Never quilted before

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 18 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 180
titus2mother Posted: Sat, Oct 13 2012 11:55 PM

Hello my name is Vanessa. I want to learn to quilt so desperately.

Where should I begin?

Very kindly,

• | Post Points: 110
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,482
Points 47,700
Frances replied on Sun, Oct 14 2012 1:38 AM

Hi Vanessa, and welcome,

Im frances from England so my advice (for what its worth) is likely to be different to everyone else, most on here will probably advise you to take a learners course, and if you can thats certainly the best course. However i wasnt able to so i brought a DVD and a book called the Complete Sampler book by Lynne Edwards since the book covered all different blocks with different techniques used (i still havent finished the quilt but it did give me knowledge on how to do it).

lots of love

Francesxx

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,496
Points 30,450
Diana replied on Sun, Oct 14 2012 5:12 AM

Welcome and we'll help you along. 

First to find a quilt shop and see if they have any beginner classes.  If not, find a local quilt guild and explain that you want to learn how to quilt.  We are a giving bunch and we all like to pass on our love of quilting.  Maybe someone in the guild would even be willing to give you private lessons.  Good Luck I hope you will let us know how you are doing.  Where do you live and someone on here just might be local to you and can meet up with you to help you along.  We have a lot of the states pretty well covered.

Diana in East Tn.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,650
Points 135,977
Leslie replied on Sun, Oct 14 2012 6:32 AM

Hi Vanessa, welcome.  I started with my LQS, doing a BOM

[Ava, Missouri

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Sun, Oct 14 2012 6:39 AM

Welcome Vanessa, you can also get some online classes ,thru y-tube ,get some books from the library ,and the best is to go to a quilt shop and see if the have lessons for beginners.  Quiltshops love to help and of cousre once you get started we can help you here as well . Good luck ,its worth it ,honest

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 96
Points 2,025
Barb S replied on Sun, Oct 14 2012 7:22 AM

Hi Vaness, and welcome!  Quick start to quilting:  1.  Go to  a fabric store or quilt shop and  buy a beginner's quilt book -- there are many good ones.  You want a book that starts with all the basics. 2.  The book you choose should include a chapter on quilting supplies; buy the basics,  don't go crazy with getting all the gadgets at this point.  If you learn to love quilting you will inevitably begin collecting both fabric and tools.  Besides, you will need to decide whether you will be a hand quilter or a machine quilter, or both. 3. Now you are ready to begin quilting.  Expect to make mistakes.  Don't sweat the small stuff.  Enjoy!

BarbS

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 643
Points 12,580

Our local community college holds quilting classes at a quilt shop. If you'd like the atmosphere of learning with a group, you may want to check with a community college. Good luck!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,446
Points 361,712
Kris replied on Sun, Oct 14 2012 8:55 PM

Welcome Vanessa. You've gotten some great advice already. There are some great books out there if you are a self motivated learner. That's how I got into quilting.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 50
Points 790

Welcome...all great advice. I started at my LQS (local quilt shop) and took a beginners class and it's been non-stop ever since. What kind of sewing background do you have? The guild idea is good and I'm sure you can find a mentor there...we all love to teach our craft. Good luck and I look forward to seeing some of your projects.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,604

Hi Vanessa and welcome to QCA and to quilting. You have been given some great information. I went from sewing to quilting and I bought a book with the basics and just jumped in with both feet, made a lot of mistakes, but I hung in there. I learn something new everyday about quilting and I think that is one of the things I really like about it, it is never dull.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 180

I hope this goes out to all of you. Thank you for so much immediate encouragement.

I will take everything you say and sift and use it all. So thank you!

A few things...being VERY new I don't have a clue what your abbreviations mean. Please write them out for a while.

Secondly, what are a few potential beginner books for me to choose from? That would be of great help. I mean really beginner books.

and to answer a question I was asked...I am an intermediate seamstress. I am just getting ready this week to take some advanced lessons from a master seamstress that I found. So I have a nice machine and know the basic structure to sewing. But cutting patterns for clothing and cutting precision triangles etc. is much different. I know I tried and was so discouraged a year ago I just gave up. But I have a 9 month old daughter and a son due in 3 1/2 months and I want to learn. I want to make beautiful quilts for them and my family.

Thank You again ladies and I hope to get to know you as quilting friends!

Vanessa

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,337
Points 414,644
gini replied on Sun, Oct 14 2012 11:49 PM

Hi Vanessa, the thing that is the hardest when you go from clothing to quilting is getting the seam allowance accurate.   You need to do a scant 1/4 inch seam in quilting to get all the fusty little piece to come together happily.    You'll pick that up in no time.   Welcome to the gang, and I hope you think of us when you need some help or encouragement, or if you just want to chat.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,446
Points 361,712
Kris replied on Mon, Oct 15 2012 2:45 PM

titus2mother:
A few things...being VERY new I don't have a clue what your abbreviations mean. Please write them out for a while.

Vanessa,

many of the acronyms we use are listed in the community blog. Click here.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 180

thank you!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 624
Points 9,310
MaggieNae replied on Mon, Oct 15 2012 3:14 PM

Great advice from everyone.  My beginning was two large pieces of fabric and a sewing machine.  If you really want to just jump right in, I would start with some square pieces, doesn't matter what size (but they should be the same).  Start by practicing sewing them together with straight lines in 1/4" seams.  You will find this web site is full of help and lots of people to ask questions to.  There's usually someone answering pretty quickly.  We love to see photos of  your progress as well.  So don be worried, there are no quilting police here.  Everyone is quite freindly.  When you need help, remember we're here.

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use