Top 10 Posters

Are you ready for MQ7

Page 30 of 141 (2107 items) « First ... < Previous 28 29 30 31 32 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 2,106 Replies | 85 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Points 225
patanne replied on Tue, Nov 6 2012 11:17 PM

Hi Nana! I've become an MQ addict and can't wait to get started! I'm at home with a sinus infection so I'm playing with fabric values imagining what the finished quilt will look like. Not sure if it's the decongestant kicking in, but I'm a little confused by the cutting instructions! I'd like to use ten black and white fabrics. After I've cut two 51/2 by wof, do I cut the 2 by 91/2 in and 3 by 91/2 out of these? if so, how will I have 5 by 91/2 strips left? I'm usually an accomplished quilter but can't seem to get this! Must be the medications! LOL and help!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,765
Nana replied on Wed, Nov 7 2012 9:24 AM

Pat Anne

Cut your 5 1/2 in wof strip into 8  5 1/2 x 9 1/2 strips.  Then take half of these strips and cut a 2 x 9 1/2 in strip off of each one.   This will leave you with 3 piles of strips  one pile 5 1/2 x 9 1/2, one  3 1/2 x 9 1/2,  and one  2  x 9 1/2.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 449
Points 8,560
Jan replied on Wed, Nov 7 2012 11:52 AM

Alright, I am in.  I have 3 quilt tops done needing backing, quilting, and binding and 2 more tops to finish for Christmas presents.  I am working 4 mornings a week instead of 1 through the first of the year.  My oldest granddaughter had a blast doing the MQ6 with me in the spring and she came home (she and Mom live with us) and said that her homeroom teacher wants to have a quilt made for a "project compassion" project, as she is a single Mom who just lost her only son. He wants it ASAP and she told him we would have it done by December 15.  This mystery quilt comes at a perfect time for that.  We will see if I can accomplish all.  If not, the kids will get their completions as soon as I can get them done.  I told DH I just need to quit my paying job. :) .  Right....then where would I get the money to quilt! But, because she is the driving force in the project, she will be responsible to get the pictures up. (she knows how)

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,327
Points 27,985
Marsha-SM replied on Wed, Nov 7 2012 11:56 AM

MNnancy:
I have more yardage of the all off-white daisy - suppose that would work?

If I had seen that bundle, I probably would have bought it even though I don't usually spend full price for fabrics.  I LOVE Daisies!!!  Personally, I would use the white daisy for borders - it is the lightest of your collection and would bring out the white in your other fabrics

Marsha - Western New York

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,465
Points 362,017
Kris replied on Wed, Nov 7 2012 12:07 PM

I'm enjoying all the fabric choices. Nice job.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 163
Points 2,310
Gina replied on Wed, Nov 7 2012 12:27 PM

Here's the fat quarters I have on hand that I decided to put to use with this MQ7.  I will have to buy a few more to make a total of 20, but I'm sure I won't have a problem finding FQ's that have matching colors.  I won this set of FQ's from McCall's last year, on one of their online contests.  And I just love them!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 75
Points 1,320

MNancy, I'll have to see what the mq looks like, before I commit to a border :)  A bright medium-royal blue might be just the ticket, though, and I have lots of blues.  Not quite solid, but tone-on-tone that looks solid-y.

-- Bayla

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,467
Points 116,715

Gina, these are gorgeous fabrics. Your quilt will be beautiful

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 131
Points 2,300
Tracy replied on Wed, Nov 7 2012 1:29 PM

Hey, is anyone else NOT washing their fabrics, first? I'm about to throw caution to the wind and just press before cutting, but...

Tracy

~Tracy

Western Massachusetts

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,333
Points 20,025

Tracy:

Hey, is anyone else NOT washing their fabrics, first? I'm about to throw caution to the wind and just press before cutting, but...

Tracy

I do it all the time.  Just make sure that if you're not pre-washing that you're not pre-washing anything (e.g., Don't wash the backing if you didn't wash your quilt top fabrics.).  Also, if you happen to be using good quality quilt shop fabrics, you probably don't have anything to worry about, since they shouldn't bleed or shrink much at all. 

Raleigh, NC

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,333
Points 20,025

Also, this is a pretty common topic, so if you want to hear a whole bunch of opinions on the topic, you can probably find something by searching the message boards.  I think there was a thread about this fairly recently.

Raleigh, NC

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,488
Points 47,820
Frances replied on Wed, Nov 7 2012 1:37 PM

Tracy:

Tracy

Tracy,

Its up to you, i personally dont wash mine first (unless im doing applique) because i love cutting crisp new fabric.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 131
Points 2,300
Tracy replied on Wed, Nov 7 2012 1:44 PM

Thank you both so much, I feel better now. I know this is a hotly contested topic amongst quilters in general, but thought I would just ask anyway, since this would be the first time I do NOT wash before using. 

Tracy

~Tracy

Western Massachusetts

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Everyone's fabrics are so pretty...I cannot wait to see where we go from here.

I have not cut mine yet, I'm still waiting for an order. I hope it is here by the end of the week and I don't get behind at the very beginning of this.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Points 225
patanne replied on Wed, Nov 7 2012 1:49 PM

Got it! My head is much cleared today. Lesson learned, don't try sorting out cutting instructions when taking medications! Thanks Nana!

Page 30 of 141 (2107 items) « First ... < Previous 28 29 30 31 32 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use