Thea, looks great. I really enjoy doing SnW

[Ava, Missouri

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 119
Points 1,995
Bonnie replied on Sun, Oct 14 2012 8:24 AM

I can't wait to see this quilt when it is finished! Love those stack and whacks!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,419
Points 243,307
Thea replied on Sun, Oct 14 2012 9:01 AM

Frances:
what book did you use???
Frances, The book I  is One Block Wonders by Maxine Rosenthal.

• | Post Points: 65
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,284
Points 29,000
Agnes replied on Sun, Oct 14 2012 9:28 AM

Thea--Thanks for sharing. I love making SW but haven't made any since the late 1990s.

To anyone having a book that gives you the method of cutting you really don't need to get another book. Use the method to create the blocks and then play with the blocks on the design board. The biggest difference between Bethany's SW and the One Block Wonders is just the fact that Bethanay uses background fabrics that then showcase each design and One Block Wonders squish them side by side.The end result is totally different looks. My personal taste is for showcasing each block but wonderful creations come the other way as well.

Agnes in NW Ontario

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,419
Points 243,307
Thea replied on Sun, Oct 14 2012 8:08 PM

Agnes, the only reason I would say to buy different books is the books I have have different blocks - the one block wonder book teaches you step by step the fabric preparation and cutting for hexagons or octagons.  The Bethany Reynolds books teach you how to do it with 1/2 square triangles and then putting the fabrics around your individual blocks to highlight the different designs made from a strip of fabric.  

I am loving the One block Wonder seeing how the different hexagons can change the whole look - I am having tons of fun putting them in different ways on the design wall.  You see different blocks pop out at you and see different colors pop too.  

I love too how she says she cut just a hexagon from the fabric and also put the cube blocks in - the ones I saw at the quilt show had flowers tumbling from inside the quilt to the outer borders - made it all exciting to me.  

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,499
Points 48,025
Frances replied on Sun, Oct 14 2012 11:15 PM

Thea,

Thank you, i have just ordered it, i really should stop coming on here i end up buying something new everytime and my to do list is getting longer..... ah well i didnt have anything else to do for the next 20 years.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,284
Points 29,000
Agnes replied on Mon, Oct 15 2012 12:13 AM

Thea:
Agnes, the only reason I would say to buy different books is the books I have have different blocks - the one block wonder book teaches you step by step the fabric preparation and cutting for hexagons or octagons.

Thea--I should add the following disclaimer on every post. I am a NON-CONfORMIST and therefore please ignore my opinion. lol I learned the cutting and preparation from a Bethany Reynolds book. With the first one I also actually followed the background placement, etc That is a real rarity in anything I do.Fortunately for the book authors and publishers it is a good thing that most people follow directions.and therefore buy books and magazines. I was so tired of buying books or attending classes and not using or actually participating because I always seemed to bring my own drummer to follow. 

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 398
Points 4,920
Jean replied on Mon, Oct 15 2012 6:19 AM

Thea,

Your quilt is looking beautiful.  Can't wait to see the final result.  Thanks for sharing.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,414
Points 61,767

Thea--

Beautiful job on your SnW!

Kissimmee, FL

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 467
Points 9,790
Pam replied on Mon, Oct 15 2012 10:06 AM

Thea- I was able to attend a class by Maxine Rosenthal at NW Quilt expo, Portland, 2 yrs. ago.  We did the blocks that are like tumbling blocks, but hollow. AND she gave us a bonus by doing a stack and whack demo! I still haven't done ANYthing of the ones we did at class (!) and after seeing the way yours is turning out-W O W !!!

I am so inspired now I am on the hunt for the perfect fabric- thanks!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 642
Points 16,275
Zsofia replied on Mon, Oct 15 2012 1:15 PM

Thea:

Frances:
what book did you use???
Frances, The book I  is One Block Wonders by Maxine Rosenthal.

Thea - I used the same book for my one block wonders. I have her 2nd and 3rd books which has directions for cubes too. (I have a cube quilt in my gallery I used the one block wonders encore! book to make the different cubes). These quilts are addictive especially if you have the right fabric!

Zsofia

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,045
Points 28,900
Ramona replied on Mon, Oct 15 2012 1:38 PM

Thea,

Wow, what an amazing trip. I have enjoyed the ride so far. Can't wait to see what's at the end.

I took a SnW class years ago with a friend. We purchased our fabrics and I thought I would never care much for the quilt so I made a wall hanging, she made a queen. Of course, I had regrets of not making at least a queen quilt.  I really enjoyed the process and was a little upset with myself when I could have gotten a beautiful quilt done instead of the small lap or wall hanging.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 109
Points 1,005
barbjahay replied on Mon, Oct 15 2012 5:26 PM

Your quilt is going to be great! I have made several that look like the Kalidoscope style but none of them are as fantastic as yours. Maybe I just need to use brighter colors. I have quilted some different variations that friends have made. How are you going to quilt it. Maybe try some varigated thread?

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Mon, Oct 15 2012 6:08 PM

Oh Thea ,I went and bought all three of her One Block wonder books today . just figured I'd needed them all .I'm so bad..LOL   

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,849
Points 85,825
Sukochi replied on Mon, Oct 15 2012 6:18 PM

Barbara:
.I'm so bad..LOL   

Barbara, you not bad, you prepared!!!  you never know, when there may blow in a storm that will require the use of SnW!

Sukochi

Page 3 of 6 (87 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use