Machine Applique

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Not Ranked
18 Posts
Points 345
Quilter2011 posted on Sun, Oct 14 2012 8:34 PM

I'm making an October wall hanging with fusible and applique and it is my first time doing both. After I have the fabric fused down and ready to stich, how do I machine stitch around the design without it puckering? Do I stablize it or just stitch, I have no idea. Anyone's expertise is welcome.

Thanks,

Quilter2011

• | Post Points: 35

All Replies

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,059 Posts
Points 13,715
Carey replied on Sun, Oct 14 2012 8:45 PM

I just stitched around it usually the fusible keeps it pasted onto the layer beneath it so there will be no puckering unless youre using a bad brand or bad batch of the stuff in which it is usually just a corner or section that doesn't stick. Did you iron the fusible to the fabric and your background fabric as well. If you did that you should be fine with just stitching.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
18 Posts
Points 345

Thank you very much! Now I can get back to my project. :)

Quilter2011

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,446 Posts
Points 127,674

Hi Quilter 2011. I just did some on a wall hanging that I started at the retreat and I got out my tear-away stabilizer as I did not like the way it looked without it, I also think it helped keep everything from distorting. Now, it may not be a big deal depending on what stitch you use to stitch around, I used a satin stitch.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,741 Posts
Points 436,790
Nana replied on Mon, Oct 15 2012 12:56 PM

Spud

If I do a satin stitch for my fused applique I use a stabilizer as well.   It seems that the heavy stitching always causes puckers if you don't use a stabilizer.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.