I-Pad vs. Tablet

Page 3 of 5 (69 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 68 Replies | 10 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,517
Points 47,270

This board seems to have disappeared. I had to go search for it this morning, couldn't find it anywhere. In looking back through old boards I found questions about watching QNNTV on the ipad. One of the main activities I see for myself with a tablet or ipad would be to watch those videos. Has anyone, tablet owner or ipad owner, been successful watching those videos? Also, if I have my quilting magazines on a tablet or ipad can I print patterns from the magazine? The purchase price of either device would pay for lots of fabric if it won't do what I want. I already have a Kindle so do have a basic reader.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,422
Points 23,795
Maggie replied on Sat, Oct 20 2012 10:32 AM

Hi Pat,

I am pretty sure you can watch QNN and Craftsy classes on ipad and the tablet with a  wi-fi connection.  I can watch them on my phone.   I also have a wireless printer and have seen software advertised that allows you to even print from your phone. 

I took the leap yesterday and decided to go with the Kindle Fire HD.  It has the most happy reviews in the price range and their product support seems to be the best.   Almost bought it at Best Buy but their 2 year no fault warranty is $20 more than Amazon's, so I'll anxiously await its arrival -- Amazon has a HUGE facility about 20 miles from me but that doesn't always make a fast delivery. 

Interesting enough -- both warranty's specifically say water drops and spilled liquids -- neither of them cover immersion - so if you drop it in the pool or lake, it doesn't look like its covered -- hopefully, I'll never find out. 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,517
Points 47,270

Maggie, that is exciting! I will be looking forward to reading your up close and personal review. LOL. I wouldn't expect the warranty to cover it if you dropped it in a lake, but water drops? My laptop is starting to make me think it is on its was out so I am looking at tablets. I am going back and forth between the Fire HD and the Nexus 7 The Nexus is supposed to be coming out with a 32G for $249 which is what the 32G Fire HD costs. So, I guess it comes down to which one has more things I would want to download. I got an email from Craftsy that said there is now an app for ipad to watch their classes. That was the alert to me that maybe I couldn't do everything I wanted with a tablet. An ipad is not in my financial picture anytime soon so

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,422
Points 23,795
Maggie replied on Tue, Oct 23 2012 11:30 PM

woo hoo   I am posting from my new Kindle Fire HD.   took me a whole lotta tries  Just hope i can do it again

I do like it

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,517
Points 47,270

Wow, you got it quickly! I am still on the fence. Don't think I want to spend the bucks for the ipad mini, but not sure about Kindle Fire HD vs Nexus 7. Did Kris ever report on her playtime with the Nook?

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,823
Points 365,992
Kris replied on Thu, Oct 25 2012 1:50 AM

I did not report but I do like it Pat. I think I'll be getting one. It's more suited to my needs (tons of books from Barnes & Noble). I'm an Apple person but I will pass on the iPad in any size.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,422
Points 23,795
Maggie replied on Fri, Oct 26 2012 1:15 AM

Argggggggh!!!!!    Happened to check my American Express account today and found that the Kindle Fire I paid for with Amazon Gift Cards (6 of them purchased just for the Kindle) was charged to my charge card and I have a credit for the gift cards.     In effect, they double charged me.    After spending an hour on the phone with evereyone up the food chain, the only resolution is to send back the tablet, plug, and stylus and cancel the warranty and they will credit my Amex and allow me to buy another one and use the credit from the cards.   So now have to delete all my content, pack everything up, take it to UPS and wait.   I will never ever let a vendor store a credit card number again -- they just zap a charge on it without your approval.   Grrrrrrr.   I told them I would no longer be a customer of their's and my daughter who has collected Amazon cards for her birthday will not buy from them either.     B ut, they are holding $375 in gift cards that can only be used at Amazon.

A solution hit me sometime tonight while watching a Criminal Minds DVD that I will put my daughter's cards with my credit and purchase the iPad mini.  I already use itunes as my library and for apps on my iPod.  Either the mini or the Google Nexus 7==I have an Android phone.   I refuse to be held hostage to purchasing all my apps thru Amazon.  I am done with them.  As far as their mp3 music/movies, they have the same standard as itunes -- you buy a license to play a song or movie, you never own that movie/music.    Phew, maybe my blood pressure will come back down now

Thanks for listening -- this is becoming a saga!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,517
Points 47,270

Maggie, that is awful. Amazon is showing a lack of intelligence with this one. I don't blame you for ditching them. Unfortunately I have heard complaints from people about being held hostage to Apple with their apps. I guess there is no perfect tablet or plan. I was leaning towards Kindle Fire, but this is sure a black mark against it in my opinion. Good luck.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,509
Points 30,680
Diana replied on Fri, Oct 26 2012 6:35 AM

Maybe I'm too old or too stubborn, but I don't want any of those thingys.  I have no idea how they work or what they actually are.  I never even owned an MP3 player...whatever that is.  I have cd's for music that I buy and I own......I have a laptop puter that I take pretty much everywhere when I travel and usually have WIFI service wherever I go.  I can listen to the music on that too.  I can watch tv programs, videos....etc.

Smaller doesn't always mean better...just my 2 cents worth.

Diana (Bink) in East Tn.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,422
Points 23,795
Maggie replied on Fri, Oct 26 2012 11:37 AM

I had no problem with the product or purchasing apps  from a specific site.  The problem is that Amazon can change your method of payment without your approval and in order to use their apps you have to allow them to store that info.   

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Fri, Oct 26 2012 11:43 AM

Maggie

I am so sorry that you had this problem with Amazon.  I have always had  great service with them and have never had a problem with resolutions.  I hope you get all this worked out.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,422
Points 23,795
Maggie replied on Fri, Oct 26 2012 11:50 AM

Me too Nana, I have had problems with them before but have been able to resolve them    

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,415
Points 415,724
gini replied on Fri, Oct 26 2012 12:03 PM

well, pooh on amazon, maggie. 

diana, i have an ipad, and it is a fun little toy.  it does everything i need to do on a computer and fits in a smallish purse. it is great for traveling on a plane.   i think any of these little gadgets work about the same.  it's just a computer in mini, and now they are getting smaller. 

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,517
Points 47,270

LOL, Diana you are not necessarily old or stupid because you don't want a tablet. I have a laptop that is on its way out of this life and would like to replace it with something that would fit in my purse that I could take with me. I never thought I would want something so small because I didn't think I could see well enough to read it. My son gave me a plain, b&w Kindle last year for Christmas and I was suprised at how easy it is to read. I have a cell phone that is not a smartphone because I am pretty sure I am not smart enough to use one of those. lol. I went to have my brakes done after work yesterday. There were four of us in the waiting room. The other 3 were all texting or surfing or something on their phones and one guy was using his ipad in between texts. I was left with my "dumb" phone and the boring magazines they had there, not one quilting mag, lol  I do text, but not continually like some folks. Anyway, since I was there for 2 hours it would have been nice to have something to entertain me. I just can't make up my mind about what to buy. I think I am waiting for a voice from heaven to say, "Pat, you need the ___________" roflol

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,422
Points 23,795
Maggie replied on Fri, Oct 26 2012 12:21 PM

gini:

well, pooh on amazon, maggie. 

I agree Gini, even without the Hershey's Kiss!     Since I will have almost $400 in credits (between my and my daughter's credits), I have just about settled on the iPad mini.   I love my iPod and haven't had any problems with adding non iTunes music and movies to my iTunes library.  I think the iPad works the same as far as the library goes.     I may even have enough credits to buy one of those keyboard covers or a stand. 

Page 3 of 5 (69 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use