Top 10 Posters

Is It a good idea to use Flannel Fabric and Cotton fabric in the same quilt?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 17 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
33 Posts
Points 805
jrcgj posted on Mon, Oct 22 2012 2:31 PM

I found a simple pattern in the new connecting threads catalog but it is made with flannel fabric which is okay but I also seen some green cotton fabric I wanted to use. Would it be okay to use them both in the same quilt? Please help. 

• | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,443 Posts
Points 127,624

Hi jrcgj and welcome to QCA.

I suppose you could combine the two, but the flannel is going to shrink different than the cotton, so I would probably wash them both and then starch the heck out of them before cutting.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
33 Posts
Points 805
jrcgj replied on Mon, Oct 22 2012 2:39 PM

Thanks. It is so hard sometimes to find a pattern that would work for boys but this one is perfect. I so glad you told me about starching the flannel , I would not have thought to do that. 

Not Ranked
33 Posts
Points 805
jrcgj replied on Mon, Oct 22 2012 2:42 PM

I just realized that the flannel is in fat quarters. I can't wash them, Can I? 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,443 Posts
Points 127,624

Someone may come along who has actually tried combining the two with a different opinion. I have used flannel for batting on baby quilts and a lot of people use flannel for backing, so not sure why it would not work.

BTW, I have started starching all my fabric when I iron, it makes it so much easier to work with.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,443 Posts
Points 127,624

jrcgj:

I just realized that the flannel is in fat quarters. I can't wash them, Can I? 

You could if you zig zag around the edge to help stop the raveling, but remember when it shrinks you will no longer have a fat 1/4 so if your pattern has directions using fat 1/4 you probably will not get the right amount out of each one

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,536 Posts
Points 417,914
gini replied on Mon, Oct 22 2012 3:35 PM

i mix them including minke in quilts.  i prewash everything cotton.  if you are prewashing the small pieces of flannel, stick them in a pillowcase to wash and dry them.  i haven't prewashed the minke and i haven't had a problem.   i don't starch anything.

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,116 Posts
Points 29,750
Ramona replied on Mon, Oct 22 2012 3:37 PM

jrcgj,

You can absolutely use flannel and regular cotton in the same quilt as long as you wash both to prevent shrinkage once the quilt is put together. Even though flannel is cotton it shrinks differently than regular cotton. Pre-washing is a must and I'm sure starching will help, although I never starched either one.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,536 Posts
Points 417,914
gini replied on Mon, Oct 22 2012 3:38 PM

Spudgrandma:

You could if you zig zag around the edge to help stop the raveling, but remember when it shrinks you will no longer have a fat 1/4 so if your pattern has directions using fat 1/4 you probably will not get the right amount out of each one

this is a good point and one of the reasons i buy more than the called for amount.    once you prewash a piece of fabric, not only does it shrink, but the straight of grain moves to a more"true" position and you can lose several inches on both  ends of a cut, depending on the fabric once you find the straight of grain.  

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
33 Posts
Points 805
jrcgj replied on Mon, Oct 22 2012 3:46 PM

I plan on buying more fabric. The kit is only  for a baby size quilt, and my son is 15. So i'm not concerned about the shrinkage. I do appreciate all the info, because I didn't realize it would shrink so much.   

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,116 Posts
Points 29,750
Ramona replied on Mon, Oct 22 2012 4:00 PM

I was also going to add that I serge the edges if I'm washing yardage if I feel it's going to fray on the edges. As for your fat quarters....you can zigzag, serge, use pinking shears or the pinking rotary cutter and then place them in a lingerie bag in the dryer.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,686 Posts
Points 248,737
Thea replied on Mon, Oct 22 2012 5:02 PM

jrcgj:

I found a simple pattern in the new connecting threads catalog but it is made with flannel fabric which is okay but I also seen some green cotton fabric I wanted to use. Would it be okay to use them both in the same quilt? Please help. 

Flannel and cotton work fine in the same quilt as long as you shrink the flannel first.  I take my flannels and measure them - wash them and measure them - depending on how much they shrink - more then 1/2" I was again - less then 1/2" I just cut and use... If they shrink more then that 1/2" I wash again and measure again - I keep washing and checking until the shrinkage is less then 1/2".  

I have made several quilts using them both together - I also have used silks, satins, polyester in quilts - you just have to be aware of the fabrics you are using and what happens with them.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,817 Posts
Points 248,489

Well I use both in a quilt and I didn't have to pre wash ,I wash all of mine in cold water and line dry, I've not had any problems with shrinkage . guess I'm just lucky so far ..LOL  I used the flannel on the back to keep me warm on those cold winter nights . 

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,681 Posts
Points 179,378
Marie replied on Mon, Oct 22 2012 6:00 PM

Gini, after you wash do you put the fabrics in the dryer or line dry?

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,686 Posts
Points 248,737
Thea replied on Mon, Oct 22 2012 6:06 PM

Marie, I put them in the dryer - you never know if you are giving away a quilt if they will line dry or dryer it - so all mine are ready made for the dryer.  I know Barbara line dries - I just don't have the time for them - or like them after they are on the line - I love them nice and soft and fluffy - and for me when I get my clothes off the line they always seem a little stiff... so dryer!!!

Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use