good news/bad news

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 14 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 40,855
ls2116 Posted: Fri, Oct 19 2012 1:58 AM

I have a good news bad news story.  Good news is I got my mq6 sandwiched and quilted.  Bad news didn't check backing fabric and after quilting found out the fabric had folds and creases.  I'm really bummed cuz I was so excited about this one.  Probably just let my DH have this one.

Quilting My Rainbow

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Fri, Oct 19 2012 5:16 AM

If its not a lot of folds and creases, you can frog those stitches enough to make the area flat and redo them.  When making the sandwich, I usually tape or clamp down the back so that it doesn't move before setting the other layers on top, pin about 5 inches apart, flip it over to see if flat enough.  if satisfied, begin sewing.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Fri, Oct 19 2012 7:49 AM

I have always pin basted my sandwich but lately I have been spray basting.  I kind of like that better, no pins in the way of quilting.  But in either case, I sometimes tend  to tape or clamp my backing a bit tight and then it wrinkles up a bit when the fabric is released.  There's that fine line again, that gets me every time! hehe

• | Post Points: 0
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,679
Points 248,642
Thea replied on Fri, Oct 19 2012 7:59 AM

I spray baste when I am sandwiching - but it takes me several hours to complete - I think somewhere on here I did a tutorial on how I sandwiched and basted my quilts - because when I started out no one taught me how to do this and I too was getting those folds and creases in the back.

I now - lay the backing down wrong side up and use those clips that you can buy in the stores like Staples that you use to hold documents together - I spread it tight across - like I had to make my bed when in basic training - so you could bounce a quarter off - lol - then I lay down the batting and smooth it out - nope don't clip it down it is loose... then I lay the top down and smooth it down - make sure it is centered on the backing fabric - then I fold back the top to the middle on both sides - folding up about 1/8 at a time till there are two folds on either side of the middle - then I fold the batting back - I usually fold it in 1/4s...

I then spray the backing fabric - have found it works better then spraying the batting - fold the batting back - one section at a time and smooth it down... after the batting is all spray basted I start smoothing back the top - I spray the top again - not the batting - I spray the 1/8th sections and smooth them down - one section at a time.

After I get it all basted, I unclip the backing... if I have had to only do what is the center section because of the size of the quilt - I move it over on the table and again secure the backing with clips and fold up that small area that is left and do again the batting - then the front... 

When it is all spray basted, I take it to my ironing board and I have it first backing side closest to the ironing board and press it - smoothing out the top a little at a time as it needs it - then I turn it over and do the backing the same way.  If I am not ready right then to quilt it - I fold it up and hang it on a hanger for storage...

Sometimes it takes me many hours to get all the little creases and folds out and I don't understand how they get there - other times it goes smoothly without a single crease - I think those are the times when I have caught the poltergeist quilters napping in my house... teehee...

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,329
Points 18,730
erindipity replied on Fri, Oct 19 2012 10:10 AM

That is a bummer :/  I do okay with small projects ~table runners, wall hangings, baby and throw sized quilts~ but everything else ends up a mess!  I read somewhere that someone felt like a "topper" not a quilter...lol...I think that is me too!

Hope that you can possibly go back and fix...Good luck.

Erin

Piece, Love, Quilt

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 40,855
ls2116 replied on Fri, Oct 19 2012 10:15 AM

Thanks for replying! I pin baste and usually check backing this time i went straight to sewing oops. i think i'm going to try spray baste or taping.  I'll bind it today.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

ls2116:
Bad news didn't check backing fabric and after quilting found out the fabric had folds and creases.

That's a bummer. Before I got the frame and sandwiched the quilt on my 2 folding tables I taped the back down to the table with blue painters tape and that kept everything in place while I pinned, it worked really well. But all these suggestions, after the fact, are not much help are they? (((HUGS)))

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,409
Points 19,530

ls2116:

I have a good news bad news story.  Good news is I got my mq6 sandwiched and quilted.  Bad news didn't check backing fabric and after quilting found out the fabric had folds and creases.  I'm really bummed cuz I was so excited about this one.  Probably just let my DH have this one.

I just did the same thing. It's funny (funny weird, not funny haha) that I just had the same experience. It is a gift for my goddaughter who just had a baby yesterday, so I really can't give it to someone else. I don't think my husband would like a hopscotch quilt. The only good thing with me is that it is only on 1/4 bottom, so I am taking it out. Slowly but surely. I'm sure your's was not as horrendous as mine. Good luck with whatever you decide to do with it.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Melissa Halpain:
(funny weird, not funny haha)
I had to smile at this, have not heard this phrase for awhile, my Dad use to say it all the time. :)

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,405
Points 21,105

I also did this recently.  The thing is, I knew it was going to happen before hand (I sandwiched my quilt while on vacay and forgot to bring tape, which I figured would cause me problems)... and I just decided to be OK with it.  the quilt is just for me and the backing fabric is pretty busy, so they don't stand out too much... There are a few differnet spots where it gathered.  If it were a gift quilt, I suppose I'd be bothered by it.  Seems like it would be a nightmare to undo and fix.  :(

Raleigh, NC

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Fri, Oct 19 2012 1:13 PM

Thea:
Sometimes it takes me many hours to get all the little creases and folds out and I don't understand how they get there - other times it goes smoothly without a single crease - I think those are the times when I have caught the poltergeist quilters napping in my house... teehee...

Thea, 

I always amazes me how much I learn from your posts.  Thank you for taking the time to explain your process in such detail.  I will definitely be following your method.  Mine is similar but I never thought to iron and never thought about hanging it on a hanger.  Great tips!

Thanks, Thea...

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,679
Points 248,642
Thea replied on Fri, Oct 19 2012 1:21 PM

Annie, You are so welcome!  I wish someone had been there to explain it to me but coming from a family where my Mom did not quilt - she sewed but no quilting so I was basically on my own.  I wish someone had explained it to me.  It is rather easy once you get the hang of it - whether you pin baste - thread baste or spray baste... just takes time and patience... something that quilting has taught me a lot of...teehee

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 40,855
ls2116 replied on Fri, Oct 19 2012 1:36 PM

mine is smack dab in the middle of the quilt. Maybe I'm a Topper too rather than a quilter.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

ls2116:
Maybe I'm a Topper too rather than a quilter.

Don't give up, you will figure it out!   :)

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,428
Points 38,295
Linda replied on Fri, Oct 19 2012 1:54 PM

Hang in there....even those of us  who have been quilting 30+ years have the same thing  happen. It is not unique to newbies or those who haven't been quilting long. I just had it happen to a quilt and it's still sitting on the table until I feel like ripping it out. Unfortunately, this one does have to come out. Some you can get away with. So, hon, join the club of quilting or I should say another aspect of quilting. Don't feel bad...just another learning experience.

Smile, It's easier than frowning. Hugs.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use