Top 10 Posters

sewing machine tables

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 33 Replies | 7 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
10 Posts
Points 155
Sharon posted on Tue, Oct 16 2012 10:49 AM

I have seen ads for two different portable sewing machine tables in various quilt magazines.  It seems that they are only available online.  I would like to see them before I buy, but also would like to know if anyone has one and what they like or dislike about them.

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,606 Posts
Points 178,433
Marie replied on Tue, Oct 16 2012 4:23 PM

Ginny:
I,m sorry I know it isn't a laughing matter for you.  You may kick me in my behind for this. 

ROFLOL  Ginny, no kicks from me, I nearly fell off the chair laughing.  You just about got that picture right, I'll take a snapshot and post it.  Thanks for responding.

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,443 Posts
Points 127,624

Marie:
Any ideas for this munchkin?

Maybe instead of a storage box you could get someone to build you a platform for your chair and under your table (it would have to fit inside the legs of your table underneath and would probably need to be wider in front of the table for your chair, I'm seeing somewhat of a T shaped platform) so that you are at the correct height, that way you could put your feet on the floor, so to speak, and be at the correct level for your arms without raising your chair. It would have to be big enough so your chair could move around and probably need some kind of a ledge to stop your chair from falling off if it rolls.

That was probably clear as mud, I can see it in my head but probably did not explain it very well.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,606 Posts
Points 178,433
Marie replied on Tue, Oct 16 2012 4:49 PM

Spudgrandma:
That was probably clear as mud, I can see it in my head but probably did not explain it very well.

That was perfectly clear Spud, thank you.  My son has a carpenter friend and I'll ask him what he can do for me and suggest the very thing you suggest.  Wish I had asked earlier because even with my chair raised my arms are not exactly as they should be for sewing, I still have to reach up a bit.

Millbury, MA

Top 50 Contributor
2,878 Posts
Points 40,520
ls2116 replied on Tue, Oct 16 2012 4:53 PM

I'm short too but I haven't experienced that but other than a safety belt you might want to try cutting a square of that rubber grip they sell for throw rugs hope it helps.

Quilting My Rainbow

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Female
41 Posts
Points 1,835

I've been looking at the Sew Perfect table but haven't ordered one yet.  I would like to find a dealer that has them so I can see it first.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
77 Posts
Points 1,665
JodyS replied on Tue, Oct 16 2012 6:05 PM

Barbara, I bought a Sew Perfect table and I love it. It's pretty much indestructible! I love the fact it has a bottom bar that goes all the way across and keeps the foot pedal from going anywhere. The one I bought was the J table for my Janome 6500. That thing is so well built and easy to  put together.

Not Ranked
Female
10 Posts
Points 155
Sharon replied on Tue, Oct 16 2012 7:33 PM

JodyS, where did you get it? I have not even seen ads for that one.  I have a Janome also.  I have it sitting on a table I built for my serger.  Way to small, and not the right height.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
77 Posts
Points 1,665
JodyS replied on Wed, Oct 17 2012 7:23 AM

I bought mine online  from

http://sewperfecttables.com/

It arrived in 4 boxes and took about 1/2 hour to set up.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,606 Posts
Points 178,433
Marie replied on Wed, Oct 17 2012 8:45 AM

I love the Safety Belt idea.  :  )

Reading on, I went to the Sew Perfect site and wish I had seen this table before I purchased mine.  Mine is a very sturdy and nice table but not for the height challenged.  The SP table can be lowered to 24.5" which would be perfect for me.  My table is 30" and not adjustable.

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,778 Posts
Points 247,949

fMarie ,is ther no way to just cut the legs on your table to size to fit you ? Seems to me that would take care of the problem.Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,606 Posts
Points 178,433
Marie replied on Wed, Oct 17 2012 12:41 PM

Barbara:

fMarie ,is ther no way to just cut the legs on your table to size to fit you ? Seems to me that would take care of the problem.Barbara

Don't I wish.  If you look closely at the back of the table, no legs, comes from under the table at the back right around to the front legs.  Hope this picture explains.

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,443 Posts
Points 127,624

Marie:
Hope this picture explains.

Bummer, Marie.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 25 Contributor
Female
3,608 Posts
Points 52,050
Ginny replied on Wed, Oct 17 2012 1:07 PM

Oh my gosh, Marie.  They must want you to stand up to use the sewing machine.  I've never seen anything quite like that.  But then I guess I don't get around to those places since I got my "Baby"   Ginny

Top 100 Contributor
Female
730 Posts
Points 18,300

Marie:

Barbara:

Don't I wish.  If you look closely at the back of the table, no legs, comes from under the table at the back right around to the front legs.  Hope this picture explains.

If you are willing to do a bit of work, it can be shorted rather easily since the "legs" are round tubes.  Use a tube cutter to cut off the amount you need to shorten it on both front and back.  Then use an appropriately sized tube connector to put it all back together.  If you will be moving it around, instead of the wimpy screws that come with the tube connectors, use longer self-tapping screws and they will be secure enough so you can move the table without them slipping.  If asthetics are important, spray paint the tube connectors to match your table before putting them on.   From looking at the table, I'd say you could shorten it by 3-4" easily.  Maybe even a bit more.   The Gidget I have is 27" high which is perfect for me as I'm only 5'4". 

Brigit-Carol

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,579 Posts
Points 139,858

Marie:
 Any ideas for this munchkin?

If this is something you think you'll be keeping forever,  I'd consider hiring a carpenter and having the legs on the table cut down to a comfortable height. 

Page 2 of 3 (34 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use