I-Pad vs. Tablet

Page 4 of 5 (69 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 68 Replies | 10 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,496
Points 30,450
Diana replied on Sun, Oct 28 2012 6:54 AM

Hi Pat,   Guess I'm not too old or stupid,  maybe just stubborn.  The funniest part of my dread of all this new technology is that I was a computer programmer on a multi-million dollar mainframe for 22 years.  But PC's scare the heck out of me.  I even have DH do the stuff of setting up my laptop.  Isn't that just too sad....lol

Diana in East Tn. 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,457
Points 361,872
Kris replied on Sun, Oct 28 2012 10:52 PM

Maggie,

I just read about your Amazon nightmare. That's just bad business. I buy mostly from Barnes and Noble and if I have gift cards registered they charge those first then the balance on my credit card. That said, I haven't had bad service from amazon when I use them. I hope they don't keep this up especially this holiday season.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,422
Points 23,795
Maggie replied on Mon, Oct 29 2012 6:00 PM

I don't buy a lot from them as I can usually find things at the same price locally and not pay shipping.  I used a total of 5 Amazon cards (buying the gift cards at a local store provides 6% of the face value for DGS in the scouts) and each time I entered the # on one, the site recognized the value and gave a balance due in the correct amount.   For some reason after I entered  all of them there was a problem with the codes so instead of contacting me or holding the order, they just switched payment options.   I can deal with wrong or broken merchandise but not "double dipping" my money and then telling me there is nothing I can do except return the merchandise and re-order using the credit balance I already have.  

Do you have to go to work during the storm?   Stay safe out on the roads.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,457
Points 361,872
Kris replied on Mon, Oct 29 2012 6:25 PM

I'm at work. We have rain and high winds. Advisory in effect until 8AM tomorrow. The roads are clear no trouble here.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,477
Points 46,525

Diane, that is funny. I used to be fairly techie, but now that my children are grown and gone I don't use the computer like I once did. I use one at work most of the day, but we have an IT guy to call for every little thing. I am just not interested in studying manuals and learning all  the newest techie stuff. I want to quilt. Although I do have a computerized sewing machine, LOL. I have EQ7 and am trying to learn that so I guess I am still studying, just with a different goal. I want to get a tablet, but it might have to wait as I just discovered that my hot water heater is leaking. sigh, it's always something.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,477
Points 46,525

Glad to hear you are safe, Kris. I was just looking at the news and it looks pretty ugly up there. I am taking the Border Workshop at Quilt University and the teacher lives in NY I thnk. Anyway she said she expected to lose power so we might not hear from her for a few days. I really hope that the power is restored to everyone that quickly.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,461
Points 116,610

Nana, are you out of the path of the storm back there in Virginia?

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,457
Points 361,872
Kris replied on Tue, Oct 30 2012 12:29 AM

I'm home now. I missed the worst of the rain (some roads have lots of water) but the wind is pretty high right now. Lots of leaves everywhere. I love the sound of the wind howling around the house. Cats are very calm. 

One of the third shift ladies called to say there are trees down near her home and her way in was blocked. Power is out on some streets in our neighbourhood.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,671
Points 65,735
Bonita replied on Tue, Oct 30 2012 7:44 AM

Glad you made it home safely Kris. I do hope you power stays on.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,457
Points 361,872
Kris replied on Tue, Dec 4 2012 12:12 AM

Quick update:

I got the Nook HD+ for Christmas (yep we've already celebrated). As with any mobile device there are limitations but, over all, I like it. I can leave my laptop at home and use this at work. Nice size and not too heavy.

I can post to QCA but the quotes don't work well.

I can view crafts videos (love that) but can't see any on QNNtv (bummer).

Netflix is available and my digital copy movies on Ultraviolet link with my Nook library (sweet).

Email works great and I love that I can borrow library books directly from the device. No need for computer. I still don't enjoy reading with a back light so my old Nook Simple Touch will still be used until I get comfortable with the backlight.

I can do the fabshop hop too. 

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,440
Points 23,990
Debbie replied on Tue, Dec 4 2012 12:45 AM

Maggie - I have the Samsung Galaxy Tab, first one and love it.  still some limitations but Consumer Reports have ranked it the best  after iPad.  I've had mine for over a year but would love to upgrade to Tab 2.  it'll be awhile before I can do that and who knows what they'll have out then.  I have not been able to post or maybe I just didn't think I could and haven't tried. 

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,422
Points 23,795
Maggie replied on Tue, Dec 4 2012 11:06 PM

okay, I guess its time I fess up.    As soon as I got my credit from Amazon I used it and some Amazon gift cards my daughter had (we traded $$) I Bought the iPad 2 -- absolutely love it.   I can view all my movies on it and read magazines, post to QCA and read books.   Decided against the mini because its too close to the size of my iPod touch.   I have been watching Quilting Arts and have been able to download and view their digital media.  I'm not sure the iPad Retina is worth its price to me but the iPad 2 is perfect for me.    Even found a cover/stand in gray suede for less than $20 and a stylus/pen for $5 at Big Lots.    I'm groovin'!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,457
Points 361,872
Kris replied on Wed, Dec 5 2012 1:14 AM

Maggie,

I'm glad you got something you like. WTG.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,422
Points 23,795
Maggie replied on Wed, Dec 5 2012 11:05 AM

Thanks Kris, so far it does everything I need it to do but haven't really read from it.   I got a reference book from the library and loaded it and reading was good but so far the physical books I have wanted haven't been available as an ebook yet.  I'm too cheap to buy them      Glad you got your Nook early!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,784
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Wed, Dec 5 2012 5:06 PM

I have an ACER Android, with WIFI...love it, internet, books, games.  The size is just right for travel and i can also use MIFI when no WIFI available.

Once my great niece got her cell phone and texting, she no longer used it so gave it to me, thanks to Dad (my nephew).

I have friend with i-pads, tablets and everything that's the latest, I can  only use 1 at a time so will just use what I'm privileged to have for now.

• | Post Points: 35
Page 4 of 5 (69 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use