Page 6 of 6 (87 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 86 Replies | 11 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,549
Points 245,862
Thea replied on Sat, Oct 20 2012 10:18 AM

Is - you are so right - I lost all my eagerness with the SnW - I do like it but something just didn't seem to flow the way I wanted it to - so rather then just put it together and not completely like it - have shelved it for a few days while I work on Rita's quilt.  The ideas are flowing for that quilt right now and I have been working on and off on it for a long time - I did find that perfect fabric to tie it all together while shopping with Barbara prior to retreat - so that is absolutely wonderful ... once it has started going together - I'll probably get SnW back on the design wall - I had to put off anything till I can match that red in the quilt as I think I want to have the final border pull that color really out so it jumps at you - but it is a hard one to match - am looking though!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,241
Points 25,160
Elizabeth replied on Sat, Oct 20 2012 11:19 AM

got the book Stack and wackier.  Am going to make the quilt on the cover as a baby quilt... Thanks for the inspirationThea.

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,819
Points 39,825
ls2116 replied on Sat, Oct 20 2012 12:57 PM

Have you thought about using a solid for border Country Classics at Joanns has afull spectrum of colors.  Just a thought.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 180
Points 2,310
MizPat replied on Sun, Oct 21 2012 4:03 AM

Thea, love your S&W! I took a class years back, when the first book was new, but never finished the quilt. Seeing yours has inspired me to get my class quilt out and see what happens. My fabric is an off-white ground with pink and purple tulips. The octogons are all varied and the sense of movement is incredible. I had some problems with my blocks cupping, so I may end up frogging a lot of them, but now, I want to see the finished quilt.

Thanks for the kick-start, Thea. I pray that your life issues don't totally overwhelm the creative, enthusiastic person you are.

BTW, did you ever look to see what line the fabric is from? I'd like to look at the other fabrics in that line, as I love the colors and designs in your quilt. Please post that info, even if the quilt has been relegated to the WIP box for the moment.

in Albuquerque

It's Quilting! You're supposed to be having fun!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,458
Points 416,689
gini replied on Sun, Oct 21 2012 10:24 PM

thea, i know that somewhere here you mentioned adding some boxes or other elements to your quilt.   i just posted some quilts from the spokane show and one of them has some added elements that you might be interested in .

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 0
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 18
Points 265

Very striking design!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 478
Points 6,090
Isabella replied on Tue, Oct 23 2012 11:41 AM

Hi Thea,

I just saw this thread and I am absolutely amazed by your SnW quilt. I remember seeing the fabric in Des Moines and it's amazing how many different blocks you came up with.  

I miss you and all the other girls, the retreat was a great fun and I am already counting the days to the next one. I have not sewn anything since I came back but I have reorganized my little sewing corner and I am ready to start some Christmas projects.

Ciao

Isabella

Isabella

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 721
Points 14,105

I've been working on a One Block Wonder-directed quilt using hexagons and I'm really liking how it's turning out so far!  What I'm wondering may be just a matter of semantics, but what is the difference among One Block Wonder, Stack 'n Whack, and Kaleidoscope quilts? When Thea was displaying her progress here, it was referred to Stack 'n Whack, then as One Block Wonder. When reading my One Block Wonder book, I read where the author refers to the blocks as kaleidoscope blocks. However, a have a book by Eleanor Burns about kaleidoscope quilts and they don't look anything like the One Block Wonder. Are they all the same, just different terms depending on the author, or are there differences?

Thea, did you finish yours? The colors were so pretty!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 642
Points 16,275
Zsofia replied on Wed, Nov 28 2012 1:12 PM

Hi Carol - as far as a know stack'n wack has a sashing around the block and the block is made with HST(connectingthreads.com has a tutorial how to make them). One block wonders are kaleidoscope block without the corner triangles. One block wonders are made of 6 equilater triangles and it will be a hexagon when it finished, kaleidoscopes are made with 8 triangles and 4 corner triangles so the finished block is square. Hope it helps.

Zsofia

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,304
Points 29,595
Agnes replied on Wed, Nov 28 2012 7:58 PM

Zsofia:
stack'n wack has a sashing around the block and the block is made with HST(

By my understanding, using the first Stack'n'Whack by Bethany Reynolds, not necessarily so. The book has designs for blocks done with HST, equilateral triangles and half diamonds. They all use the same technique for cutting which is explained in great detail. Most in this book don't have sashings. My take on the question as to what the difference between the different terms is that there are a number of people who wrote books on a very similar topic. They just were looking for ways to not "copy cat" someone else and getting sued and also to use catch phrases or words to catch quilter's attentions. Can we deny that quilting may be a niche market but a very lucrative one?

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 721
Points 14,105

Well, I "looked inside" a Bethany Reynolds book on Amazon and found that Stack 'n Whack and One Block Wonder are similar in cutting technique but the difference is in the finished quilt. Reynolds adds other fabrics and sometimes does not complete the full hexagon or octagon as Rosenthal does. Rosenthal's thing is to use only one fabric and make only one type of block throughout the quilt. All her blocks are either hexagons or octagons.

Thanks to both of you, Zsofia and Agnes! You both were a great help. Do you ever have something minor that just bothers you till you figure it out? I feel  much better now!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,304
Points 29,595
Agnes replied on Thu, Nov 29 2012 9:19 AM

Thanks, Carol, for the comparison of the two designers on a similar technique. Well said. Now it comes down to personal preference as to which we execute when we want to go this route or whether we make a new marriage of styles. Our inner designer has a place to roam.

Agnes in NW Ontario

Page 6 of 6 (87 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use