Top 10 Posters

Has anyone quilted with old, worn material

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 14 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
5 Posts
Points 130
canlen posted on Wed, Oct 24 2012 6:36 PM

I am an avid quilter but have never worked with old material. I have taken apart my quilt from when I was a baby to requilt it for my daughter. Upon taking it apart, I realized that the top and bottom fabrics are really worn and fragile. Is there anything I can do to make it more durable? I was thinking stabilizer but am afraid to iron it on without knowing if it would work. Anyone have any ideas or tips for me??

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,788 Posts
Points 122,730
Suggested by Mia

Canlen.  I'm no expert in this field, in fact I know nothing. But I was in the quilt shop the other day looking for some light muslin to back an embroidery project. The owner showed me an iron-on product that I bought. It's a very very lightweight iron on stabilizer and looks like a thin white muslin. It doesn't wash out and it doesn't add much weight at all. It's called Pellon SF101 Shape-Flex. I wonder if this would work to sturdy up your old fabric pieces.

You could check with your local quilt shop and see what they say. Good luck and be sure to post pictures of your quilt before and after.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,467 Posts
Points 416,899
gini replied on Wed, Oct 24 2012 7:01 PM

hi canlen, welcome to the group.  other than basting it to muslin and letting the muslin take the stress, i don't know of anything.  you might try judy's idea. 

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,443 Posts
Points 127,624

Hi canlen and welcome to QCA, very nice to meet you. Sorry, i cannot help you with your question either.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,778 Posts
Points 248,014
Suggested by Mia

Judy T-Bellingham:
It's called Pellon SF101 Shape-Flex. I
Judy I have used this on my Twilling projects and it worked well. you hardly even know its there and it give a great stable backing to fabric.  I think this would work great on what Canlen need for her quilt .

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 50 Contributor
2,832 Posts
Points 40,015
ls2116 replied on Wed, Oct 24 2012 8:29 PM

Not sure canlen on your project.  But I've often thought of making a recycled jeans quilt.

Quilting My Rainbow

Not Ranked
Female
7 Posts
Points 65
Mia replied on Wed, Oct 24 2012 8:41 PM

Canlen, I was fixing a couple of blocks in an old quilted pillow that my grandma had made and I went to my local quilt shop and ask them what they would recommend and was told to use - Pellon SF101 Shape-Flex- it worked great!  I don't know how it would do for a large project but if you check with a local quilt shop in your area they should be able to help you with this or other suggestions.  The other thing might be to use it on the top and perhaps replace the bottom fabric with a totally new piece of fabric.  I am sure the top has more detail than the bottom as it does in most quilts.  Hope this helps you some.  Mia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,443 Posts
Points 127,624

Hi Miahme123 and welcome to QCA, nice to meet you.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Not Ranked
5 Posts
Points 130
canlen replied on Thu, Oct 25 2012 1:16 PM

Hi Judy,

Thank you! I see that a few people have agreed with you so I will give it a shot! The only local place I have is a Joann's and I asked them there and they had no idea, I asked about a stabilizer and I don't think the woman had ever heard of it before so I wasn't about to take her advice!

I will go buy some tomorrow and let you guys know how it ended up working out for your future reference

Cassi

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,778 Posts
Points 248,014

Cassi ,good luck I think you will really like the stuff. I do .Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Not Ranked
5 Posts
Points 130
canlen replied on Thu, Oct 25 2012 1:22 PM

Hi Mia,

Thank you for helping! I am going to try the Pellon SF101 Shape-Flex that so many of you have suggested. I am jealous that everyone seems to have a quilt shop around them, the people at Joann's don't seem to sew at all, at least where I am. I'm going to buy that tomorrow and I will post how it worked!

Cassi

Not Ranked
5 Posts
Points 130
canlen replied on Thu, Oct 25 2012 1:23 PM

Thanks Barbara! I'll let you guys know how it comes out. Everyone has been so helpful on here, I didn't know a place like this existed!

Cassi

Not Ranked
5 Posts
Points 130
canlen replied on Thu, Oct 25 2012 1:25 PM

One more question...is it fusible or non-fusible?

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,778 Posts
Points 248,014

I think its fusible . I don't remember is coming off the back of my fabric when I worked with it . Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,388 Posts
Points 37,625
Linda replied on Thu, Oct 25 2012 7:17 PM

I did some embroidery on a vintage pillow case and I used the fusible version. Worked great.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use