you and your family safe

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Sat, Oct 27 2012 9:32 AM

Frances ,I don't know for sure but his hotel just may have a basement ,which is where most of us go if we have warnings.  But we are going to have good weather. 

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 73
Points 740

Hi Barbara, I know you have had numerous responses by the number of pages in this post but wanted to thank you for your prayers too.  I'm "way up' near Boston so we may not be as hard hit as many but I do work with the homeless so would ask that you include these folks as well as all working with them.  Thanks.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,456
Points 40,815
Mimi replied on Sat, Oct 27 2012 9:55 AM

Thanks Barbara.  I'm supposed to be driving to TN for the Fall Fabric Frenzy on Wednesday.  I was really looking forward to some quality time away from the rat race of work. Hoping this is over by then.  But with the predictions of wide power outages, I'm more than a little leery of traveling that far from home by myself.  I'm going to need a place to stay on Wednesday night as I can't start in mid-afternoon and get to TN from where I live.  Sure hope the hotels have back-up generators.  Thanks for your T & P for the East Coast.  We're all resilient people.  We come from pioneer stock.  We'll all come through this no matter the price we'll have to pay.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Sat, Oct 27 2012 9:59 AM

Charlie ,You got it. YOU know we never think about the homeless when things like this happen .I do hope they all get to a safe place . Keep us posted on how things are going. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Sat, Oct 27 2012 10:03 AM

Mimi you should get ahold of Diana,maybe you can stay with her for the night .she loves having company and the bed she has in her downstairs apt.is wonderful . I Think she is planning on going for a day .but you'd have to check with her Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,499
Points 48,010
Frances replied on Sat, Oct 27 2012 10:04 AM

Barbara:

Frances ,I don't know for sure but his hotel just may have a basement ,which is where most of us go if we have warnings.  But we are going to have good weather. 

Dont worry Barbara,

Basement or not im still staying under the table, it will be a great place to sew, of course the problem is once i get under the table it would take me 3 hours to get back out.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Sat, Oct 27 2012 10:06 AM

Frances , I don't think I could get under a table ,LOL first off to fat  and second I don't think my knees would bend that far.LOL I be there forever  LOL

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,363
Points 242,312
Thea replied on Sat, Oct 27 2012 10:11 AM

I honestly have to say that I am glad right now that I am not back living in NY.  This storm sounds like some of the ones I lived through as a child - the ones that drove my parents nuts with the amount of snow that dropped down on them and gave fun for all us kids - no school and tons of white stuff to make snowmen, forts and tunnels.  

They are saying 10" of rain in some places and 4' of snow in the mountains of Virginia - get your winter stuff out and your rain boots and jackets - umbrellas... they are talking about wide spread power outages - 

This really does not sound pretty at all.  The only thing anywhere good about it is that the warnings have been out for a few days - it was predicted.  

And as I said before ... FEDEX can get things to you along with UPS - we got things shipped to us via these 2 companies after Hurricane Hugo came through - so if you are in need of anything - let me know - our stores are full - we haven not emptied them at all... 

At least I know most of the ones I am talking to that are in danger are quilters and I know that quilts saved us when we had the ice storm in the 90s and some parts of our town were out of power for over 30 days... good time to have a fire place - AND WOOD... but it was great to have a ton of quilts to pile on top of us - we actually made small tents inside the house with them and huddled inside with our gas heaters - keeping the area small and toasty warm... lots of books got read - power up those I-books and Kindles and readers... uncover those treadle sewing machines...

I am just full of advice this morning...teehee... but seriously - thoughts and prayers heading your way!

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Sat, Oct 27 2012 10:16 AM

YEs everyone as Thea states if any of you need  any thing ,PLEASE let us know . We are more then willing to help with what we can.  Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,456
Points 40,815
Mimi replied on Sat, Oct 27 2012 10:21 AM

Barbara:
you should get ahold of Diana

She has a wonderful home and it would be a great idea.  We stopped last retreat.  I had to see her stash.  LOL   The only problem is I can't get into TN by midnight.  I would need a place somewhere in VA.  Maybe they will close schools and I'll be able to start on Wed. in the early AM?? Then I could get to Douglas Lake on Wednesday evening.  Don't want to have to make up the day but if the power's out, the power's out.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Sat, Oct 27 2012 10:23 AM

Mimi ,Just have a safe trip .when you do go .Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,499
Points 48,010
Frances replied on Sat, Oct 27 2012 10:27 AM

Barbara:

Frances , I don't think I could get under a table ,LOL first off to fat  and second I don't think my knees would bend that far.LOL I be there forever  LOL

Oh Barbara,

My knees will bend okay but then the chances are they will just seize up in that position but could be great for the photos :)

lots of love

Francesxx

Page 4 of 22 (316 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use