Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 28 Replies | 8 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 6
Points 180
Kim Posted: Tue, Oct 23 2012 10:15 PM

Hi all, I'm a new member to this site and have been quilting just a little under a year. It has been a wonderful year of piecing, festivals, classes and discovery of the truly encouraging and beautiful world of the quilting craft and those wonderfully supportive people in it.

I completed 1queen size quilt, and two toddler quilts. I just completed the top to a full size sampler and the top to  another BOM Christmas quilt. My biggest problem right now is finding the patience to complete the quilting and binding.

I am so excited to move on to another pattern and design, and there are so many I want to try, that I am having trouble finishing these two projects sitting on my table. I haven't done as much quilting as I have piecing, and no free motion yet. So maybe I just need to get excited about that process too. 

Any suggestions or words of wisdom?

• | Post Points: 140
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

First of I wanted to say Hi and welcome to QCA.  There are a bunch of people on here who do FMQ on their domestic machines and I'm sure someone will be along soon with some wonderful advice. 

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,755
Points 38,915
ls2116 replied on Tue, Oct 23 2012 10:22 PM

Have you joined the free motion group ?  Welcome to the club!  There is a waterfall of inspiration here.

Quilting My Rainbow

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Tue, Oct 23 2012 10:29 PM

Welcome Kim.

I hope you enjoy your time with us.  If you go to the group section and look for Fear No More FMQ and join the group you will get lots of help and tips.  It really isn't that difficult.  FMQ just takes practice.

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 6
Points 180
Kim replied on Tue, Oct 23 2012 10:31 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. And the answer is no I haven't. Is it a part of this website too?

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Tue, Oct 23 2012 10:32 PM

Kim

Yes the groups are part of this website.  Just go to the top bar and click on group.   Then scroll to the bottom of the page and click on All Quilter's Club of America Groups.  Scroll down the list and join as many groups as you think sounds interesting.   They are all good groups.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,408
Points 19,580

Welcome Kim. You will love it here. Nana is right. You just need to practice FMQ. If you practice at least 20 minutes a day, they say you will have that ah ha moment in about 10 days. I didn't believe it so I challenged the teacher that told me that. After about 10 days I started to relax and I "got it".  Just remember to breath and try to relax. I think once you start you will get excited about FMQ also. Just make practice sandwiches to practice with. Good luck and let us know how it goes. Again, welcome to the club.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,459
Points 243,987
Thea replied on Tue, Oct 23 2012 11:08 PM

Kim - you are a quiltoholic - plain and simple - we love all aspects and can't wait to try something new and different - it teaches us patience to finish the quilt we are working on before moving on to the next - 

My words of wisdom would be - finish each project as you start it - don't fall into the trap so many of us with dozens of WIP (works in progress)... or UFO s... I have so many and I keep saying I will finish them but then something new catches my eye and I am off on that journey...

I do admit to dozens of WIPs but I can say that most of mine are TOPS - I just have a problem quilting them - I am not as excited about that part of the process yet... I love the piecing and designing part... someday I will be as excited about the designing of the quilt design - 

and one last thing - have tons of fun and enjoy yourself and know that you are with a great group of enablers here...teehee

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,838
Points 366,217
Kris replied on Wed, Oct 24 2012 12:36 AM

Welcome Kim.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,421
Points 415,844
gini replied on Wed, Oct 24 2012 1:13 AM

hi kim, welcome to the group.   i find nothing odd, or wrong with lots of quilt tops sitting around while i am starting a new project.  you will find that this is the norm for a lot of quilters.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,656
Points 136,082
Leslie replied on Wed, Oct 24 2012 5:21 AM

Hi Kim, welcome.  I find I don't like the quilting part of the process, so I have a lady who does it for me at a very cheap price

[Ava, Missouri

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Wed, Oct 24 2012 6:23 AM

Kim

I really enjoy the quilting part of the process.   It is the sandwiching that is the hold up for me...LOL>  I have lost track of how many quilt tops I have that need to be quilted.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,451
Points 176,373
Marie replied on Wed, Oct 24 2012 9:00 AM

Welcome Kim, you are in for the experience of a lifetime with this group, they are the greatest, funny, knowledgeable, caring and loving.  You will love it here.

Millbury, MA

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,209
Points 16,230
Susan replied on Wed, Oct 24 2012 10:23 AM

Welcome, Kim! I dont like the quilting part as much as the piecing, so I too, send mine to a lady in our Guild who does beautiful quilting, cheap.  I even paid a little extra one time to have the binding put on as I was running out of time to give as a gift. Just enjoy, and dont get hung up on UFOs. Hope you enjoy your time here at QCA! Love to see some of your work. Susan

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 681
Points 17,090

Welcome, Kim.  Like you, I've been quilting for less than a year.  Actually I should say I've been piecing because I have yet to actually complete a quilt all on my own.  The large one I did, I sent out to be quilted, but at $60.00 a whack, I can't do that very often.  All I've done so far is straight lines with the walking foot -- BORING!  So as soon as my current 3 tops I'm working on are pieced I am determined to learn some fancy quilting methods using the walking foot.  Then my New Year's resolution will be to learn FMQ.  But, oh do I love the excitement of piecing and seeing the design develop!  I hope you will become a regular around here.

Brigit-Carol

• | Post Points: 50
Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use