New member and struggling with my ambitions

Page 2 of 2 (29 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 28 Replies | 8 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,514
Points 30,780
Diana replied on Wed, Oct 24 2012 11:52 AM

Welcome and join right in.  I've been quilting for about 15 years and enjoy it all.  I tie a lot of my quilts but I'm going to learn to FMQ one of these days soon.   I have a special quilt I want to hand quilt too.  I have hand quilted 2 wall hangings but not a whole quilt.  I really love to sew on bindings.  The hand stitiching of the binding onto the back is my relax time in front of the tv.  It's also my favorite part because when it's done.....my quilt is done.  I include putting the label before the binding so that 2 sides of the label are incorporated into the binding and less hand stitching there too.  Join right in and have a great time.  We love to pass on our love of quilting.

Diana (Bink) in East Tn.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 524
Points 13,340
Claudette replied on Wed, Oct 24 2012 12:42 PM

BB - I have this book and am excited to try the techniques in it.  http://www.amazon.com/Foolproof-Machine-Quilting-Paper-Cut-ebook/dp/B004GCK7G0

I like this book because it shows that you can really do a lot with a walking foot.  I'm not limited to straight line quilting!  However, I do have to get some blocks or quilt tops done first...

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

That looks very interesting Claudette, it would be fun for doing table toppers and placemats and such. I put it on my wish list...

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 524
Points 13,340
Claudette replied on Wed, Oct 24 2012 3:17 PM

I plan to use the techniques for quilt as you go blocks.  Maybe I'll do it for my Craftsy BOM quilt.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,059
Points 13,715
Carey replied on Wed, Oct 24 2012 3:26 PM

Lol join the crowd thats why there is a group here called UFO's. Unfinished quilts. As for the quilting process and wanting to do it as much it is also the hardest part because if you dont know fmq and want to experiment you can mess up. It takes a lot of practice and some patience to master anything fmq wise. There is a group called Fear No More FMQ I am also a member of. These groups are all free to all paid and free members of the site. Sometimes if you are making a quilt and don't know the person well the design or the blocks and such will tell you what it wants to be quilted like. Many people choose to pay to have their quilts finished however I am on te broker side of things and choose to take my time quilting it myself. Sometimes they don't come out perfect but most of the time you are the only one that notices the mistakes. 

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 56
Points 680
Tina replied on Thu, Oct 25 2012 11:32 AM

Hi Kim and welcome!  I'm Tina and I am a quiltaholic/fabriholic.  I haven't fully finished a project because I have more ideas than time and get distracted.  But oh, I LOVE it!

I'm with Belfrybat though and need to add FMQ to my New Year's resolution and maybe that will help my quilt sandwich fears.

:-)

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 59
Points 590
Hi Kim, Believe me when I say, that I too use to have the same thoughts when it came to the quilting and the binding. Honestly, the bigger the top with more I dreaded or not as thrilled about the process, but the more I did, the better I got at it. For instance, I just finished a dresdan which was the BOM of the month for July, and I absolutely decided not to put this one through the machine because it is a queen, and lots of shapes, etc attached. I have been hand quilting this one for months with the old fashion quilting stitch taught me by the Amish. Whatever you decide to do, I am sure it will be beautiful just like the others you finished. Sometimes, it helps to just step back and breathe before starting the other process. God Bless, and have fun whatever you decide. I have done about 50-60 quilts and I go through the thought process of how to end all the time. Pat

Blessings,

Pat F, Jamestown, NY

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 70

Hi, I am new and look forward to spending time on this site. I came here looking for advise on threads to use. I have tried aurifil and see it is highly recommended.  12 years ago I purchased a machine that came with 50 spools of RA thread. I have used many different kinds...some too linty. I have a Pfaff quilt expression and wondered what people were recommending,  guess I will order some aurifil!

I am wondering how your signatures are in such cute fonts.

Jill

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,592
Points 75,980
Karla replied on Sun, Oct 28 2012 4:48 PM

Welcome Jill...you'll get many different opinions on different threads...it seems each machine likes different threads.   I have 5 machines and some are pretty picky...others you can use just about anything without a problem.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,542
Points 177,608
Marie replied on Sun, Oct 28 2012 6:20 PM

Hi Jill and welcome.  Aurifil is a good thread, very little lint and more yds. to each spool.  Enjoy the site and post often, we'd like to get to know you and see some of your work, we love pics.

Millbury, MA

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 70

So how do I fancy up my signature?

jill

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,788
Points 122,730

Kim:

I am so excited to move on to another pattern and design, and there are so many I want to try, that I am having trouble finishing these two projects sitting on my table. I haven't done as much quilting as I have piecing, and no free motion yet. So maybe I just need to get excited about that process too. 

Any suggestions or words of wisdom?

Welcome Kim. You are in for a wild and exciting ride in the world of quilting. I'm one that does the free motion quilting on my domestic machine. Partly because I really can't spend the money to send it out (cuts into buying fabric! LOL). But also partly because I want it to be entirely my project. (although I admit that if I had the funds, I'd probably send some out) I have a pile of tops on the shelf waiting to be quilted and several partial quilts. I keep jumping to another one that I'm excited to start.

Don't worry if it's "right". Someone suggested joining the group for FMQ. That's a good idea. There are also classes on craftsy.com for beginning FMQ.

Whatever method you use, your quilts will be precious.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,788
Points 122,730

Jill Allen:

So how do I fancy up my signature?

jill

I think there is a way to do it within QCA but I don't know what that is. I used a graphics program and created a jpg file. I imported that file into my profile under the Signature section in Site Options within your profile.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sun, Oct 28 2012 9:23 PM

Jill Allen:
I am wondering how your signatures are in such cute fonts.

Hi Jill!  On your home page, there is a link for "Frequently Asked Questions."  From there, look for the link on adding fancy signatures.  Hope that helps!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Page 2 of 2 (29 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use