This post has 19 Replies | 7 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 155
brown26101 Posted: Tue, Oct 16 2012 8:19 PM

I am new at quilting. It is something that I want to do but have never

tried it for fear of not doing it right. Hoping that I can learn alot from

Quilters Club of America long the way. Thanks for being there

to help us newbee's find their way throught.

• | Post Points: 95
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 844
Points 15,655

Welcome  brown26101.  This is a great place to learn & get help when you need it.  Everyone is friendly & helpful.  Check out the different groups to find one or more you are interested in.  Sometimes the best way to learn is to jump right in.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,649
Points 135,942
Leslie replied on Tue, Oct 16 2012 8:28 PM

Welcome Brown

[Ava, Missouri

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,391
Points 19,270

brown26101:

tried it for fear of not doing it right.

Hi brown26101. So don't be afraid. Once you relax, you will love doing it. There a lot of tutorials on YouTube. That is mainly how I learned to quilt. I am not usually too comfortable going to new places by myself so it was easier to go to YouTube. You are also right, you will learn a lot from all the wonderful people on these forums. Good luck to you and I'm looking forward to seeing some of you work on the "Show and Tell Gallery". No one will mind how many questions you ask. So ask away. And have fun.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,344
Points 126,144

brown26101:

Hi and welcome to QCA. Don't be afraid, just jump right in and go for it.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,760
Points 247,454
Barbara replied on Tue, Oct 16 2012 10:33 PM

Hi Brown welcome to the club .

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,819
Points 352,402
Kris replied on Wed, Oct 17 2012 12:43 AM

brown26101:

Welcome. There's no right and wrong in quilting. Just jump right in and go where it takes you. You might like the traditional style or you might prefer free form quilting. You never know.

You'll certainly learn a lot here.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Wed, Oct 17 2012 10:37 AM

Welcome and enjoy your time with us.  Ask all the questions you like.  There is always someone here that can help.   Just have fun with your quilting...there is no right and wrong.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,110
Points 410,979
gini replied on Wed, Oct 17 2012 11:14 PM

hi brown welcome to the group

gini in north idaho

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 69
Points 1,690
Debbie replied on Mon, Oct 22 2012 8:46 AM

Good Morning! Wanted to ask a question, but do not see how except to reply to another post. Lol...anyway...my question:

I have completed a King Size Bargello Heart Quilt in WVU Mountaineer colors and theme. It turned out really nice! I

took a class at a local shop to learn the process of Bargello. Unfortunately, I did not get to go back for the borders lesson and now I want to add the borders. The quilt ended up being 84 x  84. They recommend two borders and I have the material (it was a kit), but not sure what size the borders should be. 2 inch and 4 inch...3 inch and 5 inch? 

Thanks for any advice on this one...lol

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,110
Points 410,979
gini replied on Mon, Oct 22 2012 10:25 AM

hi debbie, welcome to the group.   to start a new thread, go up to the right hand side of the column and in red you will see some headings.   click on forum subscritions and that will direct you where you need to be to start a new thread.   clicking on reply works too. 

as to borders, fold your border material in differing widths and hold it up to your quilt sides. pick the width that looks best to you.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,344
Points 126,144

gini:

hi debbie, welcome to the group.   to start a new thread, go up to the right hand side of the column and in red you will see some headings.   click on forum subscritions and that will direct you where you need to be to start a new thread.   clicking on reply works too. 

as to borders, fold your border material in differing widths and hold it up to your quilt sides. pick the width that looks best to you.

Hi Debbie and welcome. 

I wanted to add to what gini said.... after you click on Forum Subscriptions it brings up a list of Forums, just pick the one that best describes where you think your question should be and click on that i.e. Quiltmaking or maybe Off Topic - then you will see at the top Write a New post or Mark Subscriptions Read, click on Write a new post (which actually starts a new thread?)  Then you can just ask your question or like gini said just find a thread and ask it there. 

Most of all have a great time and I look forward to getting to know you!

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,162
Points 15,470
Susan replied on Mon, Oct 22 2012 12:00 PM

Welcome Brown! Where are you from and if you dont mind what is your name??? You will find many helpful quilters here more than willing to give away their expertise.   Susan

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 155

Hello Susan,

My name is Brenda and I live in WV. How about you?

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 610
Points 9,025
MaggieNae replied on Mon, Oct 22 2012 2:29 PM

Welcome to our new quilt buddies.  For new quilters, I recommend joining the Mystery Quilt group and check out MQV.  It was fairly easy.  These are fun groups and there is usually an "Ask Questions" discussion link for them.  We are also going to be starting MQVII soon.  There are all kinds of places on this site as a whole to get help.  Remember, we learn by doing.  So don't be afraid.  Seam rippers were invented for a reason.  None of us here are perfect (but there really is some awesome work to check out in the Show and Tell Gallery).  We love to see your progress too, so post photos of your work. If you ask for help or advice, you will surely get it here along with lots of support and praise.  No question is not worth asking (like what is MQVII - Mystery Quilt Seven). 

Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use