Top 10 Posters

How do you store your quilting magazines?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 19 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
2,752 Posts
Points 38,885
ls2116 posted on Sun, Oct 21 2012 8:07 PM

I have years of accumulation.  Do you have a Book shelf Wall?

Quilting My Rainbow

• | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,399 Posts
Points 119,586
Patti replied on Sun, Oct 21 2012 10:02 PM

I have a book shelf, and they are on the bottom shelf, piled high.  Keep them on the bottom as I am afraid a higher shelf might collapse from the weight.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sun, Oct 21 2012 10:09 PM

I have black plastic magazine files for each title, and these stand up on my book shelf.  I am quickly running out of room!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
2,752 Posts
Points 38,885
ls2116 replied on Sun, Oct 21 2012 10:28 PM

Both of you gave me a great idea.  I might get a low long shelf and put my stain glass lamps on top. then subcategorize rows.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 100 Contributor
Female
710 Posts
Points 13,835

I numbered each of my magazines, then scanned the photo of each quilt and made a Word document with them. Below each photo is a number to indicate which magazine it's in, the name of the patttern, and the size. I had these printed, about 6 photos to a side. So now I can look through my binder of photos to find a quilt pattern rather than going through all the magazines. The magazines are stored in numerical order, on shelves on my sewing room bookcase, using those plastic magazine holders.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Mon, Oct 22 2012 7:22 AM

Wow Carol, that must have taken a long time.   What a great idea.  I subscribed to eMagazines and kind of like it better.  I am able to flag and label my favorite pages.  Last year I flagged a bunch of holiday projects and this year I just opened those pages and didn't have to thumb through all the pages, although I like doing that every once in a while as well.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,849 Posts
Points 85,825

Mine are in magazine holders. I have them according to what mag they are (McCalls, F & P, AP&Q), then by year of mag. I am getting more mag holders then I have room for. My problem is that, though I have the pages I want marked with a post it, I can't bring myself to even donate a single one. I was putting them in this order last year, and realized that I have two of severl issues. The extra I donated to the Librayr Book Store. I love going through every single page, from time to time. Someday, I need to add on a room, I guess. Perfect thing would be to turn my little guest room into a library with only shelves for my mags and books. Hmm.......!

Sukochi

Top 75 Contributor
1,509 Posts
Points 30,695
Diana replied on Mon, Oct 22 2012 7:49 AM

I've got way too many magazines and I'm hoping to copy the patterns that I really like and maybe would someday make and pass the magazines on to the Senior Center's craft room or even to the Girl's club in town.  I probably should do it as they come in after I've read them from cover to cover.  I'll get it done someday.

Diana (Bink) in East Tn.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
5 Posts
Points 190

I have them in piles.  About once a year I go through the ones I don't subscribe to and photo copy what looks interesting to me and then pass them on.  It seems that quilting magazines are the first to go.  I used to rip out the pages, but I have this thing about destroying magazines and books.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,770 Posts
Points 66,013

I keep the ones that really stand out to me but try to pass them on to others so they can get enough use.  Otherwise, I'm sure they will just sit and rot in my quilt room.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,365 Posts
Points 37,180
Linda replied on Mon, Oct 22 2012 9:57 AM

I have mine in a  wide 3 drawer storage unit but I'm getting too many. The cost of subscriptions is getting so high and my limited income I'm letting my subscriptions lapse. I have enough patterns. I think I'm going to go thru the magazines I have and copy the patterns I want and then pass on the magazines...at retreats, quilters clubs, senior centers, etc. I have a whole bookshelf of books too and a storage bin of patterns. I think I have enough to last me a lifetime and then some.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,778 Posts
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Mon, Oct 22 2012 12:11 PM

I'm starting to drop some of magazines simply because  i have so many and so many are all the same . I still get Quitmaker  as that is my favorite ,and Easy Quilts form here. the rest of have petty much stop . Nice thing if I see one I want I can always get it at the store .I keep mine in a rack under one of my sewing tables separated by titles ,make it easy to find what I want .

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 50 Contributor
2,752 Posts
Points 38,885
ls2116 replied on Mon, Oct 22 2012 3:40 PM

Thank you everyone great suggestions. Never thought of scanning. My favorite mags are F&P of coarse along with Quiltmaker  and McCall's Quilting. 

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,062 Posts
Points 29,135
Ramona replied on Mon, Oct 22 2012 3:54 PM

I have a lot of quilt magazines but not as many as some here, I'm sure. I have donated to the guild and have packets at the guild shop during the quilt show. Reality is, I hate to get rid of any of them. Some I have had donated to me from the 70's. Lots of interesting patterns in those.  As for storage....I have them on a book shelf and in a cabinet.  As a couple of others here have done, I have had to stop buying the magazine subscriptions but I might pick up that "gotta have" one on occasion.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,415 Posts
Points 415,724
gini replied on Mon, Oct 22 2012 6:46 PM

i rip the stuff out of the mags that i want to save and put them in a binder,  then i give them away.

gini in north idaho

Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use